Call for amateur radio volunteers: 2012 POCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd like to call everyone's attention to an item that appeared in the December 2011 ARRL Indiana Section newsletter.

=============

ANNUAL PURDUE OUTING CLUB ADVENTURE RACE RADIO SUPPORT

We will again provide amateur radio communications for the Purdue Outing Club Adventure Race (POCAR Purdue Outing Club - POCAR ). POCAR is an orienteering event that will cover nearly fifty miles of hilly wooded terrain to map and locate forty or more secret checkpoints. This time, the event will be held on January 14th, 15th and 16th 2012 in the Hickory Ridge area of the Hoosier National Forest [south of Monroe Reservoir and east of SR 446]. This is the Saturday through Monday of the Martin Luther King holiday, a long weekend for many of us.

Much of the setup will begin on Friday before the event. We need a few volunteers that enjoy camping, hiking, roving, and practicing emcomm style communications during the harsh Indiana winter. We will use 6 meter fm simplex primarily with 2 meters as a backup. Participation requires that you provide your own radio equipment, camping accommodations, food, transportation and source of heat, be it firewood or gas. This activity provides an opportunity to operate your radio equipment from your automobile, backpack or to act as a net controller, outpost radio operator, or all of the above!

If you are interested in participating, contact Jan Eberle W9EB one of the following ways:
w9eb@arrl.net or (765)494-3797 daytime office phone.

============

I worked this event last year and I'm making plans again for this year. The event is a real challenge. Wintry conditions, remote territory, unfamiliar communications (many of us don't do much 6m FM simplex). Eb didn't mention it, but we are also going to try some APRS this year hopefully with the help of a temporary digipeater or two.

A few of us are "all-in" for this event and will be down there the entire weekend. But, if you only have a day or a few hours available, I'm sure Eb can find an assignment for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.