Calgary Area Newbie! Requesting help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yycvor

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone. Im a newbie to radioreferance. I have searched online high and low for a clear cut and simple awnser, but with no luck. Im really really hoping someone can help me out!

I have great knowledge with the theory of radio, and aviation comunication systems (ARINC, ACARS, VHF/UHF, and HF radios) I cant help but be curious about scanning the Calgary Police. I have done lots of research Into trunking radio systems and can wrap my head around how that works with decent understanding. Same can be said about APCO 25 Digital system that Calgary uses.

I recently purchased the Uniden BCD396T Digital Scanner ( APCO 25 DIGITAL). Although I have not recieved the product as of yet, I am confident in my ablility to set it up, based on instructions found on this site.

My question to you more enlightened members, Other then my scanner do I require anything else to be able to hear any channel thats listed as a "D" Digital Talk Group on this specific APCO 25 System? Mainly being District Talk Groups for the Calgary Police?
I see that some of the talk groups are indeed "E"ncrypted (Narcotics, SWAT) However I have zero interest in having to decode these.

Thanks in advance

CompKing

Premium Subscriber
Your 396 will be able to decode "D" without a problem. You'll be chasing Code 200's and following HAWC2 in no time.

yycvor

Premium Subscriber
Thats awsome news!!

Im glad this forum is indeed newbie friendly. I look forward to contributing here.
Thanks again.

Should I invest in a antenna?

CompKing

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what part of city you live in. There are repeaters all around city, but you will get most city-wide activity from the Bankers Hall tower. If you are close to downtown, you are likely set.

yycvor

Premium Subscriber
Well I'm located in the middle of the Airport & Spy Hill repeater, but closer to the airport one, So im hoping reception should be decent. Any recomendtions on a anntenna thats suitable for the 396T handheld? Im mostly interested in scanning whats going on in my district anyways.

One more rookie question here, are the police 10-codes standard? the only lists I can find, seem to also include California Penal codes such as 187 (homicides) 211 (Robbery) So im a bit weary to trust that. If anyone has a list of CPS common used codes, that would be fantasitc!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

smason

One more rookie question here, are the police 10-codes standard? the only lists I can find, seem to also include California Penal codes such as 187 (homicides) 211 (Robbery) So im a bit weary to trust that. If anyone has a list of CPS common used codes, that would be fantasitc!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Did you find the 10 codes? There are some listed in the Alberta Wiki here:

Alberta(CA) - The RadioReference Wiki

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
I get coverage citywide from the Bankers Hall tower... program that one in and you'll be set no matter where you go, its pretty high power.

yycvor

Premium Subscriber
Great! thanks for the help. I picked up my scanner used, and I believe its programed to bankers hall as Im having great success hearing the CPS, mainly district 3/7 dispatch, but thats because I believe thats the area I am in (NW). I can also recieve District 4/5. Do the CPS ever use any of the specialty channels, I have yet to ever hear any traffic on 90% of them. I would assume I would have to be in range to hear District 1 and 6?, or is buddy's pre programming wrong? Im currently trying to figure out how im going to match my 396T to my PC, with its ancient soundcard plug in.
Once again thanks for all the help everyone

corncobs

question about your scanner?

OK i live in calgary too same with you in the NW and i was wondering what scanners did you use to hear the CPS, im intertested in that too! so i wanna no where you get your scanner and which one. thats it for now hope to hear from you soon.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Read Forums

Uniden BCD396T Digital Scanner ( APCO 25 DIGITAL) as stated in the OP first post. You found this forum, and there are numerous other forums on Radioreference discussing where to buy these in Calgary, Canada and the US. I'm not certain we need to start another discussion on scanners and where to buy when they have been discussed numerous times. There are numerous threads on this in the Western, Eastern, and US threads. There are numerous threads discussing numerous stores to purchase from and the numerous pros and cons of buying locally, nationally and internationally.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden BCD396T Digital Scanner ( APCO 25 DIGITAL) as stated in the OP first post. You found this forum, and there are numerous other forums on Radioreference discussing where to buy these in Calgary, Canada and the US. I'm not certain we need to start another discussion on scanners and where to buy when they have been discussed numerous times. There are numerous threads on this in the Western, Eastern, and US threads. There are numerous threads discussing numerous stores to purchase from and the numerous pros and cons of buying locally, nationally and internationally.

Someone obviously pissed in someones corn flakes this morning .... I don't think that you are being any help to people that are asking for it. If you feel that you don't want to help .. maybe you should take it elsewhere.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Don't like Corn Flakes Thanks

At least I gave him a scanner model!

Status
Not open for further replies.