California desert communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

I'm curious what part of the desert you travel. Having spent the last 30+ years working and playing in the high and low deserts, I've found it difficult to find places where there wasn't some sort of ham coverage available, unless you get deep within either China Lake or Ft. Irwin. There are lots of holes, but not to many large areas where there's absolutely nothing.

Getting to the specifics of what I said, "my route to work". My route to work is about 40 miles, of that about 20 has no or extremely spotty, ham coverage. And also no cell for about 25 miles.

I have never really had much in the way of ham gear with me on Irwin, never been there in a POV, only a gov vehicle, so not sure of the ham coverage on Irwin proper. On the north edge, on Monument land, I know coverage is spotty at best. As for China Lake most of that is covered very well actually. Sure, some of the canyons anyplace on post are bad, and several large valleys are without coverage, but I bet it amounts to less than 20% of the area is without VHF/UHF ham coverage of some type. I guess the biggest hole would be Mojave B North, south Panamint Valley. And even from there you can get into both Vegas and Trona machines if you can find a high point.

You want to find areas of no VHF/UHF coverage start looking in the canyons and such around Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, and parts of Death Valley. Goler Canyon, Anvil Spring Canyon, Coyote Canyon, Fish Canyon, Surprise Canyon, Jail Canyon, the Saint George mine area, Hunter Mountain Pass road area, the west side of Lippincot Pass, Corridor Canyon, Craig Canyon, parts of Jackass Canyon, the lower eastern side of Forgotten Pass, Lee Flat, any one of a hundred canyons to the immediate west of Saline Peak, etc, etc. The actual area of each of these holes is pretty small, until you have to drive out of them to find coverage. While it might only be a 2 to 10 mile hole that can be a 45 minute to an hour from were you start at.

If you are talking about on road or improved road with no coverage look at sections of 178 (such as Poison Canyon) and Trona Cutoff road. Randsburg Wash Road, and the Teagle Wash area. Parts of 178 between Trona and the 190 (however most of that now has cell coverage, it did not just a few years back). 178 from Walker Pass to Weldon, no (or very spotty) cell or VHF/UHF. Parts of 127 north of 15. Fairly large parts of Sierra Way up to 190 (north of Kernville, but not part of the desert area). Large sections of Scottys Castle Road. Large sections of the Ubehebe Crater road, and Racetrack Valley road.

Speaking of coverage, both VHF/UHF, and cell, many people have no real concept of how it has changed over the recent past. As little as 15 years ago I would have been able to name many, many, 20 and 30 mile segments of highway or improved road that had no coverage of any type. Now it is more typically a few miles along isolated areas. Cell coverage especially has exploded, while ham VHF/UHF in these areas has remained about the same, repeaters come and go, but for the most part the good sites were populated years ago. 190 in Panamint was really bad for years, no cell and no VHF/UHF ham coverage for miles and miles, and multiple accidents each year. Two of the accidents I mentioned were along there and before cell coverage was there. Now you can use your cell almost the entire way. My attitudes about communications are probably a bit dated and influenced by these past times, but I am OK with that.

That is one of the reasons these discussions about transmitting out of band in these threads have become less and less valid. What might have applied 20 or 30 years ago, really been valid, just simply is not today. Yeah, you can “what if” and draw a scenario were it might be needed, but you have to work hard at it. A ham has much better chances of winning the Powerball then ever being in a situation that might “require” the use of Public Service frequencies in an emergency. Like I said before, I have the capability myself, but cannot really ever see a reason it might be needed, there is always another way.

T!

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Getting to the specifics of what I said, "my route to work". My route to work is about 40 miles, of that about 20 has no or extremely spotty, ham coverage. And also no cell for about 25 miles.

Ok, so it sounds from your comments that you're further north toward Death Valley. Yeah, it can be pretty dead up there. What's needed is amateur repeaters on Slate, Parrot Point, Rodgers Peak, Owls Head, etc. All hard to get into. But read on... I've spent time up in those places, and can usually get into something, somewhere.

