Caltrans District 5 frequencies outdated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, we drove up SR1 from Morro Bay to Salinas this week, and I was surprised to see only low-band antennas on every Caltrans Truck I saw. (And we saw a LOT of their vehicles). Almost all the cars (supervisors?) had NO antenna on them, with the exception of a broadcast antenna. I saw no sign of the usual gain 800Mc Antennas or even the 2" spike. I wish I had read this thread earlier, as we only had the 800Mc freqs programmed in the scanner, and heard nothing on them. Did put in 47.18 on the rest of the trip back down SR25 from Hollister, and nothing heard on that one either.

The good news is that the drive up SR1 was free of any delays, and the weather was glorious.:p

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Traffic on low-band is pretty light. I don't monitor often, but do occasionally during storms and such (remember storms?), and there isn't much traffic at all.

I've seen some new UHF licenses popping up for CalTrans which look like low power links. I suspect this is an effort to link the 800MHz repeaters and transition to that system. Who knows how long this will take.

Yeah they are still on low band, but they been testing the 800mhz for the past year. they were back down here a few weeks ago this time on the coast they were testing from Pt.Sur to Santa Cruz on highway one

Status
Not open for further replies.