Calgary FD Alarm Responses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
I've been out of touch with this lately, so someone please help out if I'm wrong but:

First Alarms: 2 Engines, 1 Aerial, 1 Rescue
Working fire: 1 Engine, 1 Hazmat unit, 1 Airlight unit, 1 FRP, 2 District Chiefs, 1 Investigator
2nd Alarm: I believe is just 2 Engines and 1 Aerial and then a third district chief/command staff
3rd and 4th alarms should be 2 Engines and 1 Aerial and then whatever command wants to special call after that - Extra Engines, Tenders etc..

Cochrane_Fire_Buff

Bow Valley Fire Buffing
Odd, I was at a scene today in the beltline area. If I recall these were the rigs in attendance.

Engines 1, 2, 5, 48
Aerial 1
High Rise Support 2
Technical Rescue 11
Fire Rescue Paramedic 7
Central District Chief
AHS EMS Incident Response Paramedic
AHS EMS Paramedic

I heard Hazmat 4 get called out over tones but didn't see it at the scene. After talking to a firefighter after turns out it was just a small kitchen fire, nothing too major. Would the number of rigs in attendance be due just to the fact that it is a high-risk incident if the fire spread as it was in a high-density apartment building?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, downtown incidents (highrises) automatically get 3 Engines. I don't know what to tell you about the 4th due Engine, that could be a new thing or maybe Command requested the 4th Engine

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Two things to remember here, not necessarily specific to Calgary:

1) Incident commander can ask for additional units over and above the "standard" response and they don't necessarily count against the alarm level. (YMMV - some cities do this, and some cities "automatically" increase the alarm level based on what's been dispatched)
2) Units can be cleared from the incident depending on the situation found, or even the situation as described while enroute. For example in my agency, while multiple units are sent to an alarms call, if we have someone on site claiming it's a false alarm, we will cancel the secondary units and leave the first-due engine to drive there "cold" (no lights/sirens) and confirm the situation.

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
First alarm for a fire is 2 Engines, 1 Aerial, 1 Rescue, 1 Hazmat, 1 Air/Light, 1 FRP, 2 DC's (usually). Add an extra engine and aerial for highrise/highlife hazard, highrise will also get the highrise truck if it hasn't been sent as the air/light).

Working fire doesn't add anything unless command requests. It's more or less just a "place marker" for radio comms/incident tracking.

Not sure what 2nd and beyond alarm assignments are, they are so few and far between and alarm assignments. Most of the time command just requests specific additional rigs that are needed instead of requesting a whole alarm assignment. Since they send so many trucks on first alarms now, it's rare they need to call for additional "alarms."

Fire alarm bells ringing are 2 Engines, 1 Aerial, 1 Rescue, if it's a high rise, add another aerial and the highrise unit and if it's a single residential, it's typically just 1 Engine.

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
I've been out of touch with this lately, so someone please help out if I'm wrong but:

First Alarms: 2 Engines, 1 Aerial, 1 Rescue
Working fire: 1 Engine, 1 Hazmat unit, 1 Airlight unit, 1 FRP, 2 District Chiefs, 1 Investigator
2nd Alarm: I believe is just 2 Engines and 1 Aerial and then a third district chief/command staff
3rd and 4th alarms should be 2 Engines and 1 Aerial and then whatever command wants to special call after that - Extra Engines, Tenders etc..
From what I understand, StampedeCityStringer is correct, but in terms of 2nd alarm responses, I believe it's usually the same as a Fire Alarms call, 2 extra Engines, 1 extra Rescue, and an extra Aerial. That's what I saw at 2nd alarm scenes before, 3rd alarm+ are usually always ATLEAST 1 Engine from what I've seen, and then whatever rig the Primary/Scene Command requests. (Oh and the Battalion Chief goes to 2nd alarm+ Fire's i've noticed.)

This is just my observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.