Calgary residential n00b, looking for some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semaj

Howdy.

I'm a total n00b here. My interest in this type of work actually came from an iPod Touch application called "Scanner 911", an internet-based international police scanner.

I'm interested in scanning local police, EMS, air, that sort of thing, and I'm not all too sure where to start.

My main interest is being able to listen in on "D" Digital Talk Groups... What kind of equipment would I need for this?

As I have no idea even where to start LOOKING, I'll tell you what I want ;)

Something capable of decoding "D" Digital Talk Groups, relatively portable (belt clip?), and PC programmable would be nice. My price range is quite low, as this is nothing more that an interest at this point.

I'm looking for a model, not necessarily new, for under $200 that can do what I want.

Thank you in advance for reading.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Ooohhh

Bite my tongue! Radioreference.com. Just a couple items lower!

Last edited:

Semaj

Any recommendations? I know this may complicate matters, but I do not have a credit card. I do, however, have a paypal account and should have around $260 loaded into it by the 2nd week of January (it takes a while to verify).

Also, somewhere local, like a store or something, where I can pick one up would be fabulous.

Semaj

It seems as though the scanners HERE are my best bet, as I can order one with my debit card and have it sent to my nearest Source store.

Are any of them APCO-25 compatible? Or rather, compatible for what I want? Please note, I am looking for an introductory scanner... nothing too fancy... or pricey...

omrail

the PSR500C and the PSR600C are

to get one for $250 or less you will have to go on eBay or something. you are looking at $500 or more for a P25 scanner.

there is a place in Calgary in the NE near bow&32ave area.

Last edited:

smason

Are any of them APCO-25 compatible? Or rather, compatible for what I want? Please note, I am looking for an introductory scanner... nothing too fancy... or pricey...

Because you need Apco-25, you're not going to get an introductory scanner, your options are the GRE 500 and 600 or the Bearcat 396 and 996. Word has it that for Calgary digital, the GREs do a slightly better job on digital audio. I have the GRE PSR 600, and it's great!
The GREs are dead simple to program if you use software ($30.00ish)

I keep waiting for The Source to have a sale on the 500 (I know, keep dreaming...) because I have a few gift cards for the local mall. I may have to bite the bullet and pay full price (ugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.