Cache Valley Going to 800 MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire822

Feed Provider
I broadcast Police and Fire frequencies over the net for Cache Valley. I just found out that some time this summer all law enforcement and the three main fire dept. are going to 800 MHZ, while the rest of the county volunteer fire dept. are staying with the VHF. I’m new to this 800 stuff and have no idea what I need to do to be able to keep broadcasting over the net for Law enforcement and both fire agencies. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

gadgetmikey

I was under the understanding that they are switching over to the UCAN network that the rest of the state is on. Just requires a trunking scanner (will need to be able to be rebanded). Logan Peak and Cal Mountain are the two main sites for Cache Valley. You can also pick up Mt. Ogden and I think they are adding another site as part of the transition. The freq. are all listed in the database under UCAN.

I ran onto this newsletter a while back where they were talking about someone in Utah County rebroadcasting, I don't know if it every amounted to anything.

http://www.its.utah.gov/productsservices/radioshop/newsletter/Wireless_05-18-05.pdf top of page 2

Fire822

Feed Provider
Re-Broadcast of UCAN System Traffic

Has anyone everheard what came about this?

Re-Broadcast of UCAN System Traffic

A Utah County publication had a web site offering streaming audio of scanned UCAN public
safety radio traffic. The board was concerned that this was not only illegal, but could
potentially threaten officer safety. Legal comments were requested, and some have already been received. The issue will continue to be researched.

I was wondering what ever came about with it. I was looking into streaming the new system once Cache Valley goes to it.

Utah_Viper

I have never heard of issues with streaming UCANM. I had a stream up until my secondary scanner died and never had any concerns mentioned.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Fire822, I think that this is the first I have heard of any streaming out of Cache County. I also see that you have been a member here for quite some time. I would like to invite you to become more active on this board because we would like to clear up and identify some TGs, but we cannot hear Cache from SLC so that area remains a question mark on some TGs.

I would also urge you to return to your User CP and fill in your location on your profile so we can see it in your posts and won't have to try to guess. With as many members as we have dropping in once in a while to post, such as you, we do not remember where they are. Just a matter of courtesy for the rest of us.

Fire822

Feed Provider
Streaming

Right now I use Teamspeak to broadcast 100.000 to 500.000 range. I do not have a any information on TG's because I do not use this system yet. Once they change I hope I can get a list. I will update my information.

Thanks.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Utah_Viper said:
I have never heard of issues with streaming UCANM. I had a stream up until my secondary scanner died and never had any concerns mentioned.

Speaking of do you plan on streaming Ucan/ SL Traffic again?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
qlajlu said:
Fire822, I think that this is the first I have heard of any streaming out of Cache County. I also see that you have been a member here for quite some time. I would like to invite you to become more active on this board because we would like to clear up and identify some TGs, but we cannot hear Cache from SLC so that area remains a question mark on some TGs.

I would also urge you to return to your User CP and fill in your location on your profile so we can see it in your posts and won't have to try to guess. With as many members as we have dropping in once in a while to post, such as you, we do not remember where they are. Just a matter of courtesy for the rest of us.

Yes teamspeak has it out of Cache Valley also Grand juction/ 4 corners area does too. Ive known for a little bit. But I didn't even think to mention it in here. Sorry.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Fire822 said:
...I do not have a any information on TG's because I do not use this system yet. Once they change I hope I can get a list. I will update my information....

That would be very helpful. I help run a large bike tour (Over 3000 riders) based in Logan and listening to the comms from the Police and Fire is very important to our operation as we usually have incidents on the course that we are dealing with.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I was up over the weekend and PD and Fire were both active on the UCAN system.

PD/SO was operating on TG:16000 (Cache County Regional) which seems to be simulcasts with 155.700

Picked up a new TG: 28864 which was for Cache County EMS and was simulcast with 155.010.

The CC for the area was 867.7875 (Site 14) which provided great coverage all the way into Idaho.

Talked to one of the Deputy Sheriffs' and they are still using VHF radios and will be switching later this year. He thought August. But the traffic is simo now...

I will be back up there in a few weeks and will try and get some additional info.

Fire822

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info.

I'm still at a loss for what kind of Scanner to buy. I want just a hand held and don't want to go over $100-$150. With only half of the county chaging at a time i'm not sure which would be the best. What were you using when you were up here?

Junior1970

Thanks for the info.

I'm still at a loss for what kind of Scanner to buy. I want just a hand held and don't want to go over $100-$150. With only half of the county chaging at a time i'm not sure which would be the best. What were you using when you were up here?

