Calgary has a new live scanner feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I bumped into this via twitter it seems this person "she" is inviting people via twitter to listen to CFD scanner?

Caught it on reddit.com/r/calgary as well as on @crackmacs twitter...

I was under the impression that CFD always witch hunted people who did this in Calgary. Save the legality posts I understand the law. I am just surprised that with twitter being so public they have not already shut this down? I took a quick peek at her feed and see that yycfire and some news agency's are bantering back and forth? Is this annemaccat a users here me wonders?

Twitter for user is below as posted crackmacs on reddit.com

@annemaccat

Twitter Profile:
Anne Cartwright
No url set in profile.
User since: 2009/01/05

Serious News Addict & Scannerholic. Owner of NB4IN Feed.To listen, follow me, tweet me, we'll get you an invite. Hear what happens before it's news.

Friends: 104 Followers: 193 Listed: 3 Tweets: 1819

Thoughts?

AnneMacCat

And I'm a member of RR too

Maybe things have changed over the years? When was the last live feed done in Calgary? I hate that I've become a subject of your witch hunt here, maybe we can talk about this? Let me know what I'm doing wrong in your eyes, I've put out a disclaimer loud and clear that this feed is for listening only, not to be divulged or recorded in any way Listening is by invite only. I have at the most 3 - 4 listeners at a time. PM me on this. Don't be doing what you're doing right now - it ain't too cool. BTW: do you happen to be following me?? Are you one of the new ones today?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

AnneMacCat said:
Maybe things have changed over the years? When was the last live feed done in Calgary? I hate that I've become a subject of your witch hunt here, maybe we can talk about this? Let me know what I'm doing wrong in your eyes, I've put out a disclaimer loud and clear that this feed is for listening only, not to be divulged or recorded in any way Listening is by invite only. I have at the most 3 - 4 listeners at a time. PM me on this. Don't be doing what you're doing right now - it ain't too cool. BTW: do you happen to be following me?? Are you one of the new ones today?

The real question is: have you asked for AND received permission to stream the agencies communications?

KJ6HCB

You sound like a nut.

Last edited:

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
The link is password protected .
If the scanner feeds in Canada are illegal ; Why has Lindsay not shut down all the feeds from Canada except for Redwood Meadows fire(official feed)?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Because it is not HIS responsibility to ensure if the feeds are legal or not. Besides it is the FEED PROVIDERs responsibility to be compliant with the law, and not knowing the law is not an excuse.

SCPD

QRT
"I hate that I've become a subject of your witch hunt here, maybe we can talk about this?"

First and foremost this is not "my" witch hunt. I was here the last time there was a scanner feed run it was shut it down as the person did not have any permission from the Calgary Fire department, EMS or CPS to broadcast radio communication traffic. I seem to remember someone even had a signed letter they scanned in. It was a website "calgaryscanner.com??" I don't know it was in 2007. Second I don't give crap about what you do in your free time, I don't even know who you are... scanners are easy to get a hold of and frankly it's why we are all part of this community.

In effect all that happened was that I ran into a Reddit post by @crackmacs who a lot of people follow.. I don't know who you are (I know the majority of the scanner and amateur radio community in Calgary). I merely posted this here because I was wondering if anything has changed since the last time a scanner feed was setup in Calgary or if you were a member here.

Don't be doing what you're doing right now - it ain't too cool. BTW: do you happen to be following me?? Are you one of the new ones today?

I don't understand what this really means, I have done nothing but state obvious facts broadcasted by your twitter / followers and am inquiring on the legitimacy of this feed. For all I know it could be any one of the people on this forum that have been here for years. So relax, no one is out to give you a hard time I could care less if you want to do this I was just curious.

And no I am not following you, and am only asking open ended questions.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
If the scanner feeds in Canada are illegal ; Why has Lindsay not shut down all the feeds from Canada except for Redwood Meadows fire(official feed)?

