Calling all SC scanner listeners - SC Utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Because of a database architecture change, I recently reformatted the SC Utilities Page. It's available by clicking here: Utilities Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference or selecting Utilities from the drop-down box in the SC Areawide Frequencies section of the main SC database page.

I have also created a Wiki page with some additional details about utilities in SC: you can click the Wiki link in the "Collaborate" section of the Utilities Page or click here: Utilities (SC) - The RadioReference Wiki
This page should help explain what utilies operate in a given area and links to data that we already have.

We lack quite a bit of data on radio systems used by South Carolina utilities. Electric utilities are the biggest users of LMR systems these days, with many others switching to mobile phone services or Specialized LMR solutions like Nextel. We have identified a few of the systems used by the big electric utilities - SCE&G, Duke, Progress, Santee Cooper - but we lack specific site information and talkgroup definitions. We have very little data on the 20+ electic cooperatives that operate in the state.

Other utilities are also lacking, but I suspect that is because few use LMR systems anymore. These include telephone ILECs, Water and Sewer Utilities, cable TV companies, and others.

Most of these systems are probably not interesting to most users - agreed, at least on a daily basis. But I'd like to see us expand the data for what's available, particularly electric utilities since they operate large systems and can be useful sources of information during emergencies. Please help by submitting data - you can do so in any of four ways:
- you can use the submission engine, which is the "Submit Info" tab at the top of any database page
- you can add information yourself to the Wiki page (or correct mistakes that I've surely made)
- you can email me directly at brian at radioreference dot com.
- you can post a reply to this forum thread.

Any information you can offer is helpful. Check the FCC licenses for your county for possible frequencies to program and listen to. If you have a newer scanner, help verify trunked site numbers, aliases and control channels, and try to ID some talkgroup usage. All verified data is appreciated.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will update the wiki, database, and this thread as information is received. Thanks in advance.

Brian

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Brian-
I am gonna sticky this thread for awhile. :)
Hopefully that will help spur some help getting some of the info
updated.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Searay

Premium Subscriber
York County

Brian,

There are several utility freqs in the York County listing.

Matt

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Right you are, Matt. I'll work on incorporating those into the list. Thanks for pointing that out.

Marshall, thanks for the sticky post.

SCPD

QRT
Statewide 900MHZ Plan

I have the Santee Cooper freqs /tower locations somewhere. I will see if I can find them in the next several days...............

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I've had the Trenton tower in for a while and have never heard anything. Today for the first time, I'm hearing Aiken Electric Co-Op on TG 40016. A severe storm is brewing right now, so more TGs may present themselves.

Barry

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
That is the Public Service Commission Tower in Trenton, 900 MHz. Also found the Aiken Electric Co-Op in Edgefield TG 40048. Amazing what a little storm can do.

Barry

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
More on the 900 MHz Public Service Commission tower in Trenton, SC, TGs 40112 and 1936. Both seem to be mobile to mobile.

Barry

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks Barry for the information about Aiken Electric Coop on the SC PSA system. I have added the talkgroups as well as updated the system sites for the SC PSA system. All have Geo-tags now.

If anyone can contribute other confirmed information about this system, like site numbers and Aliases, control channel frequencies, or talkgroup use, it would be appreciated.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Caught one more on the Trenton PSA tower, its TG 2960. Have no idea who it is, but the conversation was mobile to mobile and it didn't sound like a Co-op transmission.

The Trenton tower has about as many elements on it as the Johnston Pal 800 tower does, but the only users seem to be Aiken Electric Co-op and maybe some of the Santee-Cooper transmission crews. That seems like a bunch of bandwidth us taxpayers are paying for and not using (if indeed we taxpayers are paying for it) Just sayin'... :)

Barry

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I added a list of as-yet-unidentified tower sites for the SC PSA trunked radio system to the Wiki page. Click on the Collaboration link on the SC PSA system's database page.

Seems like we're thin on information from the Pee Dee region of the state (Darlington, Marlboro, Kershaw, Sumter).

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Caught TG 1776 on the 900 Hz PSA Trenton tower today. I believe it is an Aiken Electric administrative talk group. (Sure sounded like it).

angelofwar

I added a list of as-yet-unidentified tower sites for the SC PSA trunked radio system to the Wiki page. Click on the Collaboration link on the SC PSA system's database page.

Seems like we're thin on information from the Pee Dee region of the state (Darlington, Marlboro, Kershaw, Sumter).

I'm new here, and just recently got my first "decent" scanner (Radio Shack Pro-160). On base (I'm active AF), the only non-trunked/non-encrypted signal I can pick up, is the analog broad-cast from the Shaw Tower (For civvy AC that may be required to land in the event of an emergency). If you need the Freq., shoot me a PM.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Heard Radio Service setting up a Talk Group (1808) on the PSA 900 MHz, Trenton Tower. It was Aiken Electric, but I don't know what it's purpose is. It could have been Radio Service's Talk Group, IDK, but one of the responders was the dispatch for Aiken Electric.

Back in June, Edgefield County was host to Military training for a short while and during that time I picked up a short transmission on the 900 MHz Trenton Tower that was not unlike the PAL 800 SCHP car to car, a long string of numbers. Only one transmission, and the audio sounded inverted. I turned on my logging software, but never caught it again. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.