Cable for GRE PSR 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement data/power cable for my GRE 800? Please advise and thanks in advance.

rwier

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement data/power cable for my GRE 800? Please advise and thanks in advance.

Well, I just checked to make sure, and sure enough, the HP-1 and the GRE800 both use the same USB cable. This would seem to indicate that this is a common cable. This cable has one well known "end" that is a full size USB connection (computer end). However, the other end is of a greatly reduced size compared to the computer end. I don't know the specific name (minnie, micro, macro, ?) but similar are commonly sold by RadioShack, Fry's Electronic, Amazon, and a host of others. Someone will undoubtedly post the actual technical name for this cable. Personally, I believe that a search of my home might turn up a handful of similar cables,since they are so common.

scosgt

You gotta have half a dozen of them laying around the house!

RDGDigital

10ft USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B

The data/power cable for the PSR-800 is an ordinary USB 2.0 Male to Mini-B cable like the one in the above link. If you're like me you probably have many of these lying around in your spare parts boxes. The PSR-800 does not need any special USB charger and can be power by any USB charger that provides at least the minimum USB 2.0 specs. (5V, 500mA).

jimg

Premium Subscriber
10ft USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B

The data/power cable for the PSR-800 is an ordinary USB 2.0 Male to Mini-B cable like the one in the above link. If you're like me you probably have many of these lying around in your spare parts boxes. The PSR-800 does not need any special USB charger and can be power by any USB charger that provides at least the minimum USB 2.0 specs. (5V, 500mA).

I understand about the power part, but does it make any difference as far as the data transfer capacity?

RDGDigital

I understand about the power part, but does it make any difference as far as the data transfer capacity?

Not it doesn't. The same cable that you plug into a charger can also be plug into your computer or a USB hub. In fact I don't even use a charger when I'm at my desk, I just plug it into a USB hub that is always connected to my computer. It will provide both a power and data connection at the same time.

The only caveat with using the cable for data transfer is that it is very slow. This happens no matter what cable you use. Most people prefer to remove the SD card from the scanner and plug it into an SD card reader. I myself don't really care about the speed. When I'm at my desk I can do other things while the data is transferring.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Not it doesn't. The same cable that you plug into a charger can also be plug into your computer or a USB hub.

Actualy, it can. I've seen several standard looking USB A to Mini-USB cables that only provide charging power.
They are missing the two data wires all together but the contacts are usually inside the connectors. Just no wires to connect them.

The first one I found drove me crazy when it would not transfer data. I figured someone had yanked the cord out by the wire instead of grabbing the plug body and torn the wires internally at one end or the other.
I finally cut it open and only found the two power wires!
I later found another that would not transfer data. This was a new cable and had never even had the bread tie removed before I went to use it.
I saw a sticker wrapped around the cable and it said "for power or charging only, not for data transfer" or something close to that wording.
I cut this one open also and again, found only two conducutors.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2nd cable with the sticker was marked for LG.
I've never owned an LG cell phone or any LG device for that matter that had a Mini-USB jack on it so who knows where this cable came from.

I have several dozen cables of this type and maybe 1/2 dozen only supplied power while the rest did it all. Some were cheap and not shielded, they would freeze up during data transfer.
Better ones usually have ferrite chokes molded onto the cable that cut down on EMI/RFI.

Unshielded and/or power only USB A to mini-USB cables are rare but they do exist.
I've also found power only Type A to Micro-USB cables but so far I've not found a Micro-USB cable that is not shielded that also transfers data.

USB is only good for about 16 inches or so if the cable is not shielded.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for your replies! One of the members posted that the cable for the BCD 436HD would work. I checked on Scanner Master's web site and it showed they have a power/programming cable for the 436 HP for $24.95. I have also sent an e-mail to Whistler to see if I can get a cable from them and am awaiting their reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.