The link was not password protected at the time that I made the original post, this was done after.
(I assume after you found this post)

I do believe I read somewhere that Edmonton feed does have permission to only stream EFD and EMS.
As for Redwood we all know Jay911 by now I hope.

I'll go back to lurk mode for another year this forum seems to have become slightly aggressive to basic inquiry.
Sorry if I caused you or maple any inconvenience I was honestly just wondering.

Cheers.

Last edited:

MrVelvet

My question is, why? I know, I know, you want to provide news before it's news blah blah blah.

Providing simple access to CFD comms for anyone to get a link to is irresponsible, (yeah, I know, it's "password protected"). You have no permission from the City or CFD and as mentioned earlier, both look down heavily on anyone rebroadcasting their information.

There is a CFD Public Information Officer, (and legitimate News sources), for a reason - it is not your duty as a scanner owner to provide details on what you can hear to anyone on your twitter feed or elsewhere.

I enjoy my scanner hobby and have for a long time, but what I hear and how I hear it are details I keep private as I want to retain that ability to enjoy my hobby.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

CalgaryToad said:

The link was not password protected at the time that I made the original post, this was done after.
(I assume after you found this post)

I do believe I read somewhere that Edmonton feed does have permission to only stream EFD and EMS.
As for Redwood we all know Jay911 by now I hope.

I'll go back to lurk mode for another year this forum seems to have become slightly aggressive to basic inquiry.
Sorry if I caused you or maple any inconvenience I was honestly just wondering.

Cheers.

Edmonton Fire Radio does have the blessing of EFR and EMS to stream.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

I would LOVE to see IC make an example of one of these idiots that stream with out an agancies permission, IdleMonitor: it is irresponsible to be streaming with out permission, and irresponsible to encourage someone to do it.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
Why are people assuming she does not have premission to stream?
Kayn1n32008 it is not very nice to call people idiots when you do not know the full story.
Kayn1n32008 you are assuming things. Some people on here should grow up ;act like a adult not like a child being a bully.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Why are people assuming she does not have premission to stream?
Kayn1n32008 it is not very nice to call people idiots when you do not know the full story.
Kayn1n32008 you are assuming things. Some people on here should grow up ;act like a adult not like a child being a bully.

At no time did I claim that AnneMacCat does not have permission, but at no time has that person said that they do. My money is on that he/she does not have permission.
People are just willy nilly streaming what ever they want with out any thought to the concequences to doing it. It will only take one prosecution by IC to set precedence and make these people think about what they are doing.

In My Opinion, ANYONE that streams a public safety organization, in Canada, WITH OUT that agencies PERMISSION is an idiot.

HDMechanic

I agree with Calgary Toad and kayn1n32008 that pepole should not be putting live scanner feeds online with out the proper permisson. My guess is that they do not have proper permission hence the password required to lisen. This is why we have many angencies going encrypted due to pepole duing the wrong things.

scannerboy01

I agree with Calgary Toad and kayn1n32008 that pepole should not be putting live scanner feeds online with out the proper permisson. My guess is that they do not have proper permission hence the password required to lisen. This is why we have many angencies going encrypted due to pepole duing the wrong things.
I totally agree with you. Reasons like this are probably why some agencies are going encrypted. If you get proper permission from the agencies you will be streaming, they might not be angry at you and might even encourage listening to the feed. An example would be, going to a fire station for a tour and they could be saying to listen to the feed to learn more about the services they provide. AnneMacCat, maybe you should talk to some audio providers such as EdmontonFireRadio or Jay911 about how asking permission has helped them not get in trouble from the agency they are streaming.

MrVelvet

So it's not just a CFD scanner anymore - full EMS and CPS is also available.

She has also stated that this is not an authorized feed and she is "waiting for legal".

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
The city is aware of the feed way before Calgary Toad said anything on here.
She is working with certain people in the city trying to get a official feed set up.
Mr Velvet what is on the feed is not full CPS and EMS . It what would be allowed on RR.
The feed was set this for more control then what is on RR.
The password was put the if you are found to break the rules . The password would be changed and you can not listen any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.