• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can’t get my TK-3160 to transmit ani on ptt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCase

Hello everyone,
First let me say thank you to the site admin for providing a platform such as this. I’ve used it several times in the past to find answers and decided it was time to join since I’m needing some help and couldn’t find the answer already posted.
The simple explanation is this: I have a Kenwood TK-3160 that I have programmed (according to the software) to transmit the ANI TOT on PTT.
My understanding and results with another brand & model of radio is that this setting will transmit the ANI in DTMF at the beginning of each transmission on each time I press the PTT. The only thing is, nothing happens. I just get a regular open mic when I press the PTT. Am I doing something wrong ? Have I missed a step that I’m not aware of ?

A little background: this handheld is mounted inside a Call24 callbox. Unfortunately the particular callbox I have is set up as just a callbox, not an emergency callbox. This means that when the red button on the face of the callbox is pressed, it powers up the TK-3160 inside and it essentially renders it a regular two-way radio with no proceeding audible ring or tone being transmitted. I’ve already spoken to the tech’s at Call24 (a fantastic company with top of the line products) who have informed me that there’s nothing that they can do to change this on their end less sending the callbox in and having the entire program board replaced which is cost prohibited. I spoke to a tech with Kenwood and it might have been the language barrier that played a roll but the only thing he could suggest is (depending on the model of radio) possibly programming the ANI or Fleetsync or something similar but other than the ANI, everything else I’m reading in the manual wouldn’t work for my application. Basically, when the red button on the face of the callbox is pressed by someone, I need the radio to transmit an audible sound so that my staff monitoring the radio knows that the callbox was activated, this would prompt my staff to transmit back and ascertain the location & nature of the emergency. It sounds more complicated than it is. Any help or advice would be appreciated. One last thing, I’m not a HAM, I have no clue when it comes to things like Arduino, Raspberry, microcontrollers and the like so if your suggestion includes anything similar it’s beyond my abilities currently. Not trying to be rude as your suggestion is welcome, just being honest as to my abilities or lack there of.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here's a couple of things to try:

On your "Channel Edit" screen, click on the channel you use. Click on the "Channel Edit" button on the bottom of that screen.
Do you have the "Optional Signaling" field set for DTMF?
Do you have PTT ID set to BOT? (Beginning of Transmission), EOT? (End of Transmission), or Both?

On the DTMF page, you can set the "Sidetone" on by clicking that box. That'll put a tone out the speaker on the call box so the person who activated it will know the call has been initiated, and will hopefully prevent them from trying to talk over the DTMF string.

Give that a try and let me know if that works.

There are some settings under the "Optional Features" "Common Page 3? screen, sounds like those are the ones you set.

JCase

You Sir are a genius !! There was no option for the Sidetone but once I clicked on the individual channel and then the "Ch Edit" button at the bottom right of the screen changing PTT ID from off to on did the trick. Since I am not familiar with this software (first Kenwood ever) I completely missed that button instead focusing on the drop down under "Edit" at the top of the page. I can't tell you how much your help is appreciated. You, taking the time to reply with your suggestion just solved a problem I've been trying to figure out for over a week. My staff definitely can't mistake that sound of six DTMF tones and will now know instantly to reply with the appropriate phrase and immediately start a response. If you ever get to the Daytona Beach area I owe you lunch for sure.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You Sir are a genius !! There was no option for the Sidetone but once I clicked on the individual channel and then the "Ch Edit" button at the bottom right of the screen changing PTT ID from off to on did the trick. Since I am not familiar with this software (first Kenwood ever) I completely missed that button instead focusing on the drop down under "Edit" at the top of the page. I can't tell you how much your help is appreciated. You, taking the time to reply with your suggestion just solved a problem I've been trying to figure out for over a week. My staff definitely can't mistake that sound of six DTMF tones and will now know instantly to reply with the appropriate phrase and immediately start a response. If you ever get to the Daytona Beach area I owe you lunch for sure.

Not a problem, glad I could help.

I've got about 150 emergency phones that are all wired analog lines, with a few cellular models in remote locations. I've looked at the Call24 products at various trade shows and am considering them as an option for a few cases.

JCase

Well, all of the manufacturers are expensive but the Call24 boxes are TOP quality, simple configuration, easy to maintain, great product. I lucked out and happened to search eBay at just the right time for the one I have. It was brand new (used), never installed. Just needed to add a new sealed lead 20 am hour battery and reprogram and it was ready to go. Found it for an absolute STEEL at $95. One of those once in every 5 years bargain find. I'm know they are worth 10 times that but my budget (my own pocket) just wouldn't handle full price. I have both a Call24 & a Ritron and while there's nothing wrong with the Ritron, the Call24 ranks #1 in my opinion. We're using them in a 1 square mile area with a 10watt repeater system and both actually work perfectly during testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.