Can a digital radio make use of an analog repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

human8472

Can a digital radio make use of an analog repeater to relay to another digital radio? I am thinking probably not but I am not sure so I figured I would ask. The same frequency is being used in both analog and digital but am I correct in thinking that the analog repeater would not know how to rebroadcast a digital signal? Thank you.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No, not as is. There have been some threads over on the Batboard that explain how to modify some analog radios to pass P25 but a straight, analog repeater will not pass any digital voice.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If you see a mixed mode repeater (analogue/P25) then Yes it can pass both analogue and digital signals.

The repeater will repeat what it detects on the input.

Last edited:

Even the repeaters that are modded from analog have limitations. What happens in a true digital repeater is that the signal is broken down, re-clocked, maybe error correction applied, and then reconstructed and rebroadcast. Removing any audio shaping (the mod) and just running the repeater straight through simply takes whatever it hears and sends it out to the transmitter. The range might be reduced substantially.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
There a few repeaters in and around Calgary that are analog and digital. However, I have logged these out because of the insistent noise associated with digital, no matter if TRBO, P25, D-star. Even though they may pass analog, there is absolutely no point in putting up with the noise. I just wish that there would be an agreement to put digital repeaters on certain portion of the band, similar to how sideband is and digital modes on HF. Until we see what falls out in these various digital modes, I am not going to jump in to join the latest and greatest as over the years have done that only to have bricks for VCRs, Cassettes, computers, etc..

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

robertmac said:
There a few repeaters in and around Calgary that are analog and digital. However, I have logged these out because of the insistent noise associated with digital, no matter if TRBO, P25, D-star. Even though they may pass analog, there is absolutely no point in putting up with the noise. I just wish that there would be an agreement to put digital repeaters on certain portion of the band, similar to how sideband is and digital modes on HF. Until we see what falls out in these various digital modes, I am not going to jump in to join the latest and greatest as over the years have done that only to have bricks for VCRs, Cassettes, computers, etc..

If it is a mixed mode(NXDN,DMR or P25) repeater, 99.9999999999999999% will atleast transmit PL and will probably require PL on the input. The VE6RPT, as an example, repeater uses 218.3Hz on analogue and NAC $293 for P25, Set your PL and you will not hear the digital stuff... Except for the D-Star... Just lock it out. No mixed mode D-Star repeaters that I know of in Calgary or Alberta.

If you do not adapt, you get left behind. If you wait, then when you adopt, people have moved on. While I waited to buy a D-Star radio, I have decided I want to be on the leading edge, rather than waiting and asking 'where did every one go?'

Edmonton is getting a DMR repeater shortly, with it haveing the lowest DMR-MARC repeater I'd for Alberta. this repeater will NOT be mixed mode, straight digital.

For less than CA$300, including programming cable, spare battery, and speaker mic, to play on a digital mode that is not currentl available in Alberta to the ham community. For the price, why wait to try digital modes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.