California U.S. Forest Service Wiki Pages Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I don't intend to bug rssmith7799 too much with this count of R5 forests calling it Service Net in their documents, but it is important from this standpoint. I hope he can influence the Los Padres to drop the "Fire Camp" from the name of their Service Net frequency listing.

I've been going through a lot of documents for each forest researching fire station locations. Some of those documents include the frequency group plan for the forest. The Stanislaus and the Tahoe show their Service Net as just "Service Net." The count is now 12 of 15 forests calling it this or 80% doing so. The Los Padres, Modoc and Six Rivers make up the remaining 20%. There are 3 remaining forests (R5 has 18, including the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit) that don't have a Service Net, don't show it in the R5 Frequency Guide or I don't have frequency group plans for.

EDIT: It seems like this "Fire Camp" thing is just a tradition thing and I know how hard it is to change things like that. When I see it influencing thinks I usually get the song "Tradition" from the play, "Fiddler On the Roof" strumming in my mind.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
A comment on the listings for Los Padres:
The text mentions channels 3 and 4 as 170.475 and 172.350 - these are obsolete and have been for some time.
The table of frequencies is correct, however.
No mention is made of the link repeaters on Santa Ynez.
The list of fire stations is incomplete.

In general I appreciate all the efforts that went into this project. Thank you.

The table listing fire stations on the Los Padres is now complete. I'm going to try to do some spacing edits to make it look better, but the substance is all correct per the 2021 unit radio identifier document I have.

I'm moving quite slowly on building the station/engine tables as writing anything to the wiki is cumbersome, especially when tables are involved. I have time to do one or two tables per day, sometimes less. I hate to break it to people, there are other things in life besides radio!

The table listing fire stations on the Los Padres is now complete. I'm going to try to do some spacing edits to make it look better, but the substance is all correct per the 2021 unit radio identifier document I have.

I'm moving quite slowly on building the station/engine tables as writing anything to the wiki is cumbersome, especially when tables are involved. I have time to do one or two tables per day, sometimes less. I hate to break it to people, there are other things in life besides radio!

LPF got a grant to rebuild the Nacimiento station

tkenny53

I attached a screen shot of my program for Angeles.
This is from the Angeles radio HT. The unit I had is 16 channels.
Also some radios also have LACo Tach 13-D as well

Attachments

• AngelesForest.JPG
    AngelesForest.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 88

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Woah woah woah, what kind of blasphemy is that?! :p

Thanks for passing your knowledge along over the years, and time spent learning the wiki...it looks good!

I've been helping my wife through her recovery from knee replacement surgery. I am honest when I say this, I haven't done anything more satisfying for a bunch of years. As I age I take her less for granted and enjoy my time with her. That is one reason I'm going as slow as I am. That and the stupid f&^%$*@ wiki method of writing, especially the tables is not what I'd call efficient.

LPF got a grant to rebuild the Nacimiento station

When I see the station show up again on the latest list I will include it. I thought they would opt for making Brazil Ranch permanent as Nacimiento is such a mouthful to pronounce! 😉

I just finished the station table for the Shasta-T today, it was rather involved. That leaves the Sierra, Six Rivers, Stanislaus and Tahoe left to do. Of course, if I could construct the tables in Word I would have finished long ago. I suppose that is blasphemy for the wiki gods and techy types who love the wiki!

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I attached a screen shot of my program for Angeles.
This is from the Angeles radio HT. The unit I had is 16 channels.
Also some radios also have LACo Tach 13-D as well

ch7 is maybe 168.2 instead of 162.2 ... just for the record

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I've now completed all the station listings from the Angeles to the Six Rivers. This means I only have the Stanislaus and Tahoe National Forests left. I'm not sure when I will finish, but should be within a few days or a week, depending on when I get time. I may go back and make some improvements on some of those I've finished, now that I've worked with the wiki a little bit more. This will be for clarity and readability purposes.

Any comments and questions are welcome. I haven't bitten off any heads for a decade or two now!

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
168.2000 and 162.2000 are represented as frequencies, not tones. Therefore showing 162.2000 is an error. The page shown is really tough to understand so I can see how you mixed up tones and frequencies.
Doh! For some reason, I just had tunnel-vision that it was a tone and didn't look at it, or I might have seen it. Sorry, y'all. :oops:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I finished all the tables this morning. I hope to not see a wiki table again!! I might be cleaning up a thing or two at some point in the future, but for now, I have other things in life that need doing.

I will clean up any mistakes I've made and respond to comments, of course.😁

spladiv

Premium Subscriber
As I commented earlier and elsewhere---unless it's changed since the mid 1980's, Santa Ynez is also UHF linked to Tassajera (near San Luis Obispo) and that controls the VHS system up there and on the Monterey District.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
As I commented earlier and elsewhere---unless it's changed since the mid 1980's, Santa Ynez is also UHF linked to Tassajera (near San Luis Obispo) and that controls the VHS system up there and on the Monterey District.

A friend of mine currently works for the Forest Service and he emailed the Los Padres NF radio tech about their system. This sometime in the last 3 years. The tech stated that all repeaters are controlled from one remote base on Santa Ynez, including all repeaters on the Monterey District. That is remarkable considering the distances and topography involved until you realize that the line of site for the Monterey repeaters are over the ocean. I was north of Morro Bay and south of Cambria once and picked up the Palos Verdes PD on a Regency crystal scanner in my pickup. I had a 1/2 wave VHF high mobile on the roof. It really surprised me until I looked at the path, which was over ocean. This would help the remote on Santa Ynez quite a bit.

spladiv

Premium Subscriber
I took a short trip and on Tuesday 8/9/2022 we went through the Santa Ynez valley. The Los Prietos (Santa Barbara area-in the Santa Ynez Valley) District Ranger station had 2 UHF Yagis on it aimed at Santa Ynez. I couldn't see any other antennaes but withut driving right in the driveway after hours I couldn't get a better view. The Santa Maria station (Santa Lucia District) had/has the same arrangement, I haven't been by there recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.