Cable adapter for BCD9962p/BCT15x for data transfer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am able to (and have) transferred data from RR and updated firmware in both my radios with the supplied cables that came with these radios thru the FRONT RADIO PORT only. I wanted to use the REAR PORT to keep cable out of my way. However I think I need a different adapter than the one in pics below. I found this female/female 9 pin adapter that mates with my cables so I can use rear port. But it doesnt work. I ran a "detect" in Freescan and no matter what USB port on computer I use, and all the combinations Freescan searches for it still dosnt work. I am thinking this small adapter I found is a "GENDER CHANGER" and what I need is a "NULL MODEM"? Not sure what I need. I was hoping this would work to avoid more long cables in the way. And I was hesitant to order one online cause I dont know exactly what I need.

Attachments

• 20200313_095755.jpg
    20200313_095755.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200313_095829.jpg
    20200313_095829.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If all you want to do is to duplicate programming, all you'd need to do is to download the 996P2 programming then connect to the 15x. Just keep in mind that the 15x doesn't do any digital....Mike

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
If all you want to do is to duplicate programming, all you'd need to do is to download the 996P2 programming then connect to the 15x. Just keep in mind that the 15x doesn't do any digital....Mike
No I just prefer to use the back connection on the scanners. I dont understand why Uniden designed these radios the way they did. Why did they put a MALE db9 jack on the back of these scanners instead of a FEMALE? The cables that come with the radios are fine for using FRONT panel jacks so why have 2? I would prefer to use the BACK connection just to keep wires outta my way.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
No I just prefer to use the back connection on the scanners. I dont understand why Uniden designed these radios the way they did. Why did they put a MALE db9 jack on the back of these scanners instead of a FEMALE? The cables that come with the radios are fine for using FRONT panel jacks so why have 2? I would prefer to use the BACK connection just to keep wires outta my way.
Because the rear port is primarily used for a GPS connection.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Also if using the rear port, I always recommend changing the default baud rate from 4800 to 115200.
OK so actually we're better off just using the FRONT CONNECTION!! I dont know why they dont clarify this. When I was first researching these radios it was said the FRONT port was for updating firmware and REAR port was for GPS/dowloading data. So after chasing my tail I am right back where I started! So I will just use front ports when I need to connect to PC. It works just fine.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK so actually we're better off just using the FRONT CONNECTION!! I dont know why they dont clarify this. When I was first researching these radios it was said the FRONT port was for updating firmware and REAR port was for GPS/dowloading data. So after chasing my tail I am right back where I started! So I will just use front ports when I need to connect to PC. It works just fine.
One thing with the front port is when using software for logging and display. If the computer reboots then the scanner will loose communications to the driver. To restore comms, the USB cable has to be reinserted or the scanner has to be power cycled. That is a driver issue.
I always recommend using the rear port.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
One thing with the front port is when using software for logging and display. If the computer reboots then the scanner will loose communications to the software. To restore comms, the USB cable has to be reinserted or the scanner has to be power cycled. That is a driver issue.
I always recommend using the rear port.
Understood. Well in the event I have to connect to my PC I will be aware and only use cable for transfers/data then take out cable when done.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Doing a wired clone using the rear ports requires a null modem cable. You can also use a standard DB9 cable with a null modem adapter. I have never tried cloning a BCT15X to a BCD996P2. If you go the wired clone route, let me know if it works.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Doing a wired clone using the rear ports requires a null modem cable. You can also use a standard DB9 cable with a null modem adapter. I have never tried cloning a BCT15X to a BCD996P2. If you go the wired clone route, let me know if it works.
Not trying to clone cause I use the 996 for P25 and the 15X for all conventional. Just trying to simplify the cable system.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a bunch of BCT15 and 996 scanners rack mounted. I use standard Uniden USB-1 cables modified by cutting off the small plug intended for the front of the radio and replacing it with a DB9 female. If wired properly this eliminates the need for a Null Modem adapter and a gender changer as well. With all the cables at the rear there are no visible wires.

The Green wire from the USB-1 goes to Pin 2 on the DB-9F, the Red to Pin 3 and the black to Pin 5.

I have 18 of these and they work great. Each is connected to a USB hub which then connects to the scanner.

I use ProScan for Virtual Control and ARC-XT for programming and both work fine with these cables. I run 20 instances of ProScan simultaneously with these radios and a couple SDS's and after I get the Comm Ports straightened out it all works great.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of BCT15 and 996 scanners rack mounted. I use standard Uniden USB-1 cables modified by cutting off the small plug intended for the front of the radio and replacing it with a DB9 female. If wired properly this eliminates the need for a Null Modem adapter and a gender changer as well. With all the cables at the rear there are no visible wires.

The Green wire from the USB-1 goes to Pin 2 on the DB-9F, the Red to Pin 3 and the black to Pin 5.

I have 18 of these and they work great. Each is connected to a USB hub which then connects to the scanner.

I use ProScan for Virtual Control and ARC-XT for programming and both work fine with these cables. I run 20 instances of ProScan simultaneously with these radios and a couple SDS's and after I get the Comm Ports straightened out it all works great.
I remember back in the early & mid 90's have a TON of these cables and connectors when we used to run packet radio with dumb terminals. The stuff was plentiful and easily obtained. I remember dumpster diving at my old part time job and scrounging a bunch of this stuff. Well I am not going to stress out over it cause I don't really to much data transfers anyway. Once radios were set up then I put cables away. I just thought it would be easier to use back port of scanners.

mesocyclone

If I use the rear connector on my 996, is there anything I need to do in terms of settings on the scanner or ProScan?

Also, if I use a generic USB<->RS232 adapter, will that work (presuming I get the gender right on the DB-9 connection), or do I need a modified Uniden cable as you have done?

I ask because the miserable connector on the front of my 996T is broken.

N9JIG

Sheriff
As long as the Com Port setting is correct it should work, Remember that the 996T Com Port ID will come from the cable, not the radio. The USB-Serial adapter that you are using will generate the Com Port number.

mesocyclone

Thanks - I got it working!

For those who may want the cabling detail, here is what I used, starting at the rear serial port (DB-9):
  1. Cable: DB9 Female to DB9 Male
  2. Null Modem
  3. Keyspan USB Serial to USB adapter
  4. USB to Computer
I don't know if a device driver is needed for the Keyspan, since I may already have one on my (virtual) machine. If so, they can be downloaded.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Most of the time Windows will automatically install the proper driver for a USB device when you plug it in, especially if it is from a well-known manufacturer. Windows 10 is almost Mac-like when it comes to this. (High praise from a dedicated Apple Fanboy like me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.