Call signs and trunk systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmoz

I was curious so I looked up a freq that is associated with a trunking system I listen to in the FCC database. I found the call sign associated to the freq and looked at all the freqs under it. To my surprise not all the freqs I use to listen to the system were listed. I matched them up and found a freq not listed and I looked it up. It was linked to another call sign which contained the rest of the freqs in the system. Also under both call signs there were freqs I had not seen before. They were not listed in the database here and I have never seen them while doing control channel only trunking. I was wondering why there is two call signs involved in one trunking system and what are the extra freqs listed under those call signs. Is it for redundancy or something else?

Thanks,
Frank

Oh the site I listne to is http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=3001

SCPD

QRT
Are the callsigns assigned to the same licensee? It could be a shared system that has licensed to several agencies. Also there are national mutual aid frequencies in the 800 MHz band that are used for mutual aid only and rarely used. See NPSPAC Channels.

Gmoz

Yes they are both licensed by the city, and yes there are multiple agencies useing the system. The local PD, County SO, Public Works, Jail, and many more.

fineshot1

Its possible there were frequencies added to the trunk system at a later date when they determined they needed to expand the channel resources due to bringing onto the system more depts and users.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Frank,

I wonder if you may be including the input freqs to the CC's. I.e., 811.3125 input for 856.3125 output etc? Five of each are listed in FCC DB for callsign WNLK950.

In your RRdatabase link for Fayetteville, click on the Primary button next to the frequencies. Thien click on WNLK950, which will send you to a map of the tower. Hybrid view will give you a very nice *drive-by* view.

Gmoz

FMon.
That is how I got the info in the first place by going to the tower page and then going to the FCC website and searching. I am sure that it is the input freqs that I did not account for. I have never really looked behind the sceenes before so I never worried about the repeater input freqs. I appreciate the info, I can say that I learned somthing today.

What about the system being split into two call signs, what do you think that is all about.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Frank

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
"What about the system being split into two call signs, what do you think that is all about."

I only found the one callsign for site 001. Check the Viper sites, each have a separate callsign.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
A fact is that lots of times some separate systems get absorbed into another system. This leads to a trunking system being licensed to various entities and yet still it is one system. One of the best examples of this is the STARNet system. It started as a Harris County system and there were several other systems in and around Harris County. It has just about absorbed all of them and yet the frequencies for these (now) outlying sites still belong to the entity/agency they were licensed for to begin with. These other entities will probably continue to license the frequencies independently. This is yet another reason why this site does not rely on FCC information for its data. ;)

Gmoz

So basicly it might have been two seperate systems at one time but then combined into one. I still find it curious that the city of Fayetteville owns both. Seems like they could consolidat it.

Fmon, yes the database only calls out one call sign but if you look at the freqs in that call sign you will not find all the freqs needed for the trunking system.The database list WNLK950 but the rest of the freqs are found under WPFQ241.

Frank

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Gmoz wrote: the database only calls out one call sign but if you look at the freqs in that call sign you will not find all the freqs needed for the trunking system. The database list WNLK950 but the rest of the freqs are found under WPFQ241.
WNLK950 in the FCC database list only the 5 red controls and their 5 inputs. WPFQ241 list the 11 non-control freqs and their inputs. Totals of both call signs add up to 16 outputs, which are also the 16 listed in the RR database (inputs are never listed for trunking systems). Both call signs are used for the county and city..

BTW, I doubt the listing is correct regarding 5 CC's. More then likely 856.3125 is used to broadcast data, such as the automated CW call sign every half hour and possibly used for I-Call. Usually this can be determined by checking the duty CC for 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.