• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cable tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnCowden

How do cable tv companies pick which roads to put cable on ??? I want cable bad but they still haven't put it up our road. It's about 3 miles down the road on another road. Also do u think tv will ever be available via WI-FI ?

Last edited:

SCPD

bout the only way that i can see a cable company putting a cable line in a certain area is:
1) they are already planning on putting it in, but havent doen it yet.
2) the people down your road B***h loud enough and long enough they will get tired of it and install a line. (Or tell you to f*** off and never put a line in)
3) If you are in a brand new sub-division and the new house that they are building are most likely going to be cable customers.

your best bet is to go with #2.
these are just my observations about how the cable company that is in my area work.
Feel free to correct me if im wrong about something.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
Contact the cable company and see what they will charge to run cable down your road. It wont be cheap but they will do it.

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
They tend to install cable where it pays for it to do so. If they have to put in ten miles of line for 5 customers...Chances are it's not going to happen. If it is a small cable outfit it's even worse. They tend to be super cheap. Now if your road happens to be on the way to a large sub division, chances are you will get cable. If your the guy at the end of a dead end and have no neighbors, try sat. I have inspected a few towers with cable receive antennas and dishes. It's not a pretty site for the most of em. 75% of them don't even attach their feedlines to the tower. I've seen UHF connectors hold allot of coax up a tower..lol.

Good luck with the cable. I'm glad I have it. For ISP anyhow.

ShawnCowden

Well I live on a state highway and we have plenty of neighbors just space farther apart. Adelphia serves us. Also charter does well did now new wave Communications will.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
call them and get a figure. It may shock you. We had to pay over $6,000.00 for a two block run, but they had to go under two streets. We had to have broadband and the telephone company wouldn't even discuss price. We do get a credit on our bill if any other subscribers come on the cable.

RISC777

ShawnCowden said:
how much we talking about ??? as in price for about a 3 mile run.
Crew time, fleet/vehicle cost, bulk cable and hanging cost (I'm assuming here you're in an above-ground area, not buried service), probably a line extender (so your signal doesn't attenuate down to nothing), drop to the house, install at the house.

If it's buried, crew, vehicle, underground location of pipe and other cable and what not, trenching, pedestal, trench to house, install at the house.

Dish based TV service available in your area? :wink: :)

vsny

Another option that is being sold here on Long Island, NY is FIOS.Fiber Internet Optic Service -I think it means.
Verizon, the major telephone service provider here in NY (the old "phone company" folks) have spent millions and millions on fiber-optic cable which (they hope) will eliminate Cablevision (our cable TV & now telephone option usually refered to as VOIP-Voice over internet protocol) by providing telephone and TV service thru their network of fiber optics.The way this is being pitched it will replace copper wire cable.
Just another choice you may want to look for.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I have directv and love it why wait for cable, got my whole set up on line for about $14 and installed it myself no big deal I did spend a few more $ last year and upgraded to the HD thing and i love it

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
ShawnCowden said:
Also do u think tv will ever be available via WI-FI ?
Has anyone heard of these guys? http://www.im.com/main.aspx

I know that you can see streams from news sites as well.

Regardless if you are using WI-FI or not it's still an Internet connection.

MD5 of all characters including VB code tags minus quote tags and this message of course.This only works by copying the text from quoting me. As the exact spaces matter in the hash formation.524DF7E8AC915B56D0B9B6287E620201

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I agree with the others, forget cable - get a dish and be done with it. The cost is about the same and the quality is much better. Most of the time you can find companies that will install the the service on up to 4 tv's for free - they usually throw in a free DVR too. I have cable, but only because the apartment complex would get a little pissy if I hung a dish out the window... plus I get a discount on my broadband internet for having the video service too.

-AZ

Jeffn8wb

I find it funny when the cable companies advertise that their service is better than going with a dish. They claim that their picture is better and they say that weather is a problem for dish subscribers. Well, what they don't say is that they use a dish themselves to pick up feeds. The cable is only what they use to get the signal to their subscribers.

Eng74

I have to agree go with Dish or Direct. My house is at the end of the line for the local cable company which sucks anyway. They came up with every excuse in the book on why my picture was bad. I went to RS they had deal for Dish Network where everything was free you just paid the tax and got free installation. I have not looked back since, I pay less get more channels and my picture is perfect.

k9swx

Premium Subscriber
Jeffn8wb said:
I find it funny when the cable companies advertise that their service is better than going with a dish. They claim that their picture is better and they say that weather is a problem for dish subscribers. Well, what they don't say is that they use a dish themselves to pick up feeds. The cable is only what they use to get the signal to their subscribers.
Jeff,

This is true, but the cable companies use a tad bit bigger dish to pick up the signals than the normal consumer with their 18" dish. ;) I'm happy with my DirecTV service, had them almost 9 years now and don't ever want to get cable. The weather issue doesn't bother me that much because it normally doesn't last very long and if it's really bad I'm usually out watching/chasing the storms anyways. :)

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Cable vs. Satellite

Cable has some advantages over satellite:

• you can get the first 80 or so channels on all the connection points/leads without a box; whereas satellite must have a box for every connection - (this will change after 2009 when digital TV is mandatory in the USA)
  • the same cable will get you two-way (up and down) broadband service; where as satellite only has one-way broadband service (down) - you must have another service for upload (send email, etc.) such as DSL or dial up
  • on standard cable service, it has a feature that allows you to control movies (play, pause, FF, RW, etc.) without having a DVR (or TIVO, etc.)
  • the satellite dish gets moved sometimes, causing poor reception, and you have to climb up on the roof (or wherever it is located) and make adjustments
  • cable companies do not require a contract; whereas satellite companies require one or two year commitments or else charge you for the equipment (hundreds of dollars)
  • some satellite markets (locations) don't carry local channels
Satellite has some advantages over cable:

• The first 80 or so channels on cable or not (usually) digital; whereas on satellite, ALL the channels are digital - (this will change after 2009 when digital TV is mandatory in the USA)
  • satellite can be cheaper, being that you can choose what channels you want and don't want, although, it may end up being the same or more if you want a lot of channels - the package deals end up being about the same as or less than cable; overall, satellite is cheaper
  • if you move, the satellite company moves with you for no charge; whereas if you have cable and move, you may have to sign up again for the service, especially if the company is different (most often it is if you move more than 10 miles)
  • Satellite TV is available virtually anywhere there is a view of the southern sky (from the northern hemisphere); whereas cable is not always available, especially is rural areas

See these articles:
Cable vs. Satellite TV – Which is Best? - http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-17-2005-75027.asp
Cable vs. Satellite TV - http://www.moveutilities.com/cable_vs_satellite.html

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Jeffn8wb said:
Yes, but they are not using consumer sat TV with compressions and all.
They are picking up high quality feed from the networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.