Camden County discussing 700/800 MHz digital system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFR_697

The part where they say we are the only county on the I-95 corridor in GA, that is still utilizing VHF repeaters isn't exactly true.. McIntosh County (Darien) like Camden, is also still using VHF repeaters for emergency communications. Aside from McIntosh and Camden, yes, all the rest of the coastal​ counties (Glynn, Liberty, Bryan and Chatham) as well as a couple of neighboring inland counties (Effingham and Bulloch) are all on the Southeast GA Regional Radio Network (SEGARRN) .

Camden County, like McIntosh, (however more populated than McIntosh) is poor to say the least. Unless both counties and municipalities within those counties get some kind of significant federal or state grant money or they raise taxes here soon, I doubt they will tie into the SEGARRN any time soon, if ever. At the very least at this point, I could see an upgrade to our current VHF frequencies from analog conventional to P25 conventional..other than that, I will be amazed if they actually secure funding to switch to SEGARRN. They have talked about switching to SEGARRN or our own county digital system for years now and nothing has ever been done and probably won't ever be. Time will tell I guess

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
i hereby dispute that Camden is a poor county. that said - the many MANY crooked politicians and county commissioners / government officials over the years have never been good custodians of tax money....

KFR_697

i hereby dispute that Camden is a poor county. that said - the many MANY crooked politicians and county commissioners / government officials over the years have never been good custodians of tax money....

Unless you are a resident of the county like myself​, who's lived here 25 yrs (my entire life) , I doubt you are in a position to dispute much of anything on that point..We have the bare essentials of what most people need in the way of retail shopping, dining, and entertainment..It's gotten better over the years but there's still things that locals have to travel to Jacksonville or Brunswick for, to get ,or to go enjoy. There's hardly any jobs and unless you can get a job on the naval base (which is pretty much the life blood of the county), then likewise most people commute to work in Jacksonville or Brunswick. Our population is less than 60k residents. I will agree with you to a point that yes there are probably areas that money are mismanaged, but that's with usually every government, at every level.

KFR_697

that said... a couple of interop patches and maybe a new repeater or two... problem solved. camden doesn't need this type of system. oh, and take a look at this.... aka "facts" >>>>

http://frc.gsu.edu/download/georgias-property-taxes-by-the-numbers/?wpdmdl=4613

camden is one of the few places that even needing P25 is a bit of a stretch....

We absolutely do need P25! haha, or at the very least as you mentioned more repeaters, clearly you are not from here and have no idea what we deal with and how bad it is. Coverage on the north end of the county is almost zero to none, the portable radios do not work AT ALL, even in an open area like 95 and even coverage there is spotty. It's an officer, firefighter, and EMT/Paramedic safety issue..theres clearly a problem when your portable radio is nothing more than a glorified scanner, you may be able to hear but when you have to go back to the fire truck, ambulance, or patrol car to use the mobile radio to communicate with dispatch and the other units out there, is kind of not good..Whereas if we had P25 conventional or P25 Trunked on the SEGARRN, we would be alot better off, both coverage and interoperability wise. Especially since that was what the entire purpose of the build out of the SEGARRN was/is so that all the coastal counties and some of the inland neighboring counties could have full interop capabilities on a common platform, once Camden and McIntosh tie into the system (whenever that may be) it will have been completed, as they are the only two remaining left that haven't come over yet, with the most recent being Glynn County who tied in about a yr ago.

We have the ability to patch with the Naval Base to their P25 UHF Trunked to our VHF conventional, however it's been found (during training exercises) that the patches are not very reliable and they are often lost once not long after they have been established by the Regional Dispatch Center. Since Camden as well as a few other counties in the area including McIntosh, are pretty much minorities when it comes to the communications world it would be in our best interest to switch asap. You can have your opinions, but I am telling you both as an enthusist and an end user of this system it is GARBAGE and it's time for a change and it's time for our county to get up with the times is FACT.

wsmoore

Database Admin
Batdude lived in Camden County for years . I will even bet he knows better than you what radio infrastructure that they need .

KFR_697

Batdude lived in Camden County for years . I will ehttps://s.radioreference.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gifven bet he knows better than you what radio infrastructure that they need .

Yeah keyword there bud, "lived", past and not present, ..I have grown up and lived here all my life, and still presently do..I monitor our current VHF radio system on an almost pretty much daily basis, and as an end user of it from time to time, I know it sucks. And pretty much any of our city and county law enforcement and fire/ems personnel will say the same if asked. It's time for a change and a better system, and majority of the area agencies now are digital P25 in the 7/800 and the military bases are on UHF P25 systems in the 380 MHz and they work better than our VHF does. But thanks for your input!

nunyax

4-site 7-channel VHF system:

Camden County Board of Commissioners is seeking sealed request for proposals from qualified manufacturers and vendors who specialize in design, construction, testing and maintenance of VHF wireless communications infrastructure for public safety and other public agencies.

The Camden County solicits for an analog VHF conventional simulcast radio system to include design and construction of 4 towers, 4 physical facilities and microwave Subsystem. It is the intention of the Camden County to enter into a single contract with one Selected Vendor for the entire scope of work or multiple contracts with several different vendors for design, equipment or construction.

Sealed Proposals must be received at the office of the Purchasing Officer, P.O Box 99-200 East 4th Street-Woodbine, GA 31569 no later than 2 P.M. on Friday, July 21, 2017 reference CAMDEN COUNTY VHF RADIO SYSTEM EXPANSION PROJECT, RFP No. 2017-110.
Bid & RFP Posting

Public Safety VHF Radio Communication System Expansion

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KIL390 - CAMDEN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS

Status
Not open for further replies.