Camp Ripley

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchhand-y

I am curious to know if it is possible to listen to the National Guard at Camp Ripley on my scanner (uniden 996p2). I noticed the National Guard talk groups listed on this website and I have them programmed in, but I have not heard anything yet. Proximity shouldn't be a problem as I am only a couple miles away. I'm thinking maybe there is a tower or site that I am missing. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
See: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3508

In the System Frequencies area, you'll see a column for "County". I believe Camp Ripley is in Crow Wing County, which shows four different towers/sites. You'd want the one closest to you, but programming all of them won't be an issue (as would any tower/site within about 30 miles of you).

ranchhand-y

I have programmed in all towers within 30 miles of my location. LE, fire, and EMS all come in just fine, but nothing from Ripley. Do you think they have their own tower/site that is not listed?

mmtstc

Ø
They use a mix of both armer and military conventional stuff. Your best bets will be during the weekend and on the Morrison county system.
State patrol training talkgroups are also in play up there when they have academy.

IIRC, range control is the busiest talkgroup up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayb2468

I'm hearing traffic on tgid 662 from Camp Ripley. I'm located in Brainerd, using a BCD536HP, ID searching, I'd guess i'm picking this up on the Baxter tower, I have Baxter, Pillager, and Leader enabled.
Some will be in early morning hours, 4 a.m. or so, and around noon today. I haven't paid much attention to tgid numbers, may be others too. Jay

ranchhand-y

Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to hear some activity from the range this evening.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I hear Camp Ripley stuff often. If I were you I would program, Morrison Simulcast, Lincoln, Pillager, and Baxter sites.

blue5011

I am curious to know if it is possible to listen to the National Guard at Camp Ripley on my scanner (uniden 996p2). I noticed the National Guard talk groups listed on this website and I have them programmed in, but I have not heard anything yet. Proximity shouldn't be a problem as I am only a couple miles away. I'm thinking maybe there is a tower or site that I am missing. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
What exactly do you wish to hear?

I ask that because most military field communications will be on the SINCGARS (Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System). SINCGARS uses "frequency-hopping" VHF FM, 996p2 will not "hear" anything there.

The military is also moving toward what is called the "Soldier Radio Waveform", which from what I understand is basically a voice/ data radio operating as linked network (similar to the cellphone network). I don't think a 996p2 will receive any of those transmissions either as there is built-in encryption.

The military is just following what the Law Enforcement community has done, moved communication to data streams (cellphone, mobile vehicle terminals, Internet). There is less and less for the casual listener to hear.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
FWIW I'm close enough to hear Fort Knox Kentucky's radio system, a 3 site TRS. Most of the "business" I hear on that system could be called "behind the scenes" stuff. Things like transportation, Range Control, public works, public safety etc. Nothing that I would consider "operational" transmissions, such as "take a squad of X soldiers and move to grid point 123456". I'm sure as above posters have suggested, those operational things are conducted on military radios.

blue5011

FWIW I'm close enough to hear Fort Knox Kentucky's radio system, a 3 site TRS. Most of the "business" I hear on that system could be called "behind the scenes" stuff. Things like transportation, Range Control, public works, public safety etc. Nothing that I would consider "operational" transmissions, such as "take a squad of X soldiers and move to grid point 123456". I'm sure as above posters have suggested, those operational things are conducted on military radios.

Don't mean to "pick a bone" w/ you but the OP stated he wanted to hear the "National Guard", not the "transportation, Range Control, public works, public safety etc". Quite possibly I read too much into the question being I am retired military (US Army).

That was the reason for my initial question, "What exactly do you wish to hear?" and my follow-up concerning the military radios.

I question how "busy" Camp Ripley is this time of year. A unit near me just returned from a 9 month stint in Egypt, I would expect "activity" to start to ramp up now in summer season.

I also use google earth to run an elevation profile to a site I am trying to hear. Sometimes there is a physical obstruction blocking the path. A scanner listener near me has trouble w/ an ARMER tower just 10 miles away because he is behind a 50 foot hill...

Status
Not open for further replies.