Cabarrus County TRS Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Okay Like I promised!

I had a chance to sit down and talk with the current Cabarrus TRS administrator last night.

He advised me that the Cabarrus County TRS is slated to be migrated into the Char/Meck P-25 Digital system starting in July of this year.

He told me that he was going to have to reprogram well over 900 radios that are currently on the system for the City of Concord only.

He also told me that Cabarrus County, Kannapolis and all the volunteer fire departments will be responsible for the cost of reprogramming through Wireless Communications.

He told me that the DNC was wanting to use some of the talkgroups when the convention comes to town.

He was supposed to have a meeting with the Char/Meck P-25 officials to determine what talkgroups will be changed, deleted or added.

He told me that the current Cabarrus County Ops Channels 10-13 would be completely eliminated when the change occurs.

This is all he could tell me at the present time.

If I find out more as time goes by I will try and keep everyone updated.

Thanks

David

CFP387

He also told me that Cabarrus County, Kannapolis and all the volunteer fire departments will be responsible for the cost of reprogramming through Wireless Communications.

So this means that Kannapolis will be on the Char/Meck TRS P25 system. I wonder what that means for us here in Rowan? Since we are on our own stand alone system and not yet P25, how will we be able to communicate with them? We are not scheduled to switch to P25 digital until next year.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Well since Rowan is buying each department APX-7000 radios there should not be a problem with the Salisbury Radio Shop reprogramming the radios to the new Cabarrus/Char-Meck/Union P-25 Digital system talkgroups.

That was what the whole idea behind Rowan replacing the radios was all about. Plus some of the Salisbury Fireground and Training Channels are already digital.

The only reason I know about the APX-7000 radios being bought is I have a few people wanting me to help them sell their old MTS-2000's.

David

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well since Rowan is buying each department APX-7000 radios there should not be a problem with the Salisbury Radio Shop reprogramming the radios to the new Cabarrus/Char-Meck/Union P-25 Digital system talkgroups.

That was what the whole idea behind Rowan replacing the radios was all about. Plus some of the Salisbury Fireground and Training Channels are already digital.

The only reason I know about the APX-7000 radios being bought is I have a few people wanting me to help them sell their old MTS-2000's.

David

Yep. Those APX will play nice on the new P25 system.
Thanks for keeping us updated David!
Sorry I have not been as active over the last few days.
Work and being under the weather has kept me pretty much lurking for the
moment.
Should slow down by the weekend.
Marshall KE4ZNR

ZeroGravity

Premium Subscriber
Okay Like I promised!

He advised me that the Cabarrus County TRS is slated to be migrated into the Char/Meck P-25 Digital system starting in July of this year.

He was supposed to have a meeting with the Char/Meck P-25 officials to determine what talkgroups will be changed, deleted or added.

I think you have P25 and analog SmartZone confused.

The Concord TRS will become a subsystem of the CharMeck analog SZ system this year, hence the talk group changes. Many current Concord talk groups IDs are already active on CharMeck analog. The same talk group can't exist twice on the same system ID, so some Concord / Cabarrus talk groups will change.

trumpetman

Database Admin
ZG,

What would be the best way to transition via SmartX when the talkgroups in question are already in use between both systems? Will Concord have to transition to a new block of unused talkgroups (on the Char-Meck system), before they can link the the subsystem?

0x02F is CCSO on the Concord system and is EVT4 on the Charlotte system. Will they have to move CCSO to something unused.

And finally, is the controller limited to a single format of linking (hex only) or can you pair talkgroups on an individual basis, such as talkgroup 752 on the analog system with talkgroup 4567 on the digital system.

Feel free to PM/email if you have a more detailed or in depth explanation. Thanks for the insight.

CFP387

Well since Rowan is buying each department APX-7000 radios...

I had heard that Rowan was buying APX-6000 radios, but maybe you're right. The good thing about the 7000's is that they can tx on VHF as well. That's always a good thing.

I kind of feel bad for Kannapolis because again they are caught in the middle. They are between two counties and between to radio systems. That's a bad place to be when you have a free standing ER located right off the interstate. Does anyone know for sure that when the Cabarrus TRS fully migrates to the Chartlotte system if the UHF med channels will still be in use?

trumpetman

Database Admin
The UHF NCMCN will be very similar to the NCSHP low-band system. As time goes on, and more radios/towers come into play, they will switch over to 800. Once VIPER is running 100% smoothly enough for a few years, then the conventional equipment will start being dismantled.

Status
Not open for further replies.