Cable and lightning protection

yankees6161

This spring I plan to move my antenna out of the attic and get it out side. I plan to use lmr400 cable about 75ft and a lightning arrestor. Should the arrestor be attached to the antenna or in line with the cable close to the antenna. I am using a L-Com hgv-906u antenna. Jefa tech has a good pric on the cable. Any one bought their cable? I also believe I should ground the arrestor to the existing ground at the electrical meter to my house. Is that correct? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The lightning arrestor should go at the point where the coaxial cable enters the home.

The grounds all need to be bonded together, so, yes, the antenna ground and lightning arrestor ground need to be connected to the house ground rod.

prcguy

Jefa Tech coax will work fine and the lightning arrestor info above is correct. Just know that you will not really be protected from a direct lightning strike and the grounding is more for human safety to put the antenna system at the same ground potential as your house ground. If you stick a lone ground rod for your antenna at the far side of the house from the AC panel it can place some dangerous voltage on the antenna and coax compared to your existing house ground.

This spring I plan to move my antenna out of the attic and get it out side. I plan to use lmr400 cable about 75ft and a lightning arrestor. Should the arrestor be attached to the antenna or in line with the cable close to the antenna. I am using a L-Com hgv-906u antenna. Jefa tech has a good pric on the cable. Any one bought their cable? I also believe I should ground the arrestor to the existing ground at the electrical meter to my house. Is that correct? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

yankees6161

Does the antenna ground need to be anything special? Or can I just ground to the antenna mount? Grounding the arrestor at the point of entry I will need two cables and have to add about 25-30 feet. Looking at over 100 ft of cable at this point. How long is to long for cable length?

prcguy

You might want to look over NEC article 810 which covers antenna grounding. I believe #10 copper wire is the minimum size and from my satellite installer training days we try to keep the ground wire run from a coax grounding block or lightning arrestor to the AC panel ground under 30ft.

Does the antenna ground need to be anything special? Or can I just ground to the antenna mount? Grounding the arrestor at the point of entry I will need two cables and have to add about 25-30 feet. Looking at over 100 ft of cable at this point. How long is to long for cable length?