Cachre Valley Simulcast KNIV722 WPRH434

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlthse

I've been looking at the face sheet and comparing them to the callsign and i think that this group should be looked into more carefully, unless i am mistaken there are a few overlooked valueable features. (weird grouping at least), fruitland, wasatch co., logan cache co., gunnison sanpete co., i might be wrong, can someone verify the callsign with the fcc records and let me know, thanks

N7YUO

One of the strange things about 800 MHz is the fact that the FCC does not have the final say about how the freqs are used. That responsibility is delegated to a local frequency coordinator. Around here, that would be Mr. Steve Proctor of UCAN. With 800 MHz, it may be necessary to reassign frequencies between sites to minimize interference. So Mr. Proctor has carte blanche when it comes to freq assignments. If you compare the site freqs from the FCC listings to what we actually know, very few, if any FCC listings for UCAN are correct. It seems apparent that frequencies are intentionally reassigned to deter people from discovering what the true site frequencies are.
Here at RR, we have dedicated hobbiests that go on transmitter hunts. Sites and their freqs are found and verified.

bchris

Kniv722

I tried to make sense out of the FCC license KNIV722 a couple years ago. I am of the opinion that it is a strategic or political move to tie up the frequencies for future use by UCAN, or something like that. For example, if a company like Nextel or Questar could not get these freqs for the whole state, they would be more likely to choose some other freqs that they could use statewide. That would leave the freqs available for UCAN, even in areas not listed on the permit.

Lets face it, Gunnison just doesn't need 63 800 Mhz channels. There aren't even that many 800 Mhz radios in the whole county! (jk,kindof :wink:). Nor does Fruitland need 24 channels. Has anyone reading this post ever been to Fruitland? If so, I'm sure you would agree.

Due to the odd selection of areas on this permit and the number of channels, this permit just does not make any logical sense. My review of this was when rebanding was just beginning. At that time few or none of the freqs were actually used. I have not reviewed since rebanding, but I think its pretty safe to say that only a fraction of these could possibly be in use in these areas, if any. These areas are all covered by other, more realistic permits that have been confirmed in use, such as Gunnison Prison, Currant Creek, and several in the Logan area.

During the rebanding transition there was some amount of chaos regarding which frequencies were listed vs being used, but now that the dust has settled I have found that after ignoring 1 or 2 perimts such as KNIV722, everything matches pretty well and makes pretty good sense.

-bc

mrlthse

With that all being said, (from my two who did reply)... How can I assist in verifing frequency usage with in my monitoring range, I reside in Layton utah ...
I have heard of a discrimator tool and a logging software is that the way to go...Keeping in mind I am not a brain surgeon, However I am an amateur extra, I can figure things out by my self I have been a scanner monitores for over four decades now, To assist my efforts I do have at my shack two Icom R8500, A dozen pro 163/164 radio, at least four pro 2042 and a handful of other tools all hooked up to multicouplers, and/or MFJ antenna switches, all on my 25 foot Rohn 25G tower with six beam or an discone antennas.
Bottom line: I want to help with the hobby of monitoring the spectrum in my area, I want to prep for emergency disaster situtions, and just be ready to survive the big one.... What can I do to assist, I spend three hour a day (total Monitoring/verifying) what I hear, I have topo programs on my machine and the hard copy map. tell me Please how and or what can I do to help...
If you work at Hill AFB, UT come see me, Lets talk radios, til then, I'll Hang loose, Go with the flow, cause that just the way it is. 73

bchris

First, set up UniTrunker

The link below is a very simple discriminator mod for your 2042 scanner(s). This mod does not require the use of a data slicer circuit.

It looks like the 2042 has an RCA connector on the back labeled 'Tape Out', plus a 3.5mm labeled 'Ext Spkr'. I'm willing to bet you never use either of these. Choose one of them to sacrifice, disconnect the old internal connection, and connect the discriminator tap to it. If the outside contact of the connector was already connected to circuit or chassis ground, leave it alone and connect just the center pin.

Get a cable to connect your new tap to the sound card input of your computer. If you have any software on your computer that can record or even monitor the input to the sound card, tune the scanner to one of the control freqs in your area and make sure your computer can 'hear' the audio. (After confirming that you get the annoying squawk from the scanner's speaker, you can turn down the volume - the tap still works.)

At this point you should download a copy of Unitrunker and install it on your computer. Set up your receiver (the type is 'signal only') and double-click on it to open. Click the tab labeled 'scope'. You should see an oscilloscope-looking waveform of the FSK audio signal from the control channel.

Whether you get to this point or not, look around Unitrunker to become familiar with what it looks like, browse through the help file, then post how things are going.

-bc

Discriminator Tap PRO-2042

Attachments

• 2042 tap.jpg
    2042 tap.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 406
  • PRO-2042_(R)2.jpg
    PRO-2042_(R)2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.