cameras? on the back deck lid of State Police cars..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if they are cameras or rear facing radar (now that is low, catch you for catching up to them). I think they are radar myself. Motorhead or anyone, chime in.

Hey post 1,000. Yikes. Ratchet fingers. :D

MOTORHEAD3902

On the back deck lid? As in the trunk lid? We aint supposed to have anything on there.
Now, if'n the OP meant like inside the back window (we used to call this the package shelf), then yes, thats just the inside mounted radar antennae.

cheers

LEH

Premium Subscriber
On the back deck lid? As in the trunk lid? We aint supposed to have anything on there.
Now, if'n the OP meant like inside the back window (we used to call this the package shelf), then yes, thats just the inside mounted radar antennae.

cheers

I can't speak for the OP, but that is what I thought when I first read his post and what I based my answer on. Thanks for the verification.

CalvinNutler

Those are license plate readers. When these first arrived they were mounted on the tops of a few Chevy Impalas. Now I see that they have actually mounted them on at least one blue and gray. For those of you in the Tri-Cities area, one of the vehicles (probably unmarked) will be temporarily assigned to the State Police Area 7 office as soon as 4 area personnel are trained in their use. I look forward to seeing them in action. Should be interesting.

dynamitedjs

license plate readers are probably it. I see the same cams at toll booths and city parking enforcement van(s)

I have seen it one one unmarked CV and one marked. Will get a pic of it next time. It is definitely on the trunk lid and is very gaudy. You can't miss it.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
license plate readers are probably it. I see the same cams at toll booths and city parking enforcement van(s)

I have seen it one one unmarked CV and one marked. Will get a pic of it next time. It is definitely on the trunk lid and is very gaudy. You can't miss it.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo. I don't recall seeing anything on the trunk facing back. Like Motorhead said, I have seen the rear facing radar on the deck below the rear window.

KJ4NFP

They are a very interesting item. I got a chane to tinker with one setup in an umarked CRV recently. The only catch with the setup I played with was it only polled what was downloaded that day, versus a "streaming" search for stolen plates. Agreed, it is hideous!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Just curious - why place the cameras on the back deck, when they might be more-effective on the front side of the patrol units ?

I understand that the readers will read both on-coming and in-tandem tags. It just seems that a traffic stop would be easier / safer / more-successful if initiated from behind a suspect vehicle traveling in the same lane ... rather than stopping a vehicle behind me, or one that's just passed and going in the opposite direction.

BTW - a Google search of "license plate reader" turns up quite a bit of information about this technology.

MOTORHEAD3902

no, the "false hits" are in reference to "like match" responses when the VSP guys run an individual's info on the MDT and it isn't the person in question. Whenever there is a hit response to an MDT query, the dispatcher gets an instant notification and quickly compares the hit response to what the trooper/officer just ran to see if it cvould be the same person. Meantime, the trooper/officer is doing the same thing. Whoever determines first will announce if it's a false hit.

I can always be counted on to make a simple answer "seem" complicated...

Don_Burke

no, the "false hits" are in reference to "like match" responses when the VSP guys run an individual's info on the MDT and it isn't the person in question. Whenever there is a hit response to an MDT query, the dispatcher gets an instant notification and quickly compares the hit response to what the trooper/officer just ran to see if it cvould be the same person. Meantime, the trooper/officer is doing the same thing. Whoever determines first will announce if it's a false hit.

I can always be counted on to make a simple answer "seem" complicated...

I am a little lost here.

If you run say, Richard Milhous Nixon with a social security number of 567-68-0515, why would the system come up with a "like match"?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
People use others ID's, human error in the data input (I had a young man who worked for me while in the AF. He had automatic deposit. One day he got a pay stub with $0 deposited. Seems a guy with a SSN close to his canceled his direct deposit and my guys number got typed in.), some don't carry an ID, most ID's no longer carry the SSN (which was originally NOT supposed to be used for identification purposes).

At least it is nice to know there are some double checks when there is a question.

Don_Burke

People use others ID's, human error in the data input (I had a young man who worked for me while in the AF. He had automatic deposit. One day he got a pay stub with $0 deposited. Seems a guy with a SSN close to his canceled his direct deposit and my guys number got typed in.), some don't carry an ID, most ID's no longer carry the SSN (which was originally NOT supposed to be used for identification purposes).

At least it is nice to know there are some double checks when there is a question.
I roger all of that.

What I am wondering about is what a "like match" really is. Similar name maybe?

I am guessing a "hit" is when some sort of want or warrant comes up.

topcop1833

when I used to work for a local PD, we were told that the searches are not truly a search for those exact characters. they were using what they called "sound-exing". If you looked up a Richard Nixon, it might catch a Richard Nickson. It it had something to do with taking too long to run a true search on a name. I ran someone once with a name close to mine and got several hits back. This was all some time ago, so I don't know if VCIN has gone through any upgrades. Who knows, maybe the problem was was with the locality I worked for.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
when I used to work for a local PD, we were told that the searches are not truly a search for those exact characters. they were using what they called "sound-exing". If you looked up a Richard Nixon, it might catch a Richard Nickson. It it had something to do with taking too long to run a true search on a name. I ran someone once with a name close to mine and got several hits back. This was all some time ago, so I don't know if VCIN has gone through any upgrades. Who knows, maybe the problem was was with the locality I worked for.

Soundexing would be pretty logical if you're running someone who doesn't have an ID. Census records around the turn of the century were soundexed, and any number of genealogical sites can explain the system. I'd be curious to know if VCIN actually does this when there isn't a numerical to keep things clear.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.