Cal State Long Beach Police channel 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorkyBamf

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring local law enforcement last night, heard a unit on CSULB Police dispatch channel 1 come on and say in a pissed-off tone of voice that he'd been hailing on channel 4 for 10 minutes with no response, and would someone please switch to channel 4 with him.

There's no CSULB Police channel 4 in the DB, only channels 1-3.

Is it possible that one of the non-police freqs listed in the DB is mislabeled? I didn't have the campus facilities/operations freqs in my scanner, so I couldn't quickly monitor to see if one is being used as police channel 4.

Anyone have any suggestions about a freq being used as CSULB Police channel 4? (Other than entering all of the freqs registered to CSULB and monitoring them.)

Markb

Premium Subscriber
If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say it's a statewide or national mutual aid channel. That or one of the ops channels you mentioned.
If it is a mutual aid channel, it wouldn't be listed under CSULB as a matter of RR policy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HorkyBamf

Premium Subscriber
I suspect it's one of the campus facilities/ops channels, but if it isn't used much it might take a long time to confirm. I will start monitoring them all and if I find it will suggest a revision to the frequency description in the database.

kma371

QRT
Don't count out the outputs of 1-3 with no PL. Some agencies program like that as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can also tell you from working with university police officers…
"Channel 4" doesn't necessarily translate into 4 separate channels they are using on the campus. It simply means the officer turned the channel knob on top of his radio to "4" and tried to talk.

That could mean anything. Could be interop channels, could be simplex/talk around, could be a different PL tone, could be a facilities channel they use as a backup, etc.

With all due respect to public safety professionals, few of them really understand how radio systems work. Most of them see a black box with an antenna sticking out the top, an on/off/volume and a channel knob. They know how to turn it on and push the PTT button. That is about the extent of most officers knowledge about radio systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.