California Highway Patrol being heard in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
In the late 1970's I was in Seattle and arranged for a tour of their fire boat station. SFD was on UHF, but still had some 33 MHz channels. In the wheel house of the boat was an old GE low band radio on 33.70MHz. I commented to the captain that LAFD used that frequency for dispatch. He said, "Oh yeah, I talk to them sometimes." Not much use of PL in those days. We also used to get strong signals from the East Coast on our local sheriff's low band frequency.

As solar conditions improve we'll see a lot more of this (I hope). Six meters has been open lately.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
33.70 was a big western pa fire dispatch channel for 4 counties.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I'm in New York and back in the Day, I would routinely listen to the CHP with my BC210 in my truck using a 5/8 wave VHF Motorola antenna.
A few (maybe 8-9 now) years ago, I heard CHP in Quincy, MA. Growing up in the early 80s, they were common in western Mass.

theoleman

Thursday morning (1100 CDT), CHP Brown2, Tan, Purple, Turquoise were received in Coleman County TX for a couple of hours. Antenna is a 6 meter laird mobile.
The beauty of this location is scant trees, no power lines and nil cell phone towers!

Status
Not open for further replies.