Calhoun Co New 800MHZ Encrypted System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunkster2002

The new 800 mhz system upgrade has begun. If you put in control channel 859.7625 it will be in 9600 baud rate and the system ID keeps changing. Its encrypted. Comms in Calhoun and Talladega co is almost over for good. When the system upgrade is complete.

Trunkster2002

Pro-96. They are upgrading to an encrypted system and the old system is still up and running on 3600 baud. The new system is 9600 baud and its encrypted. Thats what 24 million can do for you. They don't like to be heard here. The people that run the system are the ones that wanted it encrypted from what I hear. They have to have encrypted signals here so they can hide under a rock. It is supposed to be for the incentoration of chemical weapons. But that is done on the ARMY Depot. The county radio system has nothing to due with anything.

CalhounEM6

Sorry that you fell that way, but to be a fully P-25 Phase one system it has to be done. but you can still listen to the VFD's

CSL126

Wow dude, that really sucks! Too bad they couldn't just encrypt a few channels to use for sensitive data. Seems like they could've left the dispatch channels open. That really sounds like a waste of money to me. If cities like LA and NY can get away with having a radio system that isn't encrypted then i'm sure Calhoun county can lol. Anyway, sorry to hear about that, some people are going to have to find a new hobby now.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Nows the time to start writing the local politicians and getting letters printed in the local papers. Ask them what do they have to hide from honest citizens by encrypting all radio communication, and ask why public tax dollars are going to fund a system that the public will not have any oversight of.

I posted this over on the Florida forum on a discussion about the State's encrypted ProVoice system. It might have some useful arguments for anyone to use during their letter writing campaigns: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=343931&posted=1#post343931

Last edited:

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Sorry that you fell that way, but to be a fully P-25 Phase one system it has to be done. but you can still listen to the VFD's

What Project 25 Phase I documentation are you basing this on? Phase I does support 3 types of encyption, however nothing I've read about Phase I states that systems must have full-time encryption to be considered Phase I.

Warren

Trunkster2002

It's all about silence. These people don't like there comms being heard. They have nothing better to do but spend money. I heard DHS is the one funding the system. Wasted money. Why will you be able to hear VFD's and nobody else. I guess the dog catchers will be encrypted. Or the Bus drivers that want the Board of education to call Anniston Police because of a car blocking the driveway. Or a sheriff that yells at deputies over the air. That is what 24 million is buying. There is no reason for encryption. Over 500 talkgroups that talks about nothing but crack heads. Some DHS emergency to encrypt. CNN,FOX NEWS and MSNBC would love to hear about this one. Or as Perter Jennings used to say, Fleecing of America.

CalhounEM6

Radio

Any agency that wanted there communications Encryped were offered that option. Mostly only Law Enforcement took the option. except for the sheriff he took it on only a couple. the current system could of been encryped in the start. its only programming it cost nothing extra. all motorola astro radios come from the factory with the option you just have to turn it on.

trace1

CalhounEM6 said:
Any agency that wanted there communications Encryped were offered that option. Mostly only Law Enforcement took the option. except for the sheriff he took it on only a couple.

So it’s just the law enforcement channels that are going to be encrypted? All of them (with the exception of the Sheriff‘s couple of channels)? Couldn’t they have dedicated TG’s encrypted just for sensitive information? Doesn’t make sense to encrypt the whole law enforcement side but I guess it’s their choice and within their right. There are some dedicated scanner listeners out there that just might happen to see the BOLO that is being urgently sought and it’d be easy for that concerned citizen to pick up their phone and report it. But then again on the other hand you have those less desirables that utilize scanners to monitor law enforcement frequencies to further enhance their illegal activities...

At least I’ll still be able to monitor the school buses when the driver is yelling... I mean telling someone about a kid that got on the wrong bus... I guess. ;)

jimn0868

This radio system was suppose to be used for different agencies to be able to talk to each other, like Anniston PD to talk to Oxford PD, but they dont want each others talkgroup to be gave out. Thats defeating the whole purpose of the radio system! Every agency in Calhoun County should be able to have each others talkgroups. I talked to my uncle in Atlanta that works for Fema and told him about the radio system being used like it is. He was very upset that the radio system was being used like that!! He said he would be coming down to Calhoun County and find out why the talkgroups were not being used for communications for all agencies. Can you say inneroperability between agencies !!!!

TechnoDave

Wow, sounds like a bunch of stingy kids. "No, its mine, you cant talk on it, I had it first".

I am really glad we have the "p-call" channel down here. There are still only a few agencies that have it but it has worked really well in certain circumstances. I personally, however, really wish Jeff Co. would stop using it to call in minor wrecks and so forth that are in the city limits. I thought the channel was to be used for high priority emergencies. (Assist w/ chases, bank robberys, etc etc)

Just another early morning rant.

SCPD

QRT
It's all about silence. These people don't like there comms being heard. They have nothing better to do but spend money. I heard DHS is the one funding the system. Wasted money. Why will you be able to hear VFD's and nobody else. I guess the dog catchers will be encrypted. Or the Bus drivers that want the Board of education to call Anniston Police because of a car blocking the driveway. Or a sheriff that yells at deputies over the air. That is what 24 million is buying. There is no reason for encryption. Over 500 talkgroups that talks about nothing but crack heads. Some DHS emergency to encrypt. CNN,FOX NEWS and MSNBC would love to hear about this one. Or as Perter Jennings used to say, Fleecing of America.

So call/email em & tell em all about it??

mgcc85

I’m not following what the big deal is here. I’ve personally heard different agencies communicate with each other many times on this system, and it’s no secret. This system was designed for that, so the notion that it is not interoperable is simply untrue. Even if a certain agency’s fleet of radios were programmed with another agency’s talkgroups, that doesn’t necessarily mean that a police officer or firefighter, for example, would choose to communicate with another agency just because he/she had the ability to do so, unless it was an absolute emergency. In my opinion, it seems that every agency has their own policies regarding the use of radios as an interoperable tool and how communication between and among other agencies is to be made. But I’m no expert, that’s just how I see it. Maybe I’m wrong.

SCPD

QRT
I think the OP should start answering some ot the responses before anyone else responds??:), that s start backing up his post with some hard facts instead of what he has so far??. Anyone else agree????\

Also just noticed this thread wa started bck in August, whats it doing as recent now?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.