Calgary Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Could always listen to Transit, Enmax....

Oh gosh NO. Have spent most of the day hitting lockout. Soon nothing worthwhile. At least I don't have to worry about the new Uniden scanner coming out. Save some money. This takes us back to 1988!

CalgaryActive

So, this trial ...is this a permanent thing or just this week?

It’s permanent. News media have (almost) all received their new radios, the new dispatch consoles are installed, and once CPS hit the switch they’re encrypted for good.

Phoenixgld

They wouldn't go through the significant expense of encryption, key loading etc, if it wasn't a permanent thing.
I realise that ..I was comprehending the poster that said he spoke with a cps member that stated they were "trialing" this week

CalgaryActive

Almost? Except for those getting too close to the action lately?

Not sure what you're referring to there, but all legitimate media in Calgary have been given an opportunity to purchase new radios that support encryption. APX4000s in most cases.

Not all have been delivered yet due to supply issues, but no media outlet has been denied access.

smason

Ugh, this really sucks.

I totally understand it, but this ends a very long time hobby.

Yep. I've been scanning since the mid-70s. Bit of a break between the move to P25, and when the P25 scanners came out. This definitely sucks.

Heard sirens outside the office this morning, fired up Proscan to connect to my 996 at home.
Not much heard, did hear one unencrypted unit on A1 briefly.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Yep. I've been scanning since the mid-70s. Bit of a break between the move to P25, and when the P25 scanners came out. This definitely sucks.

Power goes with those holding the communications. The rest are but peasants.

Last edited by a moderator:

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
CPS can now control how the media reports the news.
If they do not like how the media is reporting on a story all they have to do is change the code and the media is locked out.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
If they do not like how the media is reporting on a story all they have to do is change the code and the media is locked out.

Why bother going through the hassle to change codes when you can just shut down radios assigned to them via the data stream. Hope they have a liberal radio return policy.

beeperboy

The intent of CPS (and all police forces) to encrypt their comms isn't nearly as nefarious as all the naysayers on this forum would have you believe. Military comms have been encrypted for decades, and I don't hear anyone suggesting that they do it in an effort to deceive or control the citizenry.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
The intent of CPS (and all police forces) to encrypt their comms isn't nearly as nefarious as all the naysayers on this forum would have you believe. Military comms have been encrypted for decades, and I don't hear anyone suggesting that they do it in an effort to deceive or control the citizenry.

We live in world of alternative facts and if the government does not like the news it is called fake news.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

beeperboy

We live in world of alternative facts and if the government does not like the news it is called fake news.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

After having worked in several levels of govt, I don't buy into your conspiracy theory.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
After having worked in several levels of govt, I don't buy into your conspiracy theory.

I have also worked for the government.
There are things that go on in the government that are way above your security clearance and you would not know it's going on.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
No scanners on the Kijiji in Calgary yet!

If you throw away your hobby because one agency has become unavailable, you need to broaden your interests.

There's still all sorts of other things to listen to, and not just transit & utilities as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Countless fire agencies are in the clear. EMS mutual aid channels are in the clear. A number of police agencies (including those who are on AFRRCS) are monitorable. If your interests include school buses, taxis, utilities etc., fill your boots. But Calgary Police going away doesn't mean the sky has fallen in.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber

This is like comparing Apples and Oranges. I have worked most of my life with upper management controlling what can be said and what can't. Thus we are led to believe what we are fed. They feel that simpletons can't think for themselves anymore. Back to the dark ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.