Caltrans Cameras / Other webcams

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever gotten the Caltrans CCTV cameras to run for LONGER than a minute and have multiple open at once in say a "webcam viewer" program? If so, what did you use for it?

Regards,

-Frank C.

SuperHotLarry

Premium Subscriber
Caltrans has a very useful web portal for all of their traffic cameras (and changeable freeway message signs, also known as CMS). This web portal allows you to view all Caltrans cameras available per district. For example, "District 7" is metropolitan Los Angeles. While these cameras are not live "video", each camera image is updated every 1 to 20 minutes depending on its location, however I have not found that the page itself will show the updated images until you refresh it.

While it's not a dedicated program, the camera images are arranged in a grid pattern, which is partially what I believe you are looking for.

HOWEVER, if you are familiar with API coding, you can custom-write a program to only show the cameras or other data you want using the official Caltrans API.

I usually keep the traffic camera page open on District 7 (my local district) with a 1-minute auto refresh on the page.

Hope this helps!
-SHL

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
More or less what I'm looking for on the API side of things, but I have a program that I already have several webcams "working on" and wanted to try and add the Caltrans ones to that. It's a neat little program called iSPY.

Regards,

-Frank C.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Caltrans has a very useful web portal for all of their traffic cameras (and changeable freeway message signs, also known as CMS). This web portal allows you to view all Caltrans cameras available per district. For example, "District 7" is metropolitan Los Angeles. While these cameras are not live "video", each camera image is updated every 1 to 20 minutes depending on its location, however I have not found that the page itself will show the updated images until you refresh it.

While it's not a dedicated program, the camera images are arranged in a grid pattern, which is partially what I believe you are looking for.

HOWEVER, if you are familiar with API coding, you can custom-write a program to only show the cameras or other data you want using the official Caltrans API.

I usually keep the traffic camera page open on District 7 (my local district) with a 1-minute auto refresh on the page.

Hope this helps!
-SHL
Darn I live in Westlake, non of the cameras available work lol

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Oh wow, some of these cameras are streaming. I guess it has been a while since I viewed the Caltrans traffic cameras.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Oh wow, some of these cameras are streaming. I guess it has been a while since I viewed the Caltrans traffic cameras.

Yeah but not all of them are "live" all the time. Usually, it's metro areas that have continuous streaming or 30-second streams.

Regards,

-Frank C.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Yeah but not all of them are "live" all the time. Usually, it's metro areas that have continuous streaming or 30-second streams.

Regards,

-Frank C.

I don't think any of them in rural areas are live, thus having motion. Some other states have them streaming live if I remember correctly and I don't recall if there was an urban-rural split on that.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I don't think any of them in rural areas are live, thus having motion. Some other states have them streaming live if I remember correctly and I don't recall if there was an urban-rural split on that.

I think maybe 5 state-wide in rural areas are live, otherwise yes...They are images updated X minutes. I'm looking to watch the more live/30-second ones via an external camera viewer locally.

Regards,

-Frank C.

sacscan

Why is it that almost every time there's a big incident here in Sacramento, the Caltrans camera for that location suddenly goes "Down for Construction"? Right now there's an overturned big rig on US-50 at Howe Avenue. I heard the broadcast on the CHP scanner, opened the Caltrans link, saw the still picture, hit play, and got a black screen. I went to another camera, verified it worked, then tried to go back to Howe Avenue again and got "Down for Construction". This has happened after many major freeway incidents. Do those of you in other cities experience this?

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Why is it that almost every time there's a big incident here in Sacramento, the Caltrans camera for that location suddenly goes "Down for Construction"? Right now there's an overturned big rig on US-50 at Howe Avenue. I heard the broadcast on the CHP scanner, opened the Caltrans link, saw the still picture, hit play, and got a black screen. I went to another camera, verified it worked, then tried to go back to Howe Avenue again and got "Down for Construction". This has happened after many major freeway incidents. Do those of you in other cities experience this?

Ya know, I haven't experienced it but I know you aren't the only one who's mentioned that either.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.