Calgary Police Unit ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Hello Fellow Calgary Scanners.

I have been recording CPS Unit ID's from my HP1 and my new 436HP.

I have figured out that the Unit ID's that start with 40xxx are CPS Handhelds, and 5xxxx are the installed radios in the units. The most telling thing with this is a 40xxx radio will be in District 8 one day, District 3 next month, and North District a week later. The 5xxxx ones match up with what is decal is on the side of the trucks (e.g., UnitID 52903 was 2903 on the air, UID 54401 matches up with the Traffic Sargent.) However I do notice that one day UID 51245 will be 1245 one day and 1246 the next.

Does anyone else notice this? Does anyone else have some info to share?

Attachments

• CPS Unit ID's.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 112

ahp309

District constables will drive whatever vehicle is available, so the Unit numbers on the side/roof will not necessarily match the radio call sign they are using. Other specific units like District Sgt's radio call sign/vehicle & radio numbers will match unless they are driving a spare vehicle.

The guys that decal vehicles in the CPS garage are going to be busy this month changing the North Division vehicles back to Districts 5 & 7.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Being a medic, doesn't surprise me too much..

Why are they taking apart North District?

Doesn't it become an issue that unit 1334 is in car 1316 when others are looking for unit 1334, and HAWC only finding 316?

MrVelvet

District constables will drive whatever vehicle is available, so the Unit numbers on the side/roof will not necessarily match the radio call sign they are using. Other specific units like District Sgt's radio call sign/vehicle & radio numbers will match unless they are driving a spare vehicle.

That is incorrect. The radio ID you hear members use is their vehicle ID and will always match what they are driving - they have no bearing or link to the member's reg whatsoever.

As for the original question - I gave up trying to tie radio IDs to unit IDs long ago TM. Some match, and most don't - it really doesn't look like there is a defined standard in setting radio IDs when they are installed.

Keep in mind a CPS member will have a vehicle based mobile radio which will be a fixed radio ID, but is not guaranteed to match the vehicle's ID, and they will also have a on belt portable radio which is signed out by them at the start of their shift and has no radio ID connection to their vehicle ID.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Thanks MrVelvet,

I long gave up on the portables /HT from CPS. They start at UnitID 40101 and go up from there. When one of those radios are in North one day, D3 the next, and D8 after that... It's the only thing that makes sense.

The mobile radio Unit ID's appear to have a rhyme and reason to them Unit ID 51334 is a District 3 response unit, 51101 is a District 1 Sargent, 54415 is a traffic, and 52903 is the duty inspector.

Post what you have and we can maybe map it out better

ryan433pk

Here in Saskatoon I've completely labeled every police radio. They use 36XXX for cars, 34XXX for special unit portables and 32XXX for portables. This system makes a lot more sense than the one calgary is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.