• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

cable channels with the longest commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

maalox

hi... i have direct tv i think scifi and the spike channel have the longest commercials on any other cable channels..

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Uhhh try watching MTV for a while. I think they have about 5 minutes of programming in a 30 minute slot, the rest is commercials.

Dorpmuller

I got so disgusted with commercials that I disconnected cable over a year ago... finally couldn't stand forgetting what I was watching because of so many commercials. Don't miss it, when I wanna watch something I go get a movie.

Rich

kg4pbd

Premium Subscriber
MTV hasn't been MTV since Martha Quinn left. All that's left today is VH1 Classics.

Sonar

The USA Network can stretch a 1 and a half hour movie into 3 hours. And that's after cutting the good scenes.

red8

try watching nascar races on nbc,tnt,fx,and fox. during one segment of the race from indy my wife and i counted 7minutes of commercials
and 2 minutes of actual racing thank god for nascar.com track pass

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I did see a funny commercial for Burger King's "Chicken Fries".

It basically showed the history of NASCAR pit crews giving the drivers chicken throughout the years. It showed this old-timer displaying a stick with a whole chicken on it and the pit crew trying to shove the chicken into the car as it was speeding off. It looked like footage from the 60's or 70's. You saw the chicken fall out because the guy missed the window.

Then you saw them migrate to using chicken legs. They would shove them through the net; then the driver got grease on his fingers and then you see the car spin out and slam into the wall.

By far the funniest commercial I've seen in a while.

gcgrotz

kg4pbd said:
MTV hasn't been MTV since Martha Quinn left. All that's left today is VH1 Classics.
Wow, Martha Quinn. That triggered some old memories (and other things too). What a cutie! Wonder what happened to her? Probably has 6 kids and weighs 240 and eats bonbons all day...

kg4pbd

Premium Subscriber
Martha Quinn was on a special a year or two ago, I think it was some kind of anniversary special for MTV. She still looks great, which she should, she was pretty young when she got her start on MTV. I remember seeing her when it first came on the air, I had just graduated from high school and I was hooked. Of course as we all know, things went downhill fast for MTV. I won't even let my kids watch it! They need to change the name to RapCrapTV.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
kg4pbd said:
I won't even let my kids watch it! They need to change the name to RapCrapTV.
Or "NMTV" (No Music Television).

They fooled us with M2 "MTV2" - You remember - All music videos - All the time... We all see how that went.

Why can't they show music videos any more? It's all about reallity TV and game shows...

Sonar

rescue161 said:
Or "NMTV" (No Music Television).

Why can't they show music videos any more? It's all about reallity TV and game shows...
I totally agree. MTV needs to be renamed to NMTV.

steve_eg

I'm beginning to think that the leading export of Australia is hosts for bad infomercials that try to peddle mops, sponges, and brushes.

Did someone do a study and determined that the average American lends more credibility to sale pitch if it's delivered with an Australian accent?

Just my two cent contribution to the topic of commercials on cable.

STiMULi

KC9GLG said:
Anyone else sick of the endless Geico, Ionic Breeze and the Video Professor commercials ?
The more they advertise the less I buy!
Thank you!!!

I was just about to mention that.

John W Scherer and the other CEO (Sharper Image) can KMA if they think I would every buy anything from them.

As far a GIECO goes... Remember GEICO policy holders. Those commercials and the air time cost big bucks. Guess who is paying for them :)

One word...

TIVO​
Or another PVR​

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
kg4pbd said:
I think MTV went the way side in about 1995! The 80's were the best.

However nothing beats VH1 IMO Still look forward to watching VH1's I Love the 70s, 80s, 90s and Hogan know's best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH1

I think the most annoying commercial is that Head on commercial. Head on apply directly where it hurts Head on apply directly where it hurts Head on apply directly where it hurts. Shut up already!!!! :lol:

Geico has been there a long time now.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
I love commercials

I have been recording commercials for a looooong time. Even before the first I-Mac, remember? "She comes in colors everywhere, she's like a rainbow" (Song by the Rolling Stones.) The commercial presents different colored I-Macs in a row spinning in circles. Which is what their current commercials do. Spinning. :twisted: (round round like a record baby round round. You spin me round round.) :lol: The 80's are particularly popular with commercials. Jeep's Big country, A duster commircial used the song Whip it. Der kommissar by After the fire I believed was used in a cell phone commercial. Cingular had used 8675309 Jenny Jenny. Burger King, Now known as "BK" had used Always something to remind me. Even the recent winter Olympics had mostly 80's music for each of the different countrys that were walking into the arena. Wasn't that Ferrari awesome!

(In a load voice) Then there came EHarmony!
"We use 10,000^10 compatibility matches to find your future ex wife". :lol:

I think the current longest commercial in the U.S is by DOW. It's about the "Human Element".

I think by far the best commercial that has not been beat, yet is Mastercard's "Kid in a candy store". The song in the background is an up beat type rendition of Willy Wonkas's Pure Imagination. (Come with me and you'll see, it's just pure imagination. What will see you'll agree..la la la laaaaa.)

Now I searched, as well as others for that one damn song. :lol: No one seems to know who sang it and apparently Mastercard wont say. The only thing that comes close is Pure Imagination by the smoking popes.

My other favortes are also from Wallgreens and Coca Cola.

The most annoying are the fuel companies and the medicine commercials.

How can I help the environment? blah blah blah.

Why does Shell, BP, Exxon Mobile, Marathon, (Save 10 %, Screw you. You know how damn hard it is to get a fuel credit card? :lol:), Ker mcgee and one other I can't think of, insist on trying to brain wash us?

Side effects of watching too many fuel commercials are: Paying too much for gas than having to throw up. Being memorized at all the goodies in the mini mart while filling your car with more than you wanted. (That will be 38.99 SR!. "Damit! :lol:"It's the ho hos I tell you, the ho hos!") Now if mini marts start serving Starbucks, Stamped! :lol:

Back in the 80's I remember a lot of the fuel commercials, over time they disappeared. Now they seem to be back. It keeps going and going and going...... (Anyone care to guess how that commercial started? he he. :)

http://www.commercialsihate.com/index1.html Caution! The author of this site does not know what subliminal messages are as well as human psychagogy.

Rant over. :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.