Callsign "Cutty Sark"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Monitored "Cutty Sark" with codded message traffic at about 2300 GMT (1600 PDT), Saturday, 6/24/2017 on 11.175 MHz. Coded message repeated twice.

Monitoring location: Inyo County, California. (Owens Valley).

I haven't heard this callsign before. Anyone know what it is?

kma371

QRT
Monitored "Cutty Sark" with codded message traffic at about 2300 GMT (1600 PDT), Saturday, 6/24/2017 on 11.175 MHz. Coded message repeated twice.

Monitoring location: Inyo County, California. (Owens Valley).

I haven't heard this callsign before. Anyone know what it is?

Callsigns passing EAMs are generally tactical callsigns and are rotated. Could have been anyone.

Airboss

Silent Key
It is one of the many changing daily call words used by our Department of Defense for their command and control elements. It could be one of the Air Force E-4B NAOCs, a Navy E-6 TACAMO, various ground station with access to the HFGCS network, and/or various mobile type stations. The usage of the call word is designed so you won't know who is transmitting any of the messages broadcast on the HFGCS. Occasionally radio hobbyists get lucky and figure out a few based on extensive monitoring during that 24 hour broadcast day using various means and methods but for the most part, no one knows except those who are suppose to know. I have more on what is an EAM and the military elements associated with it on the Milcom MP blog at Milcom Monitoring Post: What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)?.

Good hunting de Larry

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Occasionally radio hobbyists get lucky and figure out a few based on extensive monitoring during that 24 hour broadcast day using various means and methods but for the most part, no one knows except those who are suppose to know.

Sometimes, the RMs, now ITs, would be sloppy in who talked on which circuit, with plain language identity and tactical call signs.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.