I have never really had much in the way of ham gear with me on Irwin, never been there in a POV, only a gov vehicle, so not sure of the ham coverage on Irwin proper. On the north edge, on Monument land, I know coverage is spotty at best.

Flash II and Rodman cover the southern portion of the base pretty decently. There are amateur repeaters on both sites. I've never been north of Bicycle Lake, so I don't know for sure. Coverage plots don't look too good. But if you're that deep inside the base, you're probably not talking on ham gear.

As for China Lake most of that is covered very well actually. Sure, some of the canyons anyplace on post are bad, and several large valleys are without coverage, but I bet it amounts to less than 20% of the area is without VHF/UHF ham coverage of some type. I guess the biggest hole would be Mojave B North, south Panamint Valley. And even from there you can get into both Vegas and Trona machines if you can find a high point.

I've seen a document where the base commander was interested in allowing an amateur repeater on Parrot Point. I'm not sure whether that ever happened.

You want to find areas of no VHF/UHF coverage start looking in the canyons and such around Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, and parts of Death Valley. Goler Canyon, Anvil Spring Canyon, Coyote Canyon, Fish Canyon, Surprise Canyon, etc...

Yeah. The canyons are going to be pretty dead for everything. Amateur, cellphone, public safety systems. I carry HF when I'm in those places. It's very reassuring to be hearing traffic on 40 meters when nothing else works.

If you are talking about on road or improved road with no coverage look at sections of 178 (such as Poison Canyon) and Trona Cutoff road. Randsburg Wash Road, and the Teagle Wash area. Parts of 178 between Trona and the 190 (however most of that now has cell coverage, it did not just a few years back).

Poison Canyon and Trona Cutoff should talk to El Paso Peak ok. I'll try it next time I'm up there. Trona Cutoff talks to Blueridge, Quartzite, and Rodman. Not spectacularly, but there IS coverage.

178 from Walker Pass to Weldon, no (or very spotty) cell or VHF/UHF.

Breckenridge should provide some coverage there, I would think.

Parts of 127 north of 15.

There are some closed systems that have stellar coverage of that part of the desert. Turquoise and High Potosi see quite a lot of ground that way. I haven't bothered to look for open systems out there.

Fairly large parts of Sierra Way up to 190 (north of Kernville, but not part of the desert area). Large sections of Scottys Castle Road. Large sections of the Ubehebe Crater road, and Racetrack Valley road.

Ever try any of the LVRA radios out there? I've seen some coverage maps that show at least some level of coverage in a lot of the places you mention. I've found that even if I don't have portable coverage, I can get into SOMETHING with a 100 watt Spectra.

It's pretty apparent that there are gaps in coverage, especially on published repeater lists. But there are also several linked, private systems on several bands that could be used in an emergency situation that actually cover many of the places you mention.

So, for me, if I chose to go into really remote desert areas, I have cellphones, VHF/UHF, and HF. I also carry (authorized) public safety radios. I wouldn't go into the desert without at least the first three. If I forget something, I'd want it to be the public safety radio.

Token

Getting pretty far afield from the subject of this thread, but hey, that horse is a dried rotting corpse by now anyway ;) On the “on topic” side, we are discussing real world options to violating regulations for some of the more remote regions of the continental US. People die here pretty often because of lack of communications.

Ok, so it sounds from your comments that you're further north toward Death Valley. Yeah, it can be pretty dead up there. What's needed is amateur repeaters on Slate, Parrot Point, Rodgers Peak, Owls Head, etc. All hard to get into. But read on... I've spent time up in those places, and can usually get into something, somewhere.

My stomping ground is generally north of 58, all the way up to Reno area, and from the Sierra Nevadas to east of Vegas. On any given weekend my wife and I are out someplace in that area.

I've seen a document where the base commander was interested in allowing an amateur repeater on Parrot Point. I'm not sure whether that ever happened.

How old was that document?

In the early-mid 1980’s the base commander was very interested in communications collaboration. When the area was ravaged in 1984 by storms that resulted in major flooding of portions of the base he placed priority on interconnected communications and ordered a mobile communications post built. It was built into the back of a 5 ton 10x10 truck and included a mobile power source and portable towers / antenna structures. That vehicle included at least 2 radios that could get into every public service repeater that could be reached from anyplace on base. It also included multiple HF radios, from military stuff to an FT757GX that was MARS/CAP modded ( hey, look, on topic ;) ). And the vehicle had the ability to cross patch the audio from any radio to any other radio. It also had digital / RTTY capability.

I spent many weeks across the 1985-1986 time period driving that truck around China Lake finding communications hot spots and preplanning deployment positions.

He was pretty serious about it. But after he rotated off base the next couple commanders did not have the same drive, and I think that comm truck went away in the early to mid 90’s.

Yeah. The canyons are going to be pretty dead for everything. Amateur, cellphone, public safety systems. I carry HF when I'm in those places. It's very reassuring to be hearing traffic on 40 meters when nothing else works.

Yeah, 40 works great for regional coverage. And 80 and 160 work surprisingly well for local coverage, getting over mountains and such pretty well. Both of my main off road vehicles have Tarheel 300A’s but I also have rolled up dipoles in each vehicle for 80 and 40.

Poison Canyon and Trona Cutoff should talk to El Paso Peak ok. I'll try it next time I'm up there. Trona Cutoff talks to Blueridge, Quartzite, and Rodman. Not spectacularly, but there IS coverage.

Naturally when talking about VHF/UHF coverage antenna and power level play into the issue. In most of my vehicles I run 50 to 100 Watts on 2M and 70cm, with typically a full sized 5/8 wave on 2M and some kind of collinear on 70cm.

Once you get past Wagon Wheel on the Trona Cutoff El Paso Peak essentially goes away, up to that point it is fine. From there on down to 178 you have spotty coverage into several machines. From the 178 intersection to the outlet of Poison Canyon it becomes very iffy into anything, you can find hot spots to several machines, but nothing really covers the route. I have never been able to raise EL Paso in Poison Canyon.

It's pretty apparent that there are gaps in coverage, especially on published repeater lists. But there are also several linked, private systems on several bands that could be used in an emergency situation that actually cover many of the places you mention.

The problem with linked, private systems is that, well, they are private. So often “other” operators do not know the PL or even, sometimes, that a system exists or how it is linked. And someone who does not use a system may not be aware of its coverage or that it is an option. While I am aware of several private systems in these areas I keep almost none of them programmed in the radios.

So, for me, if I chose to go into really remote desert areas, I have cellphones, VHF/UHF, and HF. I also carry (authorized) public safety radios. I wouldn't go into the desert without at least the first three. If I forget something, I'd want it to be the public safety radio.

Yeah, legal issues aside, the Public Safety radios seem to be the less useful in an emergency situation anyway for areas like this. For emergencies in really remote areas of the desert my number one tool is HF, cell is second, and VHF/UHF third. Less remote areas (meaning anyplace with cell coverage) then cell comes first, HF and VHF/UHF tied for second ;)

T!

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Guys, you are way off the original topic, so I've moved your posts to a new thread. You also seem to be going back and forth between amateur radio communications and other radio services. If this thread isn't about amateur radio, it really should be taken elsewhere.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Yeah, legal issues aside, the Public Safety radios seem to be the less useful in an emergency situation anyway for areas like this. For emergencies in really remote areas of the desert my number one tool is HF, cell is second, and VHF/UHF third. Less remote areas (meaning anyplace with cell coverage) then cell comes first, HF and VHF/UHF tied for second ;)

T!

In all of these situations, satellite phone would be primary for personal safety communications.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
How old was that document?

Mid-2000's, 2005 or 2006.

In the early-mid 1980’s the base commander was very interested in communications collaboration...

Since I haven't heard of an amateur repeater being deployed at that location, I can only assume that no one, club or individual had the resources to pursue that offer. Which is a shame. There are some very capable and talented amateurs in the China Lake area that could probably put something on the base that would serve a large area.

Yeah, 40 works great for regional coverage. And 80 and 160 work surprisingly well for local coverage, getting over mountains and such pretty well. Both of my main off road vehicles have Tarheel 300A’s but I also have rolled up dipoles in each vehicle for 80 and 40.

When you throw HF into the mix, there is simply no reason to have marginally legal (or illegal) public safety gear "just in case".

Naturally when talking about VHF/UHF coverage antenna and power level play into the issue. In most of my vehicles I run 50 to 100 Watts on 2M and 70cm, with typically a full sized 5/8 wave on 2M and some kind of collinear on 70cm.

I don't even bother with 2 meters. I have to go a LOOOOONG way out before UHF becomes completely dead.

Once you get past Wagon Wheel on the Trona Cutoff El Paso Peak essentially goes away, up to that point it is fine. From there on down to 178 you have spotty coverage into several machines. From the 178 intersection to the outlet of Poison Canyon it becomes very iffy into anything, you can find hot spots to several machines, but nothing really covers the route. I have never been able to raise EL Paso in Poison Canyon.

Ok. It is pretty deep and narrow. Pretty certain that there's no public safety coverage there, either, since El Paso would be the serving site.

The problem with linked, private systems is that, well, they are private. So often “other” operators do not know the PL or even, sometimes, that a system exists or how it is linked. And someone who does not use a system may not be aware of its coverage or that it is an option. While I am aware of several private systems in these areas I keep almost none of them programmed in the radios.

Yep. That can be a problem. It can be helpful to scan around the bands anf get familiar with what's heard in any given area. Finding a PL on an input is easy enough. I can't imagine anyone on one of those private systems getting their knickers knotted up if someone pops up on frequency with emergency traffic.

Yeah, legal issues aside, the Public Safety radios seem to be the less useful in an emergency situation anyway for areas like this. For emergencies in really remote areas of the desert my number one tool is HF, cell is second, and VHF/UHF third. Less remote areas (meaning anyplace with cell coverage) then cell comes first, HF and VHF/UHF tied for second.

You have found the ideal solution for your needs, that being HF. It's certainly going to be more expensive than modifying a ham rig to cover public safety frequencies (just in case", but it resolves the idiotic question once and for all!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Guys, you are way off the original topic, so I've moved your posts to a new thread. You also seem to be going back and forth between amateur radio communications and other radio services. If this thread isn't about amateur radio, it really should be taken elsewhere.

Yeah, conversations evolve. I think we're TRYING to keep it amateur radio involved. But when the topic starts out as yet another out-of-band-transmit thread, it's already on the ragged edge of needing to be elsewhere.

I think what's needed is a sticky thread where all posts regarding this subject could be placed. The topic doesn't seem to want to go away. Maybe a sticky is the way to keep the clutter down.

LtDoc

...sort of a 'You can't stop it', so keep all the 'junk' in one place thingy? Sounds good to me.
- 'Doc

dksac2

A very good post. I especially like the part of no excuses for out of band, besides, how many people will you find quickly out of band in an emergency.
Your chances of a decent contact always are better with a good antenna on your vehicle.
I have found using NMO antenna mount, properly installed on the roof, which involves drilling that 3/4" hole well worth it. I'm 2-S units better than with a mag mount .
The antenna I have chosen, the CA 4X4 by comet has been fantastic. It's very wide banded and has quite a bit of gain compared to most. It really talks and hears also. Make sure to run 8 ga. wire from your battery with a fuse on both wires. Voltage drop can really cut down on the power your radio will put out.
If you really want the best in VHF/UHF comms in your vehicle, a NMO mounted on top is by far your best choice. Be sure to remove rust and paint down to bare metal where the antenna mount locks down on the metal.
When you go to sell the car, a simple cap, painted the color of the car is hardly noticed.
It's good to hear your range and number of contacts in the desert have improved.

73's John KF7VXA

Status
Not open for further replies.