Campers Trapped by Rising Flood Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppafred

Talking about deploying halogen lights on the water's edge if they can access a portable generator. Barnes FD says they have one and will attempt to get it to them. Unknown if this is at Turner Bend bridge or at the incident site.

poppafred

OSC reports all campers have been safely moved to solid ground and the river 's crest has passed. The highway is reported as still blocked at Turner Bend. Nothing on the G&F officer is being said but someone has reported hearing SAR locator whistles and they are deploying to find the source. No one seems to be in panic mode right now so it appears this incident may have a good ending.

poppafred

A second G&F officer has just made the statement that he doesn't believe he has ever seen the river this high before. Earlier report of 16' would put the crest in the 18 - 20' range or possibly higher.

What a night!

Last edited:

poppafred

A look at the regional radar shows another rain band blowing out of Texas toward Tulsa so this incident may be winding down but the rain apparently is not. We surpassed 10" for October this afternoon and appear to be on pace for another record year.

The ground is saturated and everything is running off into the creeks and streams so when it starts to flood, it happens quickly.

I will update when I hear anything new but I'm 10-7 for the duration.

Last edited:

poppafred

On Scene Commander reported to dispatchers at 3:54am that the G&F officer and both rescue swimmers had been located and safely retrieved.

An excellent ending to a potentially tragic incident.

MOGA

Wow, what an ordeal!

With everything that's happened in Georgia involving flooding this past month, there's no way that I'd be driving near moving water near its crest after a week of heavy rains, much less camping next to it. This account just solidifies the healthy respect I have for flood water. Let's be grateful that no lives were lost and hope that those rescued will be wiser for the ordeal.

Doesn't NOAA radio warn of rising waters?

poppafred

Wow, what an ordeal!

With everything that's happened in Georgia involving flooding this past month, there's no way that I'd be driving near moving water near its crest after a week of heavy rains, much less camping next to it. This account just solidifies the healthy respect I have for flood water. Let's be grateful that no lives were lost and hope that those rescued will be wiser for the ordeal.

Doesn't NOAA radio warn of rising waters?

NOAA weather radio won't penetrate into the valleys of that area very well. I know we were under flash flood watch, but I am fairly sure they did not ever issued a flash flood warning for that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.