California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I will try another day as we are now listening to radio traffic following a 5.9 earthquake in the north end of the county.

Oh but dontcha know...That was in "Nevada" despite USGS saying otherwise... ;) Okay enough OT there...

Regards,

-Frank C.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Oh but dontcha know...That was in "Nevada" despite USGS saying otherwise... ;) Okay enough OT there...

Regards,

-Frank C.

I had the same reaction, "how about Walker, California" or 2-3 kilometers northwest of Walker. In their defense, as I used to work with the USGS closely, Smith Valley is very close to the California state line. It might have something to do with the closest seismograph. Down south in the land of ancient elephants we are in the second most geological instrumented place in the U.S., the Long Valley Caldera. The number one location is Parkfield, CA. At least that's what I was told in the 1990's when a little incident changed my career and I was working with the USGS nearly weekly from there until I retired. It sure stretched my 3 units of Geology taken at Long Beach State in 1970 all over the map. I adapted and learned. I loved working with the USGS, some very fine people.

kj6psg

On the Lukens site, heard some Phase 2 open mic from RID 1046 on talkgroup 251 today around 2:30 PM. They registered to the system and affiliated to the talkgroup within one second of the first transmission, and have not (yet) deregistered.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I had the same reaction, "how about Walker, California" or 2-3 kilometers northwest of Walker. In their defense, as I used to work with the USGS closely, Smith Valley is very close to the California state line. It might have something to do with the closest seismograph. Down south in the land of ancient elephants we are in the second most geological instrumented place in the U.S., the Long Valley Caldera. The number one location is Parkfield, CA. At least that's what I was told in the 1990's when a little incident changed my career and I was working with the USGS nearly weekly from there until I retired. It sure stretched my 3 units of Geology taken at Long Beach State in 1970 all over the map. I adapted and learned. I loved working with the USGS, some very fine people.
Yeah...Tricky locations for sure! Between that 5.9 and the 4.8 outside of Farmington today, Shake and Bake California has been active!

Regards,

-Frank C.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Yeah...Tricky locations for sure! Between that 5.9 and the 4.8 outside of Farmington today, Shake and Bake California has been active!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Strength revised upward to a 6.0 and is now listed as SE of Markleeville, CA. The USGS heard you!

I didn't expect to listen for the CRIS in Mono County for a number of years, not a number of months. I'm glad I've been following this thread. Thanks to all who have been providing info. It might be my turn at some point here.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Strength revised upward to a 6.0 and is now listed as SE of Markleeville, CA. The USGS heard you!

I didn't expect to listen for the CRIS in Mono County for a number of years, not a number of months. I'm glad I've been following this thread. Thanks to all who have been providing info. It might be my turn at some point here.
Well, they generally go with the *initial reports* off the seismographs..In this case, Smith Valley, NV picked it up first but it was definitely more centered towards Markleeville based on who and where felt it in the rest of the state...

No time like the present during a natural event to listen to a new system being tested!

Regards,

-Frank C.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
No time like the present during a natural event to listen to a new system being tested!
I was thinking the same thing. Did anyone hear anything earthquake related on CRIS? On that note, anyone hearing anything wildfire related?

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Site 18 appears to be down / offline. Can anyone confirm?

div3405

Feed Provider
Several years ago, I advised the California Group that there will be a new radio system for state public safety in the future. I was laughed at because the document I showed them was over ten years old. I realized that it takes time to get anything done through the political system.

I am happy to report that a portion of the system is already installed within San Joaquin Valley from Sacramento to Bakersfield. They are testing the system before continuing. Go to the site for more information and updates:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Pinned thread above yours:

That just looks like RID570 was accepted on the system...You'd see TG1 and more next to it if it actually keyed up. ;)

Regards,

-Frank C.
I uploaded the wrong screen grab

P25, BEE00.9D2, 1, 50, Normal, 1, 2021/07/14 14:52, ""
P25, BEE00.9D2, 15, 50, Normal, 0, 2021/07/14 14:00, ""
P25, BEE00.9D2, 139, 50, Normal, 7, 2021/04/30 15:08, ""
P25, BEE00.9D2, 506, 50, Normal, 0, 2021/07/14 10:35, ""
P25, BEE00.9D2, 861, 50, Normal, 0, 0000/00/00 0:00, ""

2 slot frequencies
Channel 3-2008: 774.55625-1 VOICE
Channel 3-2009: 774.55625-2 VOICE

Attachments

• site 36 TG 1.png
    site 36 TG 1.png
    791.2 KB · Views: 18

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Several years ago, I advised the California Group that there will be a new radio system for state public safety in the future. I was laughed at because the document I showed them was over ten years old. I realized that it takes time to get anything done through the political system.

I am happy to report that a portion of the system is already installed within San Joaquin Valley from Sacramento to Bakersfield. They are testing the system before continuing. Go to the site for more information and updates:

This is kind of satisfying isn't it?

I made a prediction, a warning, about a major policy change made by the U.S. Forest Service that I voiced several times around 1984 to 1995. It predicted a sort of horror show. People thought I was nuts. Last summer that horror show actually developed. I hated to see this happen and get worse every years since I retired in 1999. When it developed I had to be at least a little satisfied to see I was correct. I made another to an audience of 2 while giving a mucky, muck tour around 1993 about the management of a particular area. That prediction came to pass last summer also and continues this summer as well. The solution would be incredibly tough to implement and the agency no longer has the staff, corporate memory or expertise to do it.

I didn't have any documents to cite for my predictions, just my "boots on the ground" "field sense" intuition.

Like I said, kinda satisfying.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

What is your take on what this system will ultimately be? Some folks on the other thread have stated it will replace all systems and be a one system, do all, radio system like some states have now, these being states with a much lower population. I don't think so, the website states is will allow interface with and between "similar systems." I think it will be for mutual aid only during incidents involving multiple jurisdictions, but others disagree.