• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Call Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyons01

Does the APX software Version 16 allow the radios to display the call sign instead of the radio Id number? If so, how should this be done? Mean when the chief key up his radio all the best that radio display will show chief

N1GTL

Database Admin
Yes, It does.

First, under RADIO ERGONOMICS CONFIGURATION > DISPLAY, scroll down to Id Display and look for the PTT ID Display drop-down. Set it to "Dispatch and Scan"

Then, under CALL LIST CONFIGURATION > UNIFIED CALL LIST, you need to create a contact for each subscriber. Then you add that subscribers unique ID (ASTRO, MDC, etc) to the contact.

The Contact names cannot be duplicated. If the Chief has a mobile and portable, they cannot both be called "Chief". You'd need to make them unique.

If you have a spreadsheet, make column a the contact name (14 characters max) and column b the MDC ID or ASTRO ID and I wrote a program that will output an XML file to import the complete Unified Call List. E-mail me the spreadsheet and I'll email you the XML file.

slyons01

MDC ID or ASTRO ID Do i just make up the numbers and what is you email I will create a spreedsheet now

N1GTL

Database Admin
If it is digital, it's Astro. If it's analog, it would be 4 digit MDC. Every radio needs to be programmed, you can't just randomly throw numbers in there.....it requires system planning.

slyons01

I have both digital and analog. in the next few months we are switching to the p25 system. im not sure if that will help

slyons01

just by looking at the old programmer XML files from a type II trunking hot list. I can create the contact names but is not sure how to set up the call ID list

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'll create an importable XML for you but....

You really need to plan this out correctly! System Planner? You can't just pick values off the top of your head and throw them into the radios.

I have an Excel template. There are columns for the Alias, MDC ID, Astro25 conventional ID and Astro25 trunked ID. I've made it so if you enter a value exceeding a limit, it will tell you in red. It will also highlight, in red, any duplicate values. When you're done filling it out, nothing should be red.

Message me your e-mail and I'll send you the Excel template. When you're done filling it out, send it back and I'll run a script on it that will automatically create an XML you can import. It will assume your Astro conventional system is the default (Cnv Sys 1), your analog is "Cnv Sys 2" and, if applicable, the trunked system is "Trk Sys 1". You can edit the XML in a text editor using CTRL-H (usually) to find and replace those values if you have named them something else already.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Contact names cannot be duplicated. If the Chief has a mobile and portable, they cannot both be called "Chief". You'd need to make them unique.

That's not accurate. Each Contact Name can have a total of five differing IDs assigned to it.

So "Chief" could be an alias for an ASTRO 25 trunking mobile ID 101 and portable ID 201, as well as the same two IDs for ASTRO conventional, and an MDC ID of 101C.

Note that the total of five is reached by any combination of different types of IDs per contact name, not five per ID type.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

slyons01

That's not accurate. Each Contact Name can have a total of five differing IDs assigned to it.

So "Chief" could be an alias for an ASTRO 25 trunking mobile ID 101 and portable ID 201, as well as the same two IDs for ASTRO conventional, and an MDC ID of 101C.

Note that the total of five is reached by any combination of different types of IDs per contact name, not five per ID type.

I was able to create the Contact name but for some reason or reasons I can not edit the Call ID. After I created the Contact name when I go to add the Call ID, there is nothing for me to select

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I'm really hoping this whole exercise is for hobby purposes and not something commercial or even worse mission critical.

N1GTL

Database Admin

The CONTACT NAME cannot be duplicated. Try creating a second CHIEF contact, you can't.

Yes, I know there can be multiple ID's assigned. Was keeping it simple for someone trying to learn. That'll teach me.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The CONTACT NAME cannot be duplicated. Try creating a second CHIEF contact, you can't.

Yes, I know there can be multiple ID's assigned. Was keeping it simple for someone trying to learn. That'll teach me.

Yes, the Contact Name cannot be duplicated, however you also said "If the Chief has a mobile and portable, they cannot both be called "Chief"." which is incorrect. Since up to five IDs can be assigned to a single Contact Name, obviously they can indeed both be called "Chief".

Don't get pissy with me because you misspoke. :roll:

PS - People learn best if they're provided accurate information that can benefit them, rather than having it dumbed down for them. Why should someone looking to create a UCL waste X amount of contact names making them all unique, when in fact they can use a single contact name for up to five IDs? Makes no sense, sorry.

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
In P25 Soft ID is available as well and is embedded in the data string, except that this is a Motorola "proprietary feature" and won't display on other manufacturers radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.