California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
On Monterey county's 700/VHf system TG 4027
So, so far I am now aware of a CHP low band "patch" on the Solano P25 TRS and Monterey P25 TRS. Is anyone aware of any others? I know Placer had one up while they were testing that system but I don't believe it's still up. This could all be part of the CRIS "system of systems"

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
So, so far I am now aware of a CHP low band "patch" on the Solano P25 TRS and Monterey P25 TRS. Is anyone aware of any others? I know Placer had one up while they were testing that system but I don't believe it's still up. This could all be part of the CRIS "system of systems"

I'm sure there are more but that would be "off-topic" for here...

Regards,

-Frank C.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
TG 301 was referred to as TAC COM COPPER by RID 3001 at 12:56:30 on 6/8/21

Regards,

-Frank C.
Just checking, are you sure it was TAC COM and not CAPSCOM?? I had a note on this talkgroup as possibly being CAP COM but CAPSCOM as in California Public Safety Radio Communications would make more sense.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there are more but that would be "off-topic" for here...

Regards,

-Frank C.
So has it been decided to only talk about the 700 MHz P25 trunking system and not the overall CRIS? If so I'll go somewhere else.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
So has it been decided to only talk about the 700 MHz P25 trunking system and not the overall CRIS? If so I'll go somewhere else.

I thought this was a" CRIS ONLY" thread...Talking about other systems in relation to CRIS is okay but talking about those systems individually takes away from the thread...And yes, CAP COM COPPER was what I heard.

Regards,

-Frank C.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I thought this was a" CRIS ONLY" thread...Talking about other systems in relation to CRIS is okay but talking about those systems individually takes away from the thread...And yes, CAP COM COPPER was what I heard.

Regards,

-Frank C.
What I'm trying to figure out is if the CHP channels are being "patched" to other P25 systems via an ISSI with the CRIS core.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This is my theory and it's only a theory until we can gather more information.

Most if not all of the radio traffic from state agencies is now being taken from the state microwave system and ingested into the Motorola M core, this core is the CRIS. From that core (which is basically a server) the radio traffic can be sent via VoIP, RoIP, ISSI and probably a few other things to anyplace they want (system of systems), as long as they have a connection. This may be why we are seeing CHP talk groups showing up on other P25 systems. The actual CRIS is MUCH larger than just a 700 MHz P25 trunking system.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Moderators, this should be made a sticky thread. This is going to be a long term discussion as this system is built and evolves. Given that it is a statewide system that no one seems to know what it will be when it grows up, I suspect this discussion could last a minimum of 10 years. When sticky threads are created they become a one stop shopping arrangement. The number of new threads created for this system will be minimized and those are usually merged into the sticky by moderators. The big advantage is we don't have to keep up with every thread that discuss aspects of this system. It works well in many similar situations.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
This is my theory and it's only a theory until we can gather more information.

Most if not all of the radio traffic from state agencies is now being taken from the state microwave system and ingested into the Motorola M core, this core is the CRIS. From that core (which is basically a server) the radio traffic can be sent via VoIP, RoIP, ISSI and probably a few other things to anyplace they want (system of systems), as long as they have a connection. This may be why we are seeing CHP talk groups showing up on other P25 systems. The actual CRIS is MUCH larger than just a 700 MHz P25 trunking system.
Sounds like a decent thought as that's what the cores are meant for. They're probably more than likely sent over VoIP as primary.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Moderators, this should be made a sticky thread. This is going to be a long term discussion as this system is built and evolves. Given that it is a statewide system that no one seems to know what it will be when it grows up, I suspect this discussion could last a minimum of 10 years. When sticky threads are created they become a one stop shopping arrangement. The number of new threads created for this system will be minimized and those are usually merged into the sticky by moderators. The big advantage is we don't have to keep up with every thread that discuss aspects of this system. It works well in many similar situations.

I second this. Perhaps @LAflyer can do that!?

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber

I second this. Perhaps @LAflyer can do that!?

Regards,

-Frank C.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I was doing some RF hunting in western El Dorado County this afternoon. As I was driving, I had CRIS Sites 1 and 7 in my mobile amongst some other stuff, and was hearing the 861 CHP Gold traffic, but what caught my attention was a "pure" P25 voice on 861 at one point. I only caught the tail-end, but the P25 radio said "Thanks dispatch". I wasn't able to catch a radio ID while driving.

My guess was an OES tech doing a radio check, or there's some actual CHP field units using the system.

Also 861 was coming in on Site 1, in addition to Site 7 as I mentioned earlier.

KG7PBS

I was doing some RF hunting in western El Dorado County this afternoon. As I was driving, I had CRIS Sites 1 and 7 in my mobile amongst some other stuff, and was hearing the 861 CHP Gold traffic, but what caught my attention was a "pure" P25 voice on 861 at one point. I only caught the tail-end, but the P25 radio said "Thanks dispatch". I wasn't able to catch a radio ID while driving.

My guess was an OES tech doing a radio check, or there's some actual CHP field units using the system.

No real CHP field units on the CIRS yet. the true P-25 you were hearing was the DCs talking.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Talkgroup 861 sees a LOT of 0x2b Joins from 11000 series subscribers. Site 18 example from the last 12 hours or so. No channel grants at all.

Annotation 2021-06-09 053701.png

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroup 861 sees a LOT of 0x2b Joins from 11000 series subscribers. Site 18 example from the last 12 hours or so. No channel grants at all.

View attachment 104790
Not sure if this is what's happening here or not but some radios can be set to "ping" the system at a set interval. The school emergency radios here are set to do this. If the radios encounter an issue with the "ping" they will audibly alert the user to the problem that way they are sure the radio is properly connected to the system.

Attachments

• 31 SCHOOL.png
    31 SCHOOL.png
    412.2 KB · Views: 19

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber

No real CHP field units on the CIRS yet. the true P-25 you were hearing was the DCs talking.

I do know E320/DCD20??* asked the GOLD Dispatcher yesterday afternoon if they could have the channel for a minute and did a radio check with 46-D4...So *THEY MIGHT have a unit or two with CRIS radios for system testing outside the radio techs. This was after I shut down my DSD+ for the day...

*I first heard this unit around 14:31:57 on 6/8/21 if anyone has recordings from that time...He and dispatch were a rough copy at the time for me because of my location, hence the ?? next to the unit ID above.

Regards,

-Frank C.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I do know E320/DCD20??* asked the GOLD Dispatcher yesterday afternoon if they could have the channel for a minute and did a radio check with 46-D4...So *THEY MIGHT have a unit or two with CRIS radios for system testing outside the radio techs.

I guess one big question is whether all the talk on "Gold" on CRIS is also being heard on the lowband side?