Calaveras Sheriff Using NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Anyone up in the Calaveras County area know if Calaveras County Sheriff is using any NXDN or TYPE-C Trunking for non-dispatch stuff? They have a purchase order out for some new portable radios that include NXDN Conventional and TYPE-C Trunking. Seems odd to me. Unless this is just standard in the model they are buying. The mobiles they're ordering didn't mention NXDN in the purchase order.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Could be just coincidence. But keep in mind the nx5000 is default in box nxdn. Added later it can do p25. It's a multi mode type radio. It will run analog, and 2 digital formats same time. Optional is p25, dmr. Could be stock order. With a nx 5000 anything can happen later down road. Or multi modes used.

I'll add it's possible they have added p25 on a separate invoice or purchase order.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NXDN Type C trunking is included with the stock NX-5X00 radios, mobiles and portables.

So, what that means is they are buying stock analog radios that have NXDN capability included.
Kind of smart, they are getting "P25 capable" radios but don't have to pay for P25. If they decide down the road that they need P25 dMR, etc. they can add it via a software license.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Typically those RFPs are written by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and they just copy and paste all of the information they think is relevant.

Or, someone really wanted the Kenwoods and wrote the RFP it so that only the Kenwood would be an option.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, someone really wanted the Kenwoods and wrote the RFP it so that only the Kenwood would be an option.

OP said it was a purchase order. If the purchase order is under whatever their limit is for bidding, they can often just buy what they want. Where I work, I'm good up to $100K without doing a bid. In most cases, over $100K requires bidding, or at minimum, 3 price quotes.

Usually cut-n-paste things like that are not jiggered up purchase attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.