• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can a Baofeng BF-F8HP pick up police scanner frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been a ham for about ten years and only after getting through two pretty bad hurricanes (Sandy and Irma) did I start to use my hand-helds for comms. One of my work buddies in the ER put me onto the Baofengs found on Amazon, and they seem to be pretty darn good bang for the buck. I used CHIRP to program the FRS/GMRS channels, Marine VHF, NOAA, MURS, etc and gave one to my wife as well.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is getting it to pick up the local EMS channels. I work in the ER and we have a dedicated radio there, but I wanted one for the car. Using CHIRP I extended the frequencies and set the tone mode to none, and duplex to off, just like I did with the NOAA channels, but still no go. I also tried setting the tone mode to on and putting the CTCSS in, but that didn't seem to work either. Any suggestions? I've seen some youtube videos using another software other than CHIRP, but that seems to only work on a PC and I have a Mac. I suppose I can try a family member's PC, but I wanted to throw it out here first to make sure I wasn't missing anything basic first.

Thanks in advance,
73 W2XYR

Citywide173

Feed Provider
UHF MED channels are usually in semi-duplex mode, meaning that you will usually hear the ER on the 463 frequency, while the transporting unit will be on the 468 frequency. Depending on which Baofeng you're using, you can set up the dual VFO to receive on each frequency to hear both sides of the conversation, but remember that you are using a small antenna inside a vehicle to hear another vehicle that is operating at a lower power that is affected by line of sight, so you might not hear much.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
First of all does the EMS to hospital use the UHF conventional channels, VHF localized channels or a 7/800 trunking?

Some places repeat the UHF med channels on duplex some don't.

Just make sure you disable PTT on public safety with those type of radios and also throw in a murs channel for input so you don't accidently key up on any public safety and avoid a talk around simplex key.

The other program I believe for those is the stock program some come with. I recall there was a site that had it just don't know the site off head for those type of radios but it's out there with some Google digging.

If it comes to mind later I'll post what it is called or if I find it.

Also those type of radios are VHF, UHF.

If anything is trunking I would recommend a G4 or G5 unication at most, or a scanner to make life easier without issues later.

Citywide173

Feed Provider
If you have the CTCSS, you can enter it but CSQ should be fine. I'm not familiar with the system there, son you might be better off with CSQ in case they use split PLs.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Based on the fact he has CTCSS tones, I didn't think trunking was a consideration.

Was just clarifying cause I seen some unsure call nacs or connect tones Pl tones so was making sure it was convenational uhf meds they use.

I would use a PL and if there is enough room throw them both in there as csq after the Pl toned set off scan incase split pl is used.

nd5y

Just make sure you disable PTT on public safety with those type of radios and also throw in a murs channel for input so you don't accidently key up on any public safety and avoid a talk around simplex key.
Baofeng radios don't have single-key talkaround or simplex function.
Setting Duplex to Off disables transmitting on that memory channel. There is no need to program inputs with a "safe" frequency.
In VFO mode there is no way to disable transmit.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
In general Baofeng radios are terrible scanners. They have limited frequency coverage and receive modes. You cannot legally transmit on them unless you have a ham license and stick to amateur bands. Yes you can program them to talk anywhere, but they are not type accepted on some frequencies (FRS, GMRS etc.) nor should you try to talk on public safety or business frequencies.

These radios scan very slowly compared to dedicated scanners and lack the types of controls found on scanners like lock out. You can't set up banks and they don't receive any digital transmissions.

If you want radios for family communications at a reasonable price look at the B-Tech GMRS V1. About $52 on Amazon. Type accepted for GMRS. Receive only capability is the same as the Baofeng. You need a GMRS license. No exam. $70 fee. Covers all family members. GMRS repeaters are available in many parts of the country.

It looks like your area is using an 800Mhz P25 Phase II system. Baofeng cannot receive any of this.

In general Baofeng radios are terrible scanners. They have limited frequency coverage and receive modes. You cannot legally transmit on them unless you have a ham license and stick to amateur bands. Yes you can program them to talk anywhere, but they are not type accepted on some frequencies (FRS, GMRS etc.) nor should you try to talk on public safety or business frequencies.

These radios scan very slowly compared to dedicated scanners and lack the types of controls found on scanners like lock out. You can't set up banks and they don't receive any digital transmissions.

If you want radios for family communications at a reasonable price look at the B-Tech GMRS V1. About $52 on Amazon. Type accepted for GMRS. Receive only capability is the same as the Baofeng. You need a GMRS license. No exam. $70 fee. Covers all family members. GMRS repeaters are available in many parts of the country.

It looks like your area is using an 800Mhz P25 Phase II system. Baofeng cannot receive any of this.

All good points. I have a general class license and just bought the GMRS license for our family and loaded the 2m and 70cm repeaters as well as the FRS, GMRS, Marine VHF, NOAA, and MURS on them. They would be super helpful during hurricanes, since both she and I work in the ER and not only were the cells down, the satphones really sucked and our house is only four miles from the hospital.

Anyhoo, re: the scanner, I guess I'll just go ahead and get something like a Unication, with some of my EMS friends use.

Thanks for the input everyone.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
His area has an 800 Mhz P25 Phase II trunked system which includes talk groups for EMS/Hospital communications. Someone with better local knowledge may have more information. However, it appears that they may not use MED channels anymore. Not everyone does especially when they have a trunked system for police, fire and EMS.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
All good points. I have a general class license and just bought the GMRS license for our family and loaded the 2m and 70cm repeaters as well as the FRS, GMRS, Marine VHF, NOAA, and MURS on them. They would be super helpful during hurricanes, since both she and I work in the ER and not only were the cells down, the satphones really sucked and our house is only four miles from the hospital.

The BF-F8HP, although it will transmit on FRS an GMRS channels, is NOT type accepted (legal) to use on those frequencies. MURS should be OK. Marine channels definitely not on land. Not type accepted there either.

I would never rely on a Baofeng radio in a true emergency. Not water resistant, receivers overload easily and not rugged enough. Worked with some operators using Baofengs during and ARES/CERT drill. We operated simplex and the Baofengs were deaf at short ranges due to desensing of the receivers.

I would look at radios that are submersible and mil-spec for emergency communications. I can't imagine a Baofeng lasting very long in a hurricane.

The BF-F8HP, although it will transmit on FRS an GMRS channels, is NOT type accepted (legal) to use on those frequencies. MURS should be OK. Marine channels definitely not on land. Not type accepted there either.

I would never rely on a Baofeng radio in a true emergency. Not water resistant, receivers overload easily and not rugged enough. Worked with some operators using Baofengs during and ARES/CERT drill. We operated simplex and the Baofengs were deaf at short ranges due to desensing of the receivers.

I would look at radios that are submersible and mil-spec for emergency communications. I can't imagine a Baofeng lasting very long in a hurricane.

After the General class exam they hammered that Marine VHF was not usable on land unless during an emergency. Thus the FRS and GMRS.

I have a really nice Yaesu that does essentially the same thing except has GPS, and was at least 10x the price. As long as my wife has some VHF/UHF way to get a hold of me across town I'm satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.