Fire822, I've monitored Cache for quite awhile when I've traveled up that way first because I have many friends in the valley and because I've entered a car in the Cruise-In for nearly twenty years.
I've used an "old' RS PRO-95 handheld and an even "older" PRO-2067 mobile in the car for both the VHF and the UCAN stuff on the Logan Peak site. Until recently there wasn't much 800 on Logan Peak except during Cruise-In when the city brings in the UHP for traffic and crowd control. The Event TGs are crazy plus the Airmed traffic and Lifeflight (before encryption) were regulars on the site.

I myself have been weighing my options because the radios I mentioned above neither supports rebanding so, like you, I will be investing in some new radios. I'm really leaning towards the GRE PSR-300 (handheld) and PSR-400 (mobile.) The both support rebanding and they have 1000 channels and store 1500 TGs. I believe bneilson has a GRE radio. I believe that the RS radios I have were made by GRE as well and were marketed by RS. the GRE radios I have seen for about $200 which may be as inexpensive as it gets anymore I'm afraid but you just never know when someone will put them on sale somewhere.

Cache must be serious about joining UCAN. According to www.ucan800.org they were doing radio tests up Logan Canyon for a proposed site at Beaver Mountain. Logan Peak and Cal Mountain cover the valley well and Mount Ogden covers a good chunk of Wellsville/Sardine Canyon. Blacksmith Fork may be the trick question on the coverage thing. Maybe a small IR site at Hardware Ranch similar to what they put in American Fork Canyon here in UtCo last year would work. Hope this may answer some questions you may have.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
The coverage in the valley area is quite good now and I think it is only a single site (not Simo). Any of the canyons get sketchy and would require additional transmitters. I am sure they will just simo Site 14.

I do have a GRE. I have the PSR-500 and I am really loving it. My deciding factor to go with the GRE was the memory. My Uniden BR330T is a great scanner, but it just doesnt have the memory I need to cover the UCAN system. With the GRE, I can put ALL of the UCAN TGs in only one time and be good to go anywhere there is coverage. No Duplicates!

As to the PSR-300 and 400, I am not sure how they work in comparison tot he 500 so check the specs before you buy.

gadgetmikey

Site # 53 (Cache Valley Simulcast) came online just before 7 PM tonight. They only have the Logan City Tower working so far and it seems to be giving them problems so there is no traffic on it yet.
Control Channel #279 857.9875
Alternate Control Channel #189 855.7375

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
CAche

Copy the new site 53 here "on the Island" in Logan. heard them working on it yesterday on 4096...that's a good one to always have in and hear the techs working on rebanding all over.

Fire 822: I was at a Logan City Council meeting a few months back when they accepted the PD's chief's recommendation to "go to 800." If you can save your pennies for a GRE500 you will L O V E it!
Happy to meet with you sometime - I am downtown most of the time at the Ellen Eccles Theatre.

FWIW I have never logged 16128 - supposedly rebroadcasting the "City" fq of 155.19 - don't think it's linked, but the other TG's shown in the UCAN database are in full use. Still need VHF for all the various oddball freq's they love to go off to thinking no one is listening. Cache North, Cache South, city, patrol, "114" (aka 154.935) plus three count them 3 Event Repeaters.
Whew.

Wally

gadgetmikey

Logan City's Channel is now talkgroup 29248.

I think there is only 2 event channels. Event 1 is a repeater on the Logan tower and Event 2 is a mobile setup they assemble for the fireworks. The channel that is listed in the database as Event 3 is a somewhat weak simulcast of the Valley Service channel.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Tg 28992

I think the weak simulcast is from the service center on 6th West.

Just heard UCAN TG 28992 "Ops 3" saying the downtown site (53) would be ready to go by Tuesday, and there are about 10 demo radios out...N Logan gets training on the radios in October then Smithfield, then Logan.

I don't find 28992 in the TG list - there was a call "anyone on Ops 3" then a response. The caller was up Logan Canyon, and the responder was in Cache Valley.

Ground work at the other 2 CV sites to be done by November - Newton and 1 other, but install not likely till Spring.

wbloss

gadgetmikey

I think there are 10 ops channels starting at 28928 with ops 1 and then in order every 32.

Logan City Channel is 29248 and North Park is 29664. Common Car to Car is 16032.

I think cache has all the talkgroups from 28672 through 30016.

The other sight after Newton in the 53 simo is supose to be Mount Pisgah up by Sardine.

I also heard rumor of another tower on Beaver Mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.