Camp Lejeune going encrypted soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just letting you guys know to go ahead and get your scanning in for Lejeune as they are going encrypted soon.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
figures...... when is this going to happen?

cant see all the users going encrypted but who knows?

soon the only thing to listen to will be aircraft / boats and maybe the trains.

reconrider8

figures...... when is this going to happen?

cant see all the users going encrypted but who knows?

soon the only thing to listen to will be aircraft / boats and maybe the trains.

yea maybe trains until they go nxdn then youll need a radio or sdr or the equivilent

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Lejeune PMO used to be DES encrypted back in the 90s, but somewhere along the lines they stopped using it. There is a new P25 380 MHz multi-site system that is slowly coming online. All of the talkgroups so far are AES encrypted.

Drafin

In before the lock... :)

I would have figured that they were already using encryption. Unlike most other people (and please don't flame me, it's just my personal opinion), I have no problem with military comms being encrypted. But I understand why others have the opposite opinion. I guess what I am saying is that complaining about it won't stop it so there really is no reason to waste the time or energy on ranting or raving.

Draf

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'm not talking about green-gear comm. This is the system that the base uses for daily operations, i.e., Fire, EMS, Police, maintenance, etc.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to 911 and the towers going down.

The military has really beefed up security. It is like an act of congress to gain access to a military base anymore.

I remember before 911 I could go on Pope Air Force Base and Ft Bragg and visit and talk to the firefighters, not anymore. The only way to get on the bases now is with a proper military ID.

I figure it wouldn't be long before all military communications would be encypted. Now most law enforcement and ambulance services that transmit patient information to hospitals is following the same path of encyption.

I don't have a real problem with the military or law enforcement being encypted, because the main thing I care about listening to is Ems, Fire & Rescue.

David

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
As of 18 Feb 2015, the old 2808 system is no longer being used. Camp Lejeune moved to their new 380 MHz multi-site system that is running full-time encryption for every talkgroup. Yep, even the waste-water guys will be running encryption; sorry Barefootdipole.

It was a good run. I'll hate to tear down 2808, but it'll be good as that system was well beyond her years. We worked hard to keep it going as long as we did.

Another one bites the dust!

Last edited:

ecps92

Has anyone made a DB submission for the new system ?
And submitted an update for the Old TRS ?? :confused:

As of 18 Feb 2015, the old 2808 system is no longer being used. Camp Lejeune moved to their new 380 MHz multi-site system that is running full-time encryption for every talkgroup. Yep, even the waste-water guys will be running encryption; sorry Barefootdipole.

It was a good run. I'll hate to tear down 2808, but it'll be good as that system was well beyond her years. We worked hard to keep it going as long as we did.

Another one bites the dust!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No one has made a submission for the new system and the old system is still on as a backup, but will be turned off within 30 days. So we can't remove the old system from the database until it officially goes away. Even then, I'm not sure if it will be archived for historical purposes.

I do not have any info on the new system other than it is a P25 380 MHz multi-site system and everything is encrypted full-time. End users do not have the ability to turn off encryption.

I do not have any info on the new system other than it is a P25 380 MHz multi-site system and everything is encrypted full-time.

I'm on the Cape Carteret/Bogue line across HW24 from Bogue Field and 380.550 CC is absolutely full scale on a rubber duck...pegged s-meters....reading as site 1212....i get only one talkgroup ID'ing TG# 2201....just hear a few milliseconds of dispatcher's voice before it clips out....

I'm also getting another site 0303 on 380.4125 CC but much weaker here.....

380.550 CC is absolutely full scale on a rubber duck...pegged s-meters....reading as site 1212....i get only one talkgroup ID'ing TG# 2201....just hear a few milliseconds of dispatcher's voice before it clips out....

new nightime CC 380.400...same full scale signal strength...same sys/site ID 1212 as daytime CC 380.550......also same TG# 2201 only one seen so far....

(went back to 380.550 CC around 3am...after only three hours or so)

other system freqs observed :

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You are probably just hearing the digital burst in the beginning as they are full-time encrypted. Even on a real radio, you won't hear anything but garbled digital unless you have the encryption key.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There is absolutely no way that you heard any sort of voice as they are using AES, not voice inversion. There is no lag-time between when the encryption comes on as it is on all the time. It is system wide and the users have no way to turn it off. I cannot go into too many details as I work for base communications, but rest assured that whatever you heard was not a human voice.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Just to give you a heads up, encryption on an actual Motorola Radio does NOT give out any type of noise. If the radio does not have the encryption key, the encrypted user comes across silent.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
That all depends on how the radio is programmed. You can program a Motorola radio to unmute on an invalid key and the radio will produce digital garbled noise. Most radios are programmed to remain silent on invalid keys and only open upon receiving the correct key.

There is absolutely no way that you heard any sort of voice as they are using AES, not voice inversion. There is no lag-time between when the encryption comes on as it is on all the time. It is system wide and the users have no way to turn it off. I cannot go into too many details as I work for base communications, but rest assured that whatever you heard was not a human voice.

no argument here Scott, but you're dead wrong, i DID hear voices at the very beginning...i know what i heard and who i heard....don't know why, if there were 'issues' last night or what...but it was there.....trust me. i know you know the system frontwards and backwards, but i know what i heard. period. to imply that i was confusing digital bursts for a human voice is simply ludricious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.