Calvert County HAZMAT Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Calvert County is responding to a tanker truck that has overturned on MD 4/2 at Calverton School Road.

Something is spilling out but they haven't been able to determine what, exactly. Fire companies 1,2,5, and 6 responding with the HAZMAT team utilizing Fire Tac 1 for comms. MDE has been requested.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Agencies on a minor "major" incident tend to follow the ICS and will assign a liaison person (with a radio on their talkgroup) from their agency to the command post. Information required to be relayed across agencies is then transmitted by the liaisons. This keeps the talkgroups a bit more normal as far as radio procedures that are used by each agency.

Interop is more about the ability for "like" agencies (like fire units on the fireground) to be able to talk directly to one another for their function ... and make the comms seem as normal as possible.

Even though various agencies are supposed to stop using "ten codes" and similar, it wouldn't be good for an everyone to be on the same channel and one or another agency to tying up the talkgroup and/or using lingo that the other agencies don't understand....

...and the last thing you need in a major incident is a public works guy playing country music over the radio (I hear it all the time!) :lol:

WG3K

Well, get rid of the country music guy! :)

In this case sheriff deputies and fire personnel were on separate TGs trying to convey much of the same information to the 911 center to be relayed to the SHA and MDE folks that were responding. I didn't hear SHA or MDE on any of the other radio systems but one could imagine everyone being assigned a TG or two for the incident and having direct communications between everyone. I've actually been a part of a minor "major" incident like that and it's all quite grand when it all works. Oh well... :)

troymail

Silent Key
Well, get rid of the country music guy! :)
The strangest part is that based on radio identifiers, they have to know who it is. I'll assume they deal with it "off line" and each time you hear it again, it's got to be a new employee... maybe, maybe not.

It has been reported that some of the conversations between users on the FiRST system prisoner transport talkgroups have been reprimanded on the spot over the air... I'm willing to bet the that 'remprimander" (is that a word?) got reprimanded for that too...

I've actually been a part of a minor "major" incident like that and it's all quite grand when it all works. Oh well... :)

"when" it works.... It all comes down to how many people have a radio and how well they are trained (and have had a chance to practice during real life events and exercises).

ok . sorry... back to the topic... I assume all turned out well since it was only a diesel spill.... better safe than sorry.

WG3K

"when" it works.... It all comes down to how many people have a radio and how well they are trained (and have had a chance to practice during real life events and exercises).

Practice like you'll play!

I assume all turned out well since it was only a diesel spill.... better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I think when Engine 62 arrived on scene they found a trunk overturned with *something* leaking out of it with no placards showing on the truck. I think they were safe to upgrade the rescue box to a HAZMAT box. The biggest issue they had was getting the SHA dump truck through the traffic as it sounded like their initial dike wasn't holding well. "We need that dirt here now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.