Cables and Connectors

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I guess this is the right section. Have a new SDS200 incoming to replace my 996P2. I have an Omni X up right now that can telescope up to 20’. Also have a Alpha Delta lightning thing that I’ll install that has N connections. My main question I guess is, should I blow the bank on custom cables with the N connections, or just buy the 259 and use adapters. I need about 20’ of 400, and maybe 12’ of RG8 to get to the scanner. That one ideally would be an N to a BNC if I did custom. It’s a big difference is price. This is based on DX and Cable Xperts which don’t offer custom connections. Also have a Sirro Discone in the garage.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Coaxial cable is important. I would invest in good stuff.

LMR-400 with the correct connectors on each end is a good investment.
I wouldn't use RG-8 to connect directly to the scanner. It's a thick/heavy cable that can put a lot of strain on the antenna connector. Use a thinner coax like LMR-195 or LMR-200.

www.theantennafarm.com will do custom cables the way you want.

Don't do any of this unless you plan on properly sealing ALL the outdoor connections. Water -will- get inside them and it will cause damage.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber

I wouldn't use RG-8 to connect directly to the scanner. It's a thick/heavy cable that can put a lot of strain on the antenna connector. Use a thinner coax like LMR-195 or LMR-200.

Don't do any of this unless you plan on properly sealing ALL the outdoor connections. Water -will- get inside them and it will cause damage.
I'll seal it all like I currently have. Any recommendations on the brand of connector? They have a ton of different ones.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the antenna farm link. Much better price than the other places with the real good stuff and dedicated connections. No idea they did custom cables. Ordered what I needed. Not sure on their time frame, but looks like I won’t get the scanner till Monday, and I can’t actually install the new cables till the following weekend.

kg7jqh

I just did a mobile install on my 4runner with LMR240 Ultraflex from The Antenna Farm with an amphenol connector, wasn't that expensive at all. It's not that much thicker than the cheap stuff used on pre-made NMO mounts and I'm getting a 1.01:1 swr on 2m.

There's also https://abrind.com/
There in Texas and make custom cables too.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I did 20' of LMR400 and 15' of LMR200 to get in the house to the scanner with all the correct connectors, so no extra pieces needed.

Stargater53

I recently bought a tri-band (TBJ-1) from Ed Fong. He said RG-8 was fine up to 50 feet; after that, he said LMR400 or better would be necessary. I bought 42.5 feet of the RG-8 and it does appear to be awfully thick for a 10W TYT TD-UV8000D radio. But a 20-25W or more should may be okay for mobile radio used as a home station.

So what do you think? Should I send it back? I don't have a FCC license yet, so I'm uncomfortable transmitting.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
No clue, but I'm going from 75' to basically 35' of better cable and eliminating the extra connectors. Still have to drill a hole through 8" of solid concrete filled block. Florida hurricane crap FTW and FTL.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I recently bought a tri-band (TBJ-1) from Ed Fong. He said RG-8 was fine up to 50 feet; after that, he said LMR400 or better would be necessary. I bought 42.5 feet of the RG-8 and it does appear to be awfully thick for a 10W TYT TD-UV8000D radio. But a 20-25W or more should may be okay for mobile radio used as a home station.

So what do you think? Should I send it back? I don't have a FCC license yet, so I'm uncomfortable transmitting.

Coaxial cable losses go up as length increases. Losses also go up as frequency increases.

RG-8 should work, but you can easily do better. LMR-400 is a good -middle-of-the-road- option.
If your plan is to use 70cm frequently, and you want weak signal performance, I'd step up to LMR-400 or better. If you are just going to be using repeaters that are local to you, RG-8 will be sufficient.

Consider your budget. LMR-400 will be more expensive, LMR-600, even higher cost.
Consider cable routing. LMR-400 is a stiffer cable. It can also put a lot of stress on the antenna connector if you try to connect it directly to the back of the radio. It's recommended to use a short jumper to transition from the heavier cable to the radio.
Consider your grounding/lightning protection. If you are running an antenna outside, or even up in the attic, you should, at minimum, be looking at the National Electric Code.
Consider your long term needs. RG-8 might be fine as a new ham, but as your interests change, you may want something better. Easier to buy the right stuff now rather than pay twice/install twice.

Your choice. RG-8 will work, but it's kind of the minimum you'd want in an application such as yours.

Stargater53

Consider cable routing. LMR-400 is a stiffer cable. It can also put a lot of stress on the antenna connector if you try to connect it directly to the back of the radio It's recommended to use a short jumper to transition from the heavier cable to the radio.

... If you are running an antenna outside, or even up in the attic, you should, at minimum, be looking at the National Electric Code.

... RG-8 might be fine as a new ham, but as your interests change, you may want something better. Easier to buy the right stuff now rather than pay twice/install twice.

Your choice. RG-8 will work, but it's kind of the minimum you'd want in an application such as yours.
Great advice. Do you have a recommendation as to where I might find good cables at a breathtakingly excellent price?

Thank you for your post!

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Great advice. Do you have a recommendation as to where I might find good cables at a breathtakingly excellent price?

Thank you for your post!
I’ll jump in based on recommendations from this thread. I ordered mine from Antenna Farm linked above. All real Times Microwave cables and connectors. Best price I found. Mine will be here tomorrow, so we’ll see how they look.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I’ll jump in based on recommendations from this thread. I ordered mine from Antenna Farm linked above. All real Times Microwave cables and connectors. Best price I found. Mine will be here tomorrow, so we’ll see how they look.

I have ordered several coax cables from them over the past three years and have been *very* satisfied with my purchases.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I have ordered several coax cables from them over the past three years and have been *very* satisfied with my purchases.
That gives me reassurance, and I thought the turn around was good. Thanks
I grew up just west of you in the Buffalo area.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Thank you for your post!

Yeah, like the others said, www.theantennafarm.com
You want to make sure you get legit LMR-400. There are some other brands that are good, but there's also typical Chinese crap. You don't want the crap.
Antenna Farm will set you up. Get the correct connectors on each end to match your needs, don't use adapters. Pay the little extra to get the heat shrink on the connectors, helps with strain relief. Don't forget to purchase the waterproofing material for any connections that are going to be outside.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, like the others said, www.theantennafarm.com
You want to make sure you get legit LMR-400. There are some other brands that are good, but there's also typical Chinese crap. You don't want the crap.
Antenna Farm will set you up. Get the correct connectors on each end to match your needs, don't use adapters. Pay the little extra to get the heat shrink on the connectors, helps with strain relief. Don't forget to purchase the waterproofing material for any connections that are going to be outside.
$10 for the heat shrink on both ends =no brainer. Again, thanks for the help you guys have given me so far.

Stargater53

Thank you for your recommendations. I think the LMR400 is a better way to go than KMR400 and RX8U.

I have a TYT TD-UV8000D 10W that I've tested, and it is fairly dead-on at 10 watts across the spectrum. On LOW it's about 6 watts.

Since this is a fairly low-powered HT, I don't know how much coax I can use, so I'm getting a fairly inexpensive GM-16 10-foot cable, which I'll probably never use. I also have a TYT TD-8600 20/25W and a TD-9800 50W, and I'm not too happy with the latter. The hand mic is mushy and I ordered an extra one for $25 as a backup, so I'll most likely use the TD-8600 as my base station. Since I don't have my Technician License yet, I haven't tried any of them.

Thanks again for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Last edited: