Can a PRO668 be programed by EZSCAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I'm helping someone program their older PRO668. I have been doing it with the RadioShack PRO-668 over the years but it appears updating the RRDB now causes the application to crash miserably. (Updates -> Check for Library Update)

Is there a way to either bulk import the database into the app manually, sneak a copy onto the disk somewhere, or can the PRO668 be configured by EZSCAN without a firmware upgrade? I'd hate to ask someone to firmware upgrade their scanner remotely and cause them to brick it.

hill

Premium Subscriber
You need to use the Radio Shack software. If you purchase the upgrade than can use Whistler software to program it.

Also to update the database now you have to manually download the updates from the site linked and copy into the software, as automatic database updates doesn't work. I think there was a forum tread on this site on how to update it.

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, wouldn't you have to install the Whistler Legacy Upgrade first for the PRO668 before you can use the EZ scan
software?

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
Right a PRO-668 can only use the Radio Shack iScan software, as I said two posts up.

If northernsummit sends the PRO668 into Whistler to have them install the Legacy Upgrade for $59.99 the he could use the
EZ scan software. I guess I didn't make myself clear enough two post up. As I said.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Thanks guys. It's not my scanner I'm helping someone out remotely by configuring it and sending him the CDAT file out of the original radio shack software. I wasn't sure if the upgrade was required just to use the other software or if it was smart enough to know how to talk to the older generation :). So I just manually copy/pasted the data in to add a few talk groups. But now that he says he never hears anything digital I'm wondering if this thing needs that upgrade, or if his $60 is just better spent on a better / newer scanner. Appreciate the input!

hill

Premium Subscriber
If you sent him a file from original files in the software it would be very outdated by now and maybe something changed on the ystem, since then. Should update based on comments from me above with systems changing all the time.

Should be able to still get digital, but could be simulcast issues. I use a PRO-668 and works alright.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
If you sent him a file from original files in the software it would be very outdated by now and maybe something changed on the ystem, since then. Should update based on comments from me above with systems changing all the time.

Should be able to still get digital, but could be simulcast issues. I use a PRO-668 and works alright.

I'm actually really familiar with the site in question so I manually configured it in the Trunking Radio Systems as a Project25, added all of the channels right out of RRDB, made the mode NFM, etc.

He and I live within a mile of the nearest simulcast tower so I'm fairly certain he should be able to hear it well even with his antenna off (I can with my Unidens). If I put a high gain or a dipole on my scanners up here I do hear simulcast issues, but not off a rubber duck on a handheld.

Here is a dumb question - what will the display show if the scanner has a good receive of the control channel? I built a playlist that is strictly digital talk groups, nothing conventional. In theory if he plays that playlist he should see a solid indicator of the control channel being received, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.