California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

kj6psg

I wouldn’t speculate until we see build-out plans and maybe, then, not until peer lists start to appear and we can unpack the spider web.
Why wait? We could at least take a whack at the possibilities now, so we know what we should be expecting when new information arrives. Coverage isn't going to change on a per-site basis, and it's the best indicator of where a site might be. Site lists have proven unreliable lately.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Why wait? We could at least take a whack at the possibilities now, so we know what we should be expecting when new information arrives. Coverage isn't going to change on a per-site basis, and it's the best indicator of where a site might be. Site lists have proven unreliable lately.

Yup - this is absolutely the speculation stage of this project now for us. Waiting for system maps or inside info is what takes the joy out of this hobby and makes it simply a boring utility. Those of us doing this for a while have a good understanding of what our listening capabilities are, and what characteristics of distant sites do, where they typically lie in the noise floor or a distinct multi-path to the signal etc. Heck just for the 4 tones in my Calfire unit I can tell which mountain top is being used simply by the signal strength and noise level in the signal. Knowing that, and finding a new signal with similar characteristics can absolutely get us closer to unpacking the spider web. Save the gate-keeping and inflexible rigidity to The Database, and let the forums breathe.

And on that note, are any sites advertising peers yet? My three on the northern end aren't.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
You could also do like I did and take a drive to the suspected site(s).

While I was in California last week site 1 was showing 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 as peers. I didn't check any of the others since I was focusing more on the northern and bay area sites, they were not showing peers.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
Site 27 - tech testing clear and encrypted on TGID 147, 148 and 139. One transmission included ‘testing on Oat’ - so I think we can now make a safe assumption about where THAT site is located. 8*)

Of course, that also means they‘ve moved beyond the Central Valley...

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Of course, that also means they‘ve moved beyond the Central Valley...
We knew they were installing sites in the bay area and LA/Ventura/Orange areas as part of phase 2. It was my thinking based on the APCO meeting video that they were going to do the bay area first and then the LA/Ventura/Orange area but it looks like they are doing LA/Ventura/Orange first.

It sure would be nice if they made a LA/Ventura/Orange site map available online like they have for all the other areas ;-)

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Happy Friday All,
ran SDRTrunk for site#4 and i got a lot of "registers" -

"accept location registration - group 301"
"accept affilitiongroup 427 (local) announcement group 0"
group call - phase 2 channel grant
"accept unit registration - unit 7297"

I did not hear any voice comms today, but i will run DSD+ jsut for giggles and see what info it gives. I also have my Unication G5 on hte control channel and i got a flashing "site trunking". I do not know what that is since it is the frist time I have seen this on my G5, but then I'm not sure if I have my G5 set up correctly. A lot of moving parts to program the G5.

N6ML

I also have my Unication G5 on hte control channel and i got a flashing "site trunking". I do not know what that is since it is the frist time I have seen this on my G5, but then I'm not sure if I have my G5 set up correctly.

(as I understand it) "Site trunking" means that the site is operating independently from the rest of the system. Under normal circumstances, this would only happen when it loses network connectivity, as a fallback mechanism to allow users on that site to communicate with eachother, but not with users on other sites, networked dispatch consoles, etc. Radios (including the G5) can detect when a site is in this mode, and choose to use a different site (if one is available) instead.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
interesting, when i run DSD+, my site (#4) shows it's neighbors, but DSD+ says "info outdated" for each neighbor? Does anyone know if this is a DSD+ issue or a Site 4 issue?

N6ML

interesting, when i run DSD+, my site (#4) shows it's neighbors, but DSD+ says "info outdated" for each neighbor? Does anyone know if this is a DSD+ issue or a Site 4 issue?

I don't know DSD+ real well, but outdated neighbour info sounds like something that could happen when a site loses connectivity with the rest of the system, and you said that your G5 is showing it in Site Trunking mode.......

vince48

Premium Subscriber
yes, that makes sense. My G5 beeped several times this morning, then showing the flashing "site trunking". Never did that before.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that site 10 and 11 were showing site trunking on my Unication while I was up in that area last week.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
From what we are seeing active I'm guessing they swapped Phase 2 Bay Area for Phase 3. I'm also guessing they added Mt Vaca to Phase 2 North Valley and perhaps will do Bald Mtn - Yolo in Phase 2 Bay Area, if at all.

N6ML

More testing going on in the Merced area this morning. Definitely sounds like CHP, from bits and pieces of the conversation (CHP was specifically mentioned, and they also mentioned that they're testing on "the blue channel").

dhalbasch

Premium Subscriber
I've been commuting from the Bay Area to LA and Placentia the past six weeks and have watched a 120' to 150' radio tower being constructed on the west side of I-5 over the Grape Vine. It's just north of the Angeles Forest north boundary. Tower now looks completed but haven't noticed any radio vaults onsite just yet, no antenna's as well. I've been wondering if this could be part of the system.

Dennis

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
More testing going on in the Merced area this morning. Definitely sounds like CHP, from bits and pieces of the conversation (CHP was specifically mentioned, and they also mentioned that they're testing on "the blue channel").
Testing on the blue channel as in that's the name of the talk group you were monitoring (and if so what was the TGID) or more like they were on CRIS AND the (low band) blue?

I would not be surprised to see interconnections between CRIS and existing channels like the low band blue so it's possible the talk group you were hearing will be the talk group for that connection.