• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can’t connect to Quantar

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkmeehan

I purchased a Motorola Quantar 800mhz repeater, installed the rss, created the modem, put in the 193.0.0.5 address and when I try to connect I get “ unable to make physical connection” I have tried on 2 different computers, 2 different cables and am ready to throw the thing in the dump. I have no one to ask for help other than you guys on here. When I attempt to do a swdl it gets started the repeater restarts and then I get must have active ftp connection. The RSS manual is useless when it comes to errors and I haven’t been able to find anything about either of my errors anywhere..

Hope someone can help.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Last time I remember not being able to connect it's because I forgot to 'dial' the repeater first. It's been awhile so details aren't too fresh in my memory.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Make sure you are using a null-modem cable (looks like you are) and don't for get to select the correct COM port and dial the repeater.

hkmeehan

Thanks guys, I have tried dialing using the only com port but the speed is only 9600 and no other speeds available, when I hit dial it gives me the can not make physical connection error. I even purchased a new control board thinking that might of been bad and get the same result, just on the new control board it doesn’t startup like the other, the original has good lights on system, pa etc, the replacement all lights just flash which is meaning there is no firmware or code plug loaded from what I have read but still no connection when trying to dial from rss.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Why can't you just plug the null-modem serial cable and select "read?" I never "connect" and have no problem programming my Quantars.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
That is for programming remotely, i.e., having to program a Quantar that is up on a 1500 foot tower and you are 100 miles away. If the repeater is sitting right beside you, then you need to use the null-modem cable and connect directly to the repeater and select "read."

RKG

It has been a while for me also, but I recall you will need a null modem cable and a gender changer. Plug in and press the read button.

hkmeehan

Thanks everyone, it is local serial using null modem, when I get home tonight I will try not dialing and just reading and let you know what I get. Thanks again.

hkmeehan

So when I connect to the front port and my serial port using a null modem I get “unable to connect to the device” on 2 different laptops one win xp pro and one win 7 I can read my portables on both with their cps, with the same ports etc, I have tested both cables otherwise and don’t now what else to do. My tx lock is green, station on is green, WL is on and green and v.24/modem is flashing.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
So when I connect to the front port and my serial port using a null modem I get “unable to connect to the device” on 2 different laptops one win xp pro and one win 7 I can read my portables on both with their cps, with the same ports etc, I have tested both cables otherwise and don’t now what else to do. My tx lock is green, station on is green, WL is on and green and v.24/modem is flashing.

Not doubting you, but are you sure you're using a null modem cable and not just a gender changer? it's a common mistake.

hkmeehan

I purchased it from eBay for quantar cable, and purchased one on amazon and can use both with an adtran router though Telnet and both work fine. I don’t know what else to do.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Are you using a serial port or a USB adapter?

Click on Tools, then select Connection Configuration and then select "Serial" and then select the com port that you are using.

Close out of that window and plug in the cable to the front of the Quantar and then the other end needs to be on the serial port of your computer. Next, select File and then Read from Device.

Last edited:

hkmeehan

Are you using a serial port or a USB adapter?

Click on Tools, then select Connection Configuration and then select "Serial" and then select the com port that you are using.

Close out of that window and plug in the cable to the front of the Quantar and then the other end needs to be on the serial port of your computer. Next, select File and then Read from Device.

I followed that exactly and still get “Unable to connect to device”

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Also, I'd Ohm out and verify the pin for pin configuration of that cable. All null modem cables are not created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.