California Gets 26 New Disaster Support Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
http://cbs13.com/local/disaster.support.vehicles.2.689304.html

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― In California, earthquakes, floods and fires are a way of life. A new fleet of support vehicles is designed to make sure emergency responders aren't going to run out of supplies in a major disaster.

"Basically, this vehicle has everything you would need to stay out in the field and take care of your crews and the people who are injured," said David Kerschner, an AMR paramedic.

The state of California just acquired 26 of these trucks at a total cost of $2 million, paid for by the federal government's bioterrorism preparedness grant. The vehicles carry a large supply of trauma supplies, as well as items like blankets.

"The need was recognized following the attack on 9/11, and also during Hurricane Katrina," said Jeffrey Rubin, division chief of the state's Emergency Medical Services authority, which partnered with American Medical Response on the project.

The 26 trucks are now strategically placed around the state. Locally, we have one in West Sacramento, Placer County, and the San Joaquin Valley.

key2_altfire

They look like cargo vans stuffed with a few boxes of supplies. I wonder if this would really be of any help in a large-scale disaster? It looks like a setup that someone would privately own in their own home or SUV, except smaller quantities.

trooperdude

Database Admin
Santa Clara Co. refused theirs because of all the strings attached in the MOU
with the state.

Went with trailers full of equipment instead of trucks, paid with a separate Fed Grant.

That way anything with a hitch can pull it.:D

swstow

Premium Subscriber
yes key 2 the vans will be very usefull, i work for the company thats doing the emergency lighting on them here in cincinnati,oh they are well stocked,and having lived in florida i see the need esp after a hurricane or twister

Status
Not open for further replies.