CA Road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfendrick

Premium Subscriber
Very soon the wife and I will be taking a road trip from AZ (Phx Metro) to Santa Barbara area and will be taking our Pro-94 scanner with us. Is there any particular frequencies we should have programmed to monitor for interesting listening on the trip

kma371

QRT
Very soon the wife and I will be taking a road trip from AZ (Phx Metro) to Santa Barbara area and will be taking our Pro-94 scanner with us. Is there any particular frequencies we should have programmed to monitor for interesting listening on the trip

depends what you find is interesting :) it's probably best to tell us what you want to monitor.

wfendrick

Premium Subscriber
Oh sure, make me have to narrow it down ;-)

Police calls, fire calls, ambulance calls, and really just anything that would be good steady listening for the trip where FM radio would be normally cutting out.

I figured maybe Highway patrol, and then any channel that would supply constant chatter. I mean there is a lot of frequencies listed but we have all had times where there was no chatter on any of the programmed channels (200 channels and nothing on).

Please keep in mind that the Pro-94 is analog only, non encrypted.

InlandAZ

I recently did the same, but not all the way to Santa Barbara (Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa area) - I sure miss monitoring those systems, all analog, all loud and clear :)

There may be a few digital trunked systems in the area, but these appear to still be active as well -

Santa Barbara County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The CHP are still on low band as far as I'm aware, so tune them in as well -

California Highway Patrol (CHP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I have 2 SD cards for my 668, so I loaded one up for the desert part of the trip - IIRC I was receiving MCSO and DPS.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=126
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=848

Last edited:

JoeyC

I figured maybe Highway patrol, and then any channel that would supply constant chatter. I mean there is a lot of frequencies listed but we have all had times where there was no chatter on any of the programmed channels (200 channels and nothing on).

Once you get west of Beaumont/Banning area if your scanner is silent with all the systems and frequencies listed in the database, the culprit is likely your antenna system. If you are listening without a decent antenna system mounted in the ideal location on your vehicle, you are likely missing 90% of whats out there as the rubber duckies on portable scanners are LOUSY when traveling and even worse inside a vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.