CALFIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Those aren't scanners, those are two way radios.

Federal govt requires approved radios for use by cooperators on Forest Service incidents and they are only approving new P25 radios.

it’s that way with any federal money for radios for anyone. If a local small town PD/FIRE/EMS service gets federal money for radios, the have to be p25 ready. They don’t have to use it, but be ready for it.

ecps92

Generally the words used in those grants is "Capable of P25"

it’s that way with any federal money for radios for anyone. If a local small town PD/FIRE/EMS service gets federal money for radios, the have to be p25 ready. They don’t have to use it, but be ready for it.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Fed LE (including USFS) is (or is moving to) P25.

CA state law requires any comm equipment bought with grant funds to be P25 capable.

Scannerboy32

CA state law requires any comm equipment bought with grant funds to be P25 capable.
Is that including CAL FIRE are they moving to P25 and is it going be statewide as well? Iam asking because I thinking of getting anolog scanner to listen to them but now I don’t know if I should change my mind about getting one

Last edited:

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Is that including CAL FIRE are they moving to P25 and is it going be statewide as well?

CalFire is not switching to P25. The grant requirements/wording simply provides the lowest common denominator/threshold in radio. The grant doesn't want the agency to go out and buy thousands of $115 Icom F1000's which may end up being a "mistake" 6 months down the road wasting those funds. Setting the threshold at P25 insures the radio will be of X quality, and be Y future proof.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber

Is that including CAL FIRE are they moving to P25 and is it going be statewide as well? Iam asking because I thinking of getting anolog scanner to listen to them but now I don’t know if I should change my mind about getting one

The law (Section 8592.5 of the California Government Code) covers ANY State or Local agency using state funds or federal grant funds administered by the state to purchase public safety radio equipment:

(a) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a state department that purchases public safety radio communication equipment shall ensure that the equipment purchased complies with applicable provisions of the following:

(1) The common system standards for digital public safety radio communications commonly referred to as the “Project 25 Standard,” as that standard may be amended, revised, or added to in the future jointly by the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials, Inc., National Association of State Telecommunications Directors, and agencies of the federal government, commonly referred to as “APCO/NASTD/FED.”

(2) The operational and functional requirements delineated in the Statement of Requirements for Public Safety Wireless Communications and Interoperability developed by the SAFECOM Program under the United States Department of Homeland Security.

(b) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a local first response agency that purchases public safety radio communication equipment, in whole or in part, with state funds or federal funds administered by the state, shall ensure that the equipment purchased complies with paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (a).

(c) Subdivision (a) or (b) shall not apply to either of the following:

(1) Purchases of equipment to operate with existing state or local communications systems where the latest applicable standard will not be compatible, as verified by the Office of Emergency Services.

(2) Purchases of equipment for existing statewide low-band public safety communications systems.

(d) This section may not be construed to require an affected state or local governmental agency to compromise its immediate mission or ability to function and carry out its existing responsibilities.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
CALFIRE - Does that mean "use P25" or does it say "be P25 capable if you are using digital"? How many agencies use P25 north of Sacramento?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
CALFIRE - Does that mean "use P25" or does it say "be P25 capable if you are using digital"? How many agencies use P25 north of Sacramento?

It means the radio has to be capable of configured to operate in P25 (e.g.: the hardware will support the protocol). It does NOT mean the radio has the P25 firmware programmed into the hardware.

As an example, a typical CalFIRE Repeater will cost a couple of thousand dollars more if the transmitter and receiver modules have the P25 firmware installed.

Don

f40ph

Feed Provider
My agency has been purchasing grant funded radios for years now that are UPGRADEABLE to P25. Not actually P25 "ready" right now. The grant auditors seem to be happy with that.

Scannerboy32

I should just wait and see if CALFIRE do go to digital or not and when they do decided go to digital p25 I will then get myself a handheld digital scanner that pick them up and if they do go p25 I hope it go well no signal problem in the mountain

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
I should just wait and see if CALFIRE do go to digital or not and when they do decided go to digital p25 I will then get myself a handheld digital scanner that pick them up and if they do go p25 I hope it go well no signal problem in the mountain
You obviously keep missing the point everyone has been trying to explain to you from the start!!! CalFire is not going P25 Digital anytime soon or never...
So go out and buy yourself a nice little cheap scanner so you can listen to them when your heart desires and stop with the nonsense on here

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Ok i understand it now and I am getting myself a cheap analog scanner to listen to them and I am going to stop this nonsense on here and sorry...

I think a better/nicer way to explain it is they are required to have it for various reasons but none of them are because they are going digital. Due to the nature of their work in wild land firefighting, digital would cause many problems so they will likely stay analog forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.