California Noob Needing Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parke10

Hello everyone, first ill just say as an active user of many other forums, ill try to search as much as possible so i dont re ask questions that are probably asked weekly as i know how annoying that can be..

Im here in search for some advice on buying a scanner, im pretty sure im gonna go handheld, and i have been thinking about buying a uniden, i have used a few before and i really like them, so unless i am told something i dont know about them , that is what my mind is set on

im the kind of guy who likes to buy the one with all the features possible when it comes to anything, so i have realized that might not be my best choice when it comes to scanners..

So can anyone shoot me in the right direction..?

oh and it will be used 99% of the time to just listen into emergency services (ems,police,fire,etc)
other 1% will be listening to my bosses in car radio at the race track a couple times a year.

If location matters for any reason on choosing a scanner im located in Bakersfield,Ca (Kern County)

Thanks to anyone who can help out. im off to do some searching :)

Parke10

Thought i also might add that i would prob listen to the weather band every now n then,

and ill will be using the scanner in my truck probably 70% of the time/20% in my house/10% mobile, but say in someone elses vehicle.

Thanks again everyone.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!! Don't be afraid to ask us all here for information, help or whatever. I know you said you were thinking of a Uniden, but that's not going to stop me from putting in my $0.02.

Some people say "if you want features, buy a Uniden. If you want performance, buy GRE". So unless you NEED one of those features that only a Uniden can give you, I strongly suggest this scanner: PSR-300 - The RadioReference Wiki

Now if money is no object, then the PSR-500 digital scanner would be nice. Your area does not have much digital yet, and the cost is a lot more (twice as much), so that's why I am suggesting the analog model, PSR-300.

colby4601

BCD396XT or the BCD996XT.

BCD996XT is the newest digital scanner on the market.

Brebuck

I love my uniden bcd396xt, a handheld versiono f the 996xt, it's loaded with features but is pricey at $500 (online). It's easily programmable with Freescan software.

Eng74

Are you staying on the west side or do you get out onto the desert? Edwards AFB is digital, if you go down the Grapevine into LA you can use digital too. It all is how much you want to spend. Uniden's Fire Tone Out works great with KCFD. If you don't want to spend the money on digital now the Uniden 346 works great and so will the GRE PSR- 300/ Radio Shack Pro-164.

Parke10

Are you staying on the west side or do you get out onto the desert? Edwards AFB is digital, if you go down the Grapevine into LA you can use digital too. It all is how much you want to spend. Uniden's Fire Tone Out works great with KCFD. If you don't want to spend the money on digital now the Uniden 346 works great and so will the GRE PSR- 300/ Radio Shack Pro-164.

I stay in town most the time,hardly ever go to the desert. but i do every once ina while..same with LA. most my time is spent in town or over in the central coast area..

and its good to see a fellow kern county member :)

as of right now, im leaning towards the BCD396XT.. it looks nice, with the PSR-500 as ,my 2nd choice

Status
Not open for further replies.