CALCORD p.l.

Status
Not open for further replies.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Helicopters get bombarded with Mexico traffic in So Calif. If all ground units at least Tx the PL, the helos can actually monitor the channel instead of turn it down. BK radios (if programmed with CSQ on the Rx side) will actually DISABLE the Tx PL tone if switched to talk-around mode which is why my agency went with Rx and Tx.

Mike_G_D

Helicopters get bombarded with Mexico traffic in So Calif. If all ground units at least Tx the PL, the helos can actually monitor the channel instead of turn it down. BK radios (if programmed with CSQ on the Rx side) will actually DISABLE the Tx PL tone if switched to talk-around mode which is why my agency went with Rx and Tx.

The aircraft receive issue (interference from Mexico) I knew about but the BK radio behavior I was unaware of.

In any case, I think it's obvious that putting receive CTCSS protection on most if not all such frequencies is ideally desirable and necessary and likely ultimately inevitable. The problem is, well, the real world is not "ideal" - how do we ensure full and perfect compliance across the board especially during the period of transition? It's easy to say it's simply a matter of adding only one more element to the channel programming per radio but I can see the point of view of the folks in charge of such efforts and their fear of getting blamed for the "system failing" when just one or a few radios in the field don't get their tones set right and they happen to be involved in a major incident even if those effected units were not their responsibility in the first place.

Frequent training between and among disparate groups of users with radios programmed by their respective radio services can weed out some of it, I suppose. But, no matter how hard you try to prevent them, problems will creep in and failures occur. Special use mutual aid inter-agency channels are probably the most prone to this kind of problem in the sense that they are less frequently used during normal operation so problems in programming might not show up until extreme circumstances are already in play.

-Mike

f40ph

Feed Provider
We've been teaching our users to leave the BK in open squelch (aka not in channel guard mode) unless they are actually getting some type of interference which is rare for the ground crews. We do have issues in our mountain areas and the crews sometimes have to "lock it in".

f40ph

Feed Provider
One of the big reasons for putting PL on Calcord was because Nevada Division Of Forestry (NDF) in their NWS region which is The Northwest area of the state changed their input frequency to their repeater system a couple of years ago to the same frequency as Calcord which was a big mistake when they did that with the proxcimity of that area to California, so that was the remedy.

At least NV agreed to NOT use 156.7

com501

I'm still finding fire contractor radios in wideband when they come in for programming.

Nevada coordinated with CA-OES before they made the switch. Channels are scarce on the Sierra Front.

Out here in the north desert, we still have customers with carrier squelch repeaters....

gvranchosbill

A bit off topic and unrelated to So Cal but may come up in future.
FYI:
Nevada Division of Forestry
Lake Tahoe Area has changed the input for 5 repeaters to 156.0750 MHz from 159.4500 MHz
Output 158.8950 MHz
110.9 McClellan Pk (Carson City) KRO223
123.0 Peavine Mtn (Reno) KRO222
131.8 Snow Vly Pk (Lake Tahoe) KTH597
136.5 Pinenut Mtn (E/Of Carson City) WQZ306
146.2 Eagle Ridge (E/Of Reno) WQAR657

However Calif & Nevada (Stateline Counties) are still using CAL-CORD for Air/Grnd EMS Comms
using CSQ as of July 2014 from my monitoring the freq.
Also i have heard some confusion on CAL-CORD when NDF Disp in Elko using 156.0750 as the input and Local FIRE/EMS using CAL-CORD for Air/Grnd Comms at the same time.

I just saw COM501's post after i posted this sorry.

Last edited:

BirkenVogt

Which is it?

Are they having trouble finding a clean input freq?

My info shows from the 1990s to 2012 they used 159.450, then in 2013 it shows 153.875, then to 156.075 and now back to 159.450?

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Which is it?

Are they having trouble finding a clean input freq?

My info shows from the 1990s to 2012 they used 159.450, then in 2013 it shows 153.875, then to 156.075 and now back to 159.450?

Birken, the info I have is that 156.075 is their input freq, and has been (at least at Peavine) for 2 years. I'm not sure what Bill is referencing.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Santa Barbara Copter 3 heard this morning using the "new" CALCORD with 156.7PL.

Last edited:

com501

There is a new NV Air Ops frequency under coordination. Currently the agreement is to continue the limited use of CalCord for interagency usage where it has been used in the past until this new frequency is coordinated and license, which will be happening shortly. That was as of this morning as I was coordinating frequencies for my PSAP operation.

156.075 is the current input to NDF primary.

156.075 with a CTCSS of 156.7 is the State of California primary interop for interagency coordination.

Border agencies may continue to use this frequency until further notice subject to best attempts at interference reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.