Calgary Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
By the end of the week (April 6) CPS and bylaw will be encrypted.

I got this from a source inside the department that all radios have been re-keyed and bylaw now has CPS radios that can do encryption.

Just in time for the new Uniden scanner!

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Bylaw, really? Won't miss them at all. So time to hit social media.

smason

Bylaw, really? Won't miss them at all. So time to hit social media.
Not that I listened to bylaw much, occasionally if there was a particular lost dog on social media that I was keeping an eye out for, but seems pretty silly that they would go.

Not much on either system left in the clear. Hard to justify my 2 (soon to be 3) Digital capable scanners.
Oh well, they're pretty good on analog too :)

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the news media in Calgary will be issued encrypted CPS radios on dispatch channels?

I know they have been in the past, I can only imagine they will be. However I know some used scanners to listen to multiple channels at once in the past, that will not be the case going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

masonb

Really... ByLaw? This encryption trend is getting out of hand.

Let me guess, Transit is next

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber

Transit constables using the CPIC database are encrypted already.

Bylaw just intergraded the CAD system and dispatch to reduce duplication by having a secondary call centre.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

As mentioned in another thread [edit: and above], any access of the CPIC system must be encrypted.

IMHO that should not include general ops channels, as most of these places have (or should have) records/info/check channels, but obviously nobody asked for my opinion...

Last edited:

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned in another thread, any access of the CPIC system must be encrypted.

IMHO that should not include general ops channels, as most of these places have (or should have) records/info/check channels, but obviously nobody asked for my opinion...

Common sense.... that’s not allowed on the internet!

beeperboy

As mentioned in another thread [edit: and above], any access of the CPIC system must be encrypted.

The more active channels you have, the more manpower you need to monitor and service them. Software is cheaper than trained dispatchers nowadays.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The more active channels you have, the more manpower you need to monitor and service them. Software is cheaper than trained dispatchers nowadays.

This is true; I guess it's easier to just run the check on the primary channel than have the officer move to Info, run the check, get the details, and move back, especially if it's a priority incident.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, Calgary police public affairs, I'm told, says CPS has no plans to start full-time encryption anytime soon.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Did the media get AHS radios when they moved over, or do they just rely on the PIO?

As one can tell by the late reports. At least Heterodyne is posting more up to date info. but he mentioned he is re locating back to Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.