Calgary - couple of unidentified amateur repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
And around 2245 on 444.8875 I did hear some digital sounds on this frequency. It was about half scale in Calgary and I thought I picked up a little sound on reverse but not really sure. The digital noise did not sound like P25 or D*Star. But as there are so many different digital modes, I really can't say what it was. My knowledge of CW is 0 and there was a digital identifier about 2255 hours.

It appears as though what you heard was the first Yaesu digital C4FM 'fusion' mixed mode repeater in Alberta. I had a phone call with a ham from that area and it appears that the 444.8875 repeater is running mixed mode and is using a PL of 131.8hz in analogue and is the Yaesu flavour of C4FM for digital. Apparently it is in southern Calgary, and is owned by the Wildrose group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Well, that means there's at least one user of that protocol... wish I understood why Yaesu and the others (IIRC there was at least one other company that made up their own C4FM protocol for the ham bands) wouldn't just get their heads together and do something that everyone could use.

I've been hearing of an upcoming DSTAR/DMR radio recently. Excuse me while I don't hold my breath that the non-DSTAR side will be compatible with anything else but itself.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Well, that means there's at least one user of that protocol... wish I understood why Yaesu and the others (IIRC there was at least one other company that made up their own C4FM protocol for the ham bands) wouldn't just get their heads together and do something that everyone could use.

I've been hearing of an upcoming DSTAR/DMR radio recently. Excuse me while I don't hold my breath that the non-DSTAR side will be compatible with anything else but itself.

Actually CSI inc has released a DMR tier 2 compatible DMR radio. I actually own one, 302.50 shipped to me, including a spare battery, programming cable, and speaker mic. Yes it actually is DMR

Jerry is actively looking at building a DStar/DMR tier 2 portable. I am betting it will actually happen.

This is the CS-700
u2uba6ym.jpg
taken just now in my room in camp, beside my IC-92ad.

While Edmonton does not have a DMR repeater, I have been playing on simplex with a couple of other guys in Edmonton that have bought them and they do well on simplex, and audio quality is better than P25, DStar and Provoice. The radio will do both FM and NFM selected per channel.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I see comments about the CS7000 in the Digital Voice thread. Will be interesting, but there are people already calling for P25 as well to be included with D-Star. I have not heard anything recently on the 444.8875 frequency as I think the frequency is actually 444.900 which is the Wildrose Network P25/FM repeater. I have no idea what the C4FM digital sounds like. Looking at APRS there is at least 1 person with the Yaesu Digital radio. Not sure if Wildrose is also looking at C4FM. Nothing on their web site when I last looked at it on the weekend. Have not heard any other digital noise on any of my programmed frequencies. Have done a sweep occasionally of the ham bands but nothing picked up in the usual repeater or simplex frequencies. The cost of the Yaesu 400 digital is expensive. But until there is more action on D-Star or if C4FM ever catches on, will not be looking at C4FM. CARA had problems with their D-Star repeater on the weekend but was corrected on Monday/Tuesday of this week [at least from the announcements on 146.85].

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The 444.900 repeater IS P25, call VE6RPT, 444.8875 is adifferent, seperate repeater.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, missed the posting on Wildrose network and do see that Fusion is coming. But the link on their web page brings up an error. I thought I had 444.8875 still programmed into my scanners but must have changed to the 444.900. Will put .8875 back in and see if there is any activity on it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Sorry, missed the posting on Wildrose network and do see that Fusion is coming. But the link on their web page brings up an error. I thought I had 444.8875 still programmed into my scanners but must have changed to the 444.900. Will put .8875 back in and see if there is any activity on it.

I do not have any reason to doubt my source, but I would guess the analogue side will likely be NFM

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I do not have any reason to doubt my source, but I would guess the analogue side will likely be NFM

It is possible that the finalized frequency will be moved down 12.5KHz from the one posted, had one of my fellow Repeaterbook admins contact me regarding 444.875 this morning in regards to a WRN call sign so at this point I am a little unsure as to the exact frequency that the fusion repeater will actually be on. And like you robertmac, I also got a 404 error when I tried to follow the fusion link on the WWRN website.

VE6E0

Interesting news about the fusion repeater. If you want I can give it a test, as I have a FTm-400. Would be interested in knowing how they set up the repeater, as one of the options allow for analog/digital operation on receive, but it will convert the digital to analog for transmit. Could also program up the APX and see if it P25 as opposed to C4FM.

Cheers

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Interesting news about the fusion repeater. If you want I can give it a test, as I have a FTm-400. Would be interested in knowing how they set up the repeater, as one of the options allow for analog/digital operation on receive, but it will convert the digital to analog for transmit. Could also program up the APX and see if it P25 as opposed to C4FM.

Cheers

I know that the Yaesu digital is NOT P25 compatible. P25 is also a C4FM as is DMR, this is simply the 'how' the information is modulated onto the carrier.

VE6E0

I know, but if you wanted me to see, if it is one or the other, have capability in both.

Now, what I am really looking for is a VHF/UHF DMR radio. That would be nice to have.

Cheers

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I know, but if you wanted me to see, if it is one or the other, have capability in both.

Now, what I am really looking for is a VHF/UHF DMR radio. That would be nice to have.

Cheers

Ah I see. There is a P25 repeater in Calgary area now, it is the Ve6RPT machine. NAC is $293, repeater runs mixed mode with a PL of 131.8 as well.

There are no dual band DMR radios out there. Really, besides the amateur market, there is no need for them, individual commercial users are usually just on one band or the other not both,chance no end for dual band.

I would love to see CSI come out with a mobile that can link two different band modals to one remote head. I would dump my dual band ham mobile in a heart beat. As long as I can cross band repeat... I love the feature.

VE6E0

One would think, with the amount of DMR being sold to PSA's as a solution, that one of the suppliers will offer a multi-band multimode radio for inter-operability reasons, though the marketing/sales guys would rather offer one digital flavour or the other.

The vendors would rather sell a repeater in a box solution, then allow a mobile to function as a repeater. Of course, one could always get a Futurecomm mobile repeater, but then you lose frequency agility.

Cheers

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
One would think, with the amount of DMR being sold to PSA's as a solution, that one of the suppliers will offer a multi-band multimode radio for inter-operability reasons, though the marketing/sales guys would rather offer one digital flavour or the other.

The vendors would rather sell a repeater in a box solution, then allow a mobile to function as a repeater. Of course, one could always get a Futurecomm mobile repeater, but then you lose frequency agility.

Cheers

This is true. I would love to see a dual band commercial radio that supports DMR, even if I need to link to monoband radios to a single control head, like a dual drawer Ma/Com Orion.

I agree, they would rather force you to go to a futurecomm solution, I will not spend the money on it. The biggest problem is it requires a XTL-5000 with, IIRC, an O5 or O9 control head. It makes it a $K11+ setup! WAY more money than what I want to spend. The futurecomm repeaters have some very nice features, when paired with the XTL series radio though, too bad they do not come out with a DMR version, at a much more reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.