California statewide P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Just finished reading Dan Veeneman's Scanning America column in the August issue of Spectrum Monitor in which he states "at least 37 U.S. states have a statewide P25 network, including California, Florida, New York and Texas."

Am I missing something? I'm not aware CA has such.

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
Many months ago (if I have time, I'll search back & confirm when), NAPCO's Frequency Log showed a license for Fresno, County of (iirc) for 2 frequencies. 453.3125 & 458.3125. It was listed as "Statewide Mutual Aid". Turns out, the same frequencies appear in FCC ULS searches for Tulare, Kings, & Madera Counties. I have been residing in Visalia on & off for the past 2 years & have monitored 453.3125 intermittently with full time encryption. Until recently, I didn't have even a P25 Phase 1 scanner. I have since acquired a PRO-106 & haven't heard a peep. (Of course!). Wondering if this might be related.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't know who this Dan Veeneman fella is, but he missed the mark with that article if he's using California, Florida, and New York as examples.

Neither California nor New York have anything that could remotely be considered a "Statewide P25 network".

It seems that areas of California have enough trouble building out countywide systems, much less anything of the statewide magnitude.

New York jerked around with OpenSky a decade ago before quickly realizing it was awful, and they never pursued any form of statewide system beyond that. Instead they formed a bunch of regional interop consortiums and encourage the counties to build out their own P25 systems with ISSI connections where appropriate.

Florida's system only covers a handful of counties, and is currently in the process of being taken over by Motorola after the state dumped Harris. It's a handful of sites with a handful of talkgroups, mostly for aircraft at this point, nowhere near the size and scope of their EDACS system.

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
My last post was for reference only. I concur with GTR8000. Unfortunately, I am a minion of the "Great State of California" (LOL!), therefore, I am keenly aware that as an alleged "government", I seriously cannot comprehend how anything gets accomplished. Too much politics and way too many "empire-builders"! Sorry, rant over. I promise to shut up.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Many months ago (if I have time, I'll search back & confirm when), NAPCO's Frequency Log showed a license for Fresno, County of (iirc) for 2 frequencies. 453.3125 & 458.3125. It was listed as "Statewide Mutual Aid". Turns out, the same frequencies appear in FCC ULS searches for Tulare, Kings, & Madera Counties. I have been residing in Visalia on & off for the past 2 years & have monitored 453.3125 intermittently with full time encryption. Until recently, I didn't have even a P25 Phase 1 scanner. I have since acquired a PRO-106 & haven't heard a peep. (Of course!). Wondering if this might be related.

that’s KCSO SWAT and they tend to operate in simplex/direct mode, in analog.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
@JeffDS3

Absolutely NOT being argumentative, just attempting to learn & understand: so I'll throw this in-

Ok?? They have 3 channels for SWAT ops and I’ve heard them on all 3 but unless they HAVE to use a repeater, they use simplex/direct or cell phones. They don’t activate that often and also being VERY low power when they do, you won’t hear them a lot. The only time I hear them is when I just happen to stumble by an operation and I’m almost on top of them.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
At the same time I originated this thread I sent an email to Mr. Veeneman including "You refer to a "statewide P25 network" in CA. I"m not aware of such. Could you enlighten?"

Thus far no reply. If I get one, I'll share.

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
@JeffDS3 Copy that. Like I said, just throwing it out there. Unfortunately, I'm constantly between Atascadero & Visalia. I can monitor most Kings County stuff (repeaters) from Visalia, but, of course, I have absolutely no real knowledge of their systems other than what can be monitored from the middle of Visalia. The only real Kings County stuff I tend to monitor is what I might hear as I pass through while en route east or west. I have way too much time on my hands lately, & have done some pretty deep FCC database searches and, frankly, when I look at Kings County licences, I know I'm not quite "getting" the big picture. I would like to have more of an understanding because I'm going to be in Visalia for at least the next three months recuperating from surgery. YAY!:confused:

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
@JeffDS3 Copy that. Like I said, just throwing it out there. Unfortunately, I'm constantly between Atascadero & Visalia. I can monitor most Kings County stuff (repeaters) from Visalia, but, of course, I have absolutely no real knowledge of their systems other than what can be monitored from the middle of Visalia. The only real Kings County stuff I tend to monitor is what I might hear as I pass through while en route east or west. I have way too much time on my hands lately, & have done some pretty deep FCC database searches and, frankly, when I look at Kings County licences, I know I'm not quite "getting" the big picture. I would like to have more of an understanding because I'm going to be in Visalia for at least the next three months recuperating from surgery. YAY!:confused:

Outside the SWAT stuff, anything worth listening to in the database already. I’ve tried punching in everything from the FCC database into my scanners and got nothing new. If it’s in the FCC listings but not on here, it’s usually command and control stuff. I haven’t heard any audio (analog or digital) on anything not on RR.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
California is in the process of building out a statewide 700 MHz system in the State License portion of the band. Therefore, there will NOT be site-specific licenses that can be used to deduce the locations and channels.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
California is in the process of building out a statewide 700 MHz system in the State License portion of the band. Therefore, there will NOT be site-specific licenses that can be used to deduce the locations and channels.

where did you hear this?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Most of the 700 MHz SL usage in California consists of conventional sites for various agencies like CHP, CSP, and DOT, or for vehicular repeaters like the CHP primarily uses.

The state is planning a 6 site non-simulcast trunked system that will cover the San Joaquin Valley between Bakersfield and Sacramento. That can hardly be considered a "statewide" system. :cautious:

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Most of the 700 MHz SL usage in California consists of conventional sites for various agencies like CHP, CSP, and DOT, or for vehicular repeaters like the CHP primarily uses.

The state is planning a 6 site non-simulcast trunked system that will cover the San Joaquin Valley between Bakersfield and Sacramento. That can hardly be considered a "statewide" system. :cautious:

so what would be the nature of this system? I don’t see CALFIRE leaving VHF anytime soon.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
so what would be the nature of this system? I don’t see CALFIRE leaving VHF anytime soon.
I know only what the state reported to the FCC in their final notification for WPTZ774 two months ago. They are calling the system the California Radio Interagency System (CRIS) and claim that installation will begin next year.

The document attached to the application gives a pretty good overview of their usage of the state allocation of 700 MHz frequencies. Most of them, as noted above, are for conventional usage and not trunking.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like they are just reorganizing their system a bit. I’m surprised they haven’t decided to go full on statewide system